Author Topic: sagewalk wilderness camp in oregon  (Read 3736 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
sagewalk wilderness camp in oregon
« on: April 24, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
does anybody have any information on this widerness camp? Sage walk wilderness camp. Im thinking of sending my amazingly talented son in hope it will help him with some of the poor choices hes been making. Hard decision need feedback
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
This is probably not the forum likely to offer a positive suggestion about any therapeutic school, program, whatever other than a fully-licensed psychiatric hospital or local outpatient program!  However, Sagewalk is one of a number of "wilderness" programs that can accomlish many good things for participants.  I might recomend it under some circumstances, although I'd probably lean toward other places first.

Actually, I'd not recommend any particular program without knowing more.  Certainly, first steps ought to include local counselling, probably including serious family therapy and a cooperating family.  While your son's "choices" may be troubling to you, there may be something you are doing (without realizing it) that contributes to his making of poor choices.

You might also consider a family vacation - perhaps a camping trip - after a few counselling/therapy sessions, depending on how things progress.  Finally, if you do decide that a wilderness program is appropriate (and sometimes it is), you also might need to prepare for something further.  It depends on a lot of factors.

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?So ... 37&start=0
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... 8&forum=37

Also, do a search for "Sagewalk" on this site.  A lot comes up because Sagewalk was the setting for Brat Camp.

You might also look up wilderness camps in general.  I think the Teen Advocates USA website has a lot of info about them.

Wilderness camps have gotten a lot of press coverage in recent years because several deaths have occurred in them.  Overall, the staff at these places seem uneducated and untrained to recognize even obvious signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration.

I have no experience with wilderness camps, but I have kept myself pretty informed on the problems with the industry.
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
We sent my stepson to SageWalk recently.  He was there for 60 days.  Four of us from his family went up for his graduation.  The counselors are an amazing group of people that really try to help the teens.  Was it successful for my stepson?  I don't know yet but it was an intervention for him that he desperately needed.  He actually loved it, was proud of his physical accomplishments there, was proud of the work he did while there, and seemed to have a changed attitude about making good decisions.  He has now moved on to boarding school and seems to be making progress (albeit slow).  The decision to send him to SageWalk was extremely difficult and we had to make it quickly.  Looking back it was a great decision and a life saving one at that.  I highly recommend SageWalk if your teen needs a wakeup call.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Read the real posts, then read the trolls.

Actually this whole topic is a troll. Real parents don't say "poor choices", they discuss actual behaviors if anything.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:56:00 PM »
Yes, Paul, real people use the term "poor choices" and "in crisis" and a myriad of the other terms you say only "programmies" use.  Mostly, these terms (that are used by lay people) are learned in prior therapy that was ineffective.

Original poster:  Second Nature Wilderness Program in Clayton, GA is among the best and I recommend it highly.  My child's psychiatrist recommended it to me.  I knew nothing about the industry until then.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Also, don't be foolish enough to talk about your son's specific behaviors on Fornits.  Do not divulge anything about your identity.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:07:00 PM »
Yeah, because Heywood Jablomi on the Internet is going to recognize your son just based on what you tell us he's doing.

Not even my organization can do that...

Sofa king, we todd did.

At any rate, there's no actual parent on this thread (and if there are any, I strongly recommend reading the rest of Fornits instead of what a bunch of paid cockblocks tell you), so there's no sense in responding to this crap.