Author Topic: "the rules"  (Read 10717 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"the rules"
« on: April 23, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »
The ONLY one I remember is:

"Guys must wear shirts, chicks must wear bras, and everyone must wear hard-soled shoes."

Of course, since I was eleven, it was quite an (enjoyable) novelty to be thought of as a "chick" AND to wear a bra!

I wonder if the other real young kids were, like me, too enamoured with "being around older kids" (and being thought of one) to have taken anything else to heart.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
i was at the cleveland seed. remember the rule "smoking on the hour'????

Offline dave-m

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »
Dave Moss here. Cleveland Seed. Thanks Karen K :smile:

too cool.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
Dave, what year?

I was there in the last three months before it moved to Florida.

w
ally Gator

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
I think I remember that name.  Did you move down to FL ?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 04:16:00 PM »
It was "smoking on the hour, and when Senior Staff smokes."

Whenver the rap leader would light up, a virtual cloud of ciggie smoke would rise up to the ceiling of that 105 degree warehouse, mixing with the smell of fiberglass and human sweat.

rules?  How about "no talking to the press"  

After reading the early 70s era articles about Art and the Seed, one needn't ponder this rule for too long.

:grin:  :grin:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 04:17:00 PM »
Welcome Dave M.!

Please tell us something you remember about the Clevland Seed, and thanks for posting.

Offline dave-m

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
my memory is shit. but i think it was "76". And no. i did not go to florida.

i was 14 years old when my parents "enrolled" me in the seed. but ya' know what. I had OD'd 3 or 4 times on tuanal's. so i was like 'whatever". that pretty much was my atitude throughout my time at the seed. i did graduate (took forevever). during my time there and after, i was havin a ball being able to do drugs and not OD!

what i remember about the seed. Hmmmm. well, i could'nt wait for lunch/dinner time. cleaning the big block spanish tile floor in the main hallway behind the 'rap room". doing silly excersises downstairs in some tacky basement. always being told i had a bad attitude by the staff. (i did. like i said earlier "whatever"). Playing softball in the summer. feeling awsome when we would have a "rap'" outside in nice weather.

i did vibe with staff members scotty & terry. they were funny.

and my mom used to bring in the best food for all of us to eat at dinner time.

[ This Message was edited by: dave-m on 2006-04-24 13:38 ]

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
Dave,

I visited the Cleveland Seed building recently and the block tile is still there. Remember the fire place with some fancy tiles in it in the rap room? Remember the saint statues near the front door? They're gone now. Or did I imagine them?

When did you graduate? Do you remember Alex, whose parents owned a restaurant? Do you remember Miller's? Another restaurant. Aparently I'm obsessed with food.

Scott and Terry. Well, I knew them too. Scott was hilarious - remember the story about getting a black eye and putting a steak on it and passing out, or something like that? He was the reason I said Yes to coming into the Seed.

I still live in Cleveland, by the way. Doing well.

w
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »
I got a rule  EVERYBODY WEAR HARD SOLE SHOES!!!!
Dave I am glad your on board   Karen

Offline dave-m

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 02:53:00 AM »
what's up W!  (who are you? do you know me? do i know you?)

BIG SHOUT OUT to Karen K. Did we REALLY have that amazing conversation over the phone two day's ago?   yep.
Y O U  R O C K!  i appreciate our friendship and never take it for granite. 20 + years strong and gettin' better each year.

W. I don't know when i graduated. Hell, i can't even remember where the f#@k i put my car key's. but i did graduate. and yes, i do remember the tacky statues and the fireplace.

but check this out. Remember how they used to drill into our impressionable little minds that are parents were the BOMB and we weren't? shit, my mom was cool and all but she really needed to be medicated.

i bet there are allot of us who had destructive parents and we kept thinking everything was our fault.

i made peace with all that stuff many years later after i read this book called TOXIC PARENTS.

W.  i live in los angeles.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 06:10:00 AM »
hey dave it is may of 76 we entered as little seedings on the front row together........heck we were 'druggie' friends before that........i'll never tell your age!!!and yes dolores [dave's mom ] made the best food to bring in... no pb/j when she was running the kichen.........karen

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 07:58:00 AM »
Dave,

Were you on the front row with my brother, Evan? Check out the link above, from the Cato institute. Very interesting. He ran away three times...and he also lives in LA today.

Yeah, I also read Toxic Parents. Turned out my mom, a very wonderful person, also seems to have had some major depression, manic depression, and was working her way up to full blown alcoholism. She was pretty nutty during my teen years, not much support there, although she was 'doing her best' under the circumstances. My dad was the classic work twelve hours, come home, have a couple of drinks, and zone out kind of guy...no softball leagues or camping trips for me. It wasn't all bad, but that was a big part of what I was missing when I went into the seed - parenting. My parents were trying to raise themsilves - both came from families where heavy drinking was normal. I waited until my late 40s to have a child, hope to god I'm ready now.

Whatever Seed kids I ran into during my first three months were a blur, unless I lived with them, and even those memories are hazy...

Take care.

w
ally Gator

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
Actually Karen, I remember your x mother-in-law as being the best cook for lunches.  I still remember that after 30 years.

I think the average kid gained 20 lbs back then.

no food deprevation going on according to my scales.

Offline NOT12NOW

• View Profile
"the rules"
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »
I definitely felt that way when I came into the program, equal parts fear and awe.  I exaggerated my drug use in my interview cause I wanted to impress Suzy and Scott. After I was admitted, and Scott was introducing me, saying my name and the drugs I'd done (pot and alcohol) he asked if I wanted to add any other drugs-- even though my parents had just left me in this weird place and I was really scared I had to stifle a smile.  It stroked my to my 12yr old  ego.

Had no idea what I was in for
leveland chick 76-77