Author Topic: non rational drug using kids.  (Read 6653 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
non rational drug using kids.
« on: May 02, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
Who here has had them, and did you place them in a seed type program?

Who has found rolling papers on your kid?  Joints?  Smelled alcohol?  Who has had kids that misbehave and are/were unrully?  

How did you deal with it, and what was the final result.

I will start.  My son, after my divorce, started drinking.  He also hung around kids that smoked pot, but to this day says he only tried it once or twice.  He also said he like to be around kids on extasy because he found it 'fascinating'.

I immediately, as Art would have suggested, placed him in SAFE under court order.

Just kidding.  I showed my displeasure in his decisions but tried to support him.  I worried.  I saw him drive drunk and had him adamantly profess he 'washnt dhrunk' to my frustrated face.

Last week I went to his college graduation party.  He now has a 4 year degree and is planning on teaching school while he applies for graduate school.

My daughter just turned 16, and is getting a little "stinky".

Sigh....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:29:00 PM »
Ask her for some of it, and give her a small lecture on using it responsibly when you're both high.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »
pretty funny.  I don't get high. I hope my daughter refrains as well.

anyone care to seriously answer the question?

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
Sorry I guess I'm really getting old.  Please define "stinky".  We never had kids & I guess I'm not around my neices and nephewes all that much to hear new slang.

Unless I'm just a little dense and you mean she smells like pot.

I've said this before but my younger brothers never came on the program.  I know my youngest brother never even tried pot.  The other two did a couple of times but turned out OK.  I never tried to get them on the program.  They were not out of control like me.  Although my one brother is a Baptist minister (we were all raised Catholic) so maybe smoking pot a couple of times leads to the Baptist Ministry.  

:grin:

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
I am really interested in this topic as well.  My kids have a few years, but I gotta say I don't really know how I would handle it and it is better to sort out the options from a distance.

G

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »
I'm already thinking about this and my daughter has just had her first birthday!

I think about my wife. She's a bit younger than me, so kids her age (gen x, not a boomer like me) did experiment but kind of knew what the consequences might be. They did some drinking, and other things, and all went on to be responsible, wage-earning people, now getting married and having their own kids.

I look at it this way - this stuff is out there, it will never be banned. I would hope to keep my daughter away from it for as long as possible, but at some point, she'll be exposed and I want her to understand what it is and why it's attractive to some people and why it's dangerous for some. I have several alcoholics in my family, some in AA and some who died or nearly did so I can see this. On the other hand, when I left the Seed I decided to use my own judgement so I did experiment, drink, and of course, smoke cigarettes which were by far the most difficult substance of all. I still drink in moderation, but I don't want that to be a central part of my daughter's life.

I think kids who are more vulnerable because they are lonely or angry or sad are going to have substance abuse issues. I think it's more a symptom than a cause early on, until it can become it's own major problem for addicts. [ This Message was edited by: cleveland on 2006-05-03 12:37 ][ This Message was edited by: cleveland on 2006-05-03 12:37 ]
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
It's kinda funny.  Most times its people that sill smoke pot and drink that always say cigarettes were the toughest to quit.

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
cigarettes were the hardest to quit;

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:33:00 PM »
Stinky..meaning argumentative (what we would have called in the day "druggie attitude"). I see no signs of drug use.  YOu know, a typical 16 year old kid that wakes up and for a time resents her parents.

I am interested in what avenue people with kids have taken for 'treatment' or whatever.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 03:08:00 PM »
Hey Greg.... I sure feel what you going through.  I am a single mom with a 15 year old girl and a 17 year old boy.  My daughter is freshman at Hyde school in Bath Maine.  She struggled with body image and effects of a horrible divorce not so much drugs and booze.  Though I know comming home last winter break she partied with an old school mate it was a disaster.  She worries about her brother who definately likes to experiment.  I am totally truthful with them and even talk about the seed since finding this site.  I really talk about the people who choose to make it a lifestyle and how they have no life or should I say good health.  Kids are not stupid if I lie to mine they know it..I rather speak the truth to them and model that and they will call me on my shit.  I gotta to be humble enough to handle their feedback....especially my girl there is a lot of anger and drama can go a long way at 15 and should know I see myself a lot in her.  Karen K.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
On 2006-05-03 09:27:00, Johnny G wrote:

"cigarettes were the hardest to quit;"

And strangely, implicitely approved by the seed.  My mother is on her death bed due to cigarrettes and still keeps smoking.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
I think 1980 ...everyone stopped smoking just about.  or early 80's anyway.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Offline Seth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »
Cigartettes were approved by the Seed.

Millions of people everywhere were hooked by the cigarette habit, Seed folks and other folks all included.   Hell even the FDA approved of them for the longest time.  It even took decades for them to be outlawed in resteraunts and other public placed.  If you REALLY wanted to argue the case it would not be inappropriate to state that the damned government was negligent in not making them illegal due to the health hazard involved.   Corporate self interests aside.

Hahah I smoked Kools back then and couldnt wait for the rap leader to light one up.  It was always traumatic when a non-smoking person led the rap.

I remember driving through that seminole reservation and totally being disgusted with myself, yet buying that carton over and over each and every week.  I hated every minute of smoking yet could not quit.  I did about 3 packs a day.

Finally I had a heart attack.  The two weeks of cigarette free hospitalization which followed gave me enough of a head start that I was able to continue thereafter without cigarettes and I have never wanted to go back.

For me, in a way,  it was perhaps the same as giving up the drug culture lifestyle.  ( I was no weekend warrior).  I hated that also but just didnt know how to go about changing it until someone else showed me how.

I have honestly never had any desire to smoke cigarettes since that day.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »
Thanks Ft Laud.

I quit at 18, but I will always remember getting packs of malboro red box from home, and also requesting the white tees with the pocket top.  Then At 14, I trotted all around with the cigs in my top pocket. Pretty much everyone had cigs and a white tee, hair parted on the side, and jeans. It was, in 1973, the unofficial seed uniform for the 'guys'. Since the seed approved, my father didn't say anything.  It seems Seedlings were almost alone in the ability to smoke cigarrettes in front of our parents.

Ironically, it proved to be far more dangerous than drinking or smoking dope.  Go figure.

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
I make home oxygen systems for treatment of smoking related diseases (emphesema etc.) I can't believe how many are sold.

I am also amazed that those that come in for repair are coated with cigarette residue ... go figure :???: