Author Topic: "update"  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"update"
« on: December 24, 2002, 01:01:00 AM »
Hi,

i posted to this board a few months back, asking for info about the history and legality of AARC, to whom my brother was handed over 9 months ago. (thanks again to Wes, antigen and velvet for their support and foresight last summer; i've just re-read your replies, and things have panned out more or less as you feared they would...)  soon after i posted, my dad, obviously tipped-off by AARC staff, posted his own message/challenge/demand here and asked to "hear your stories", which many very generously told.

(anyone else still being embarassed by their parents in public?)

anyway, i just wanted to let you know how things are going.

i just got off the phone with my AARCed brother, who i hadn't been allowed to correspond with for the past 9 months.  the last time i spoke to him was also on the phone: i had been told by my parents that he would be voluntarily entering the program the following day, and so could i please call at such and such a time to lend my support, say 'chin up', that i was there for him, etc.  i objected vigorously, then as now, with "normalizing" my wayward bro through thought-control, but i was *really* apoplectic at the idea of him being forced into the place against his will, which had been the earlier threat.  but apparently he had now seen the light, admitted his helplessness, and agreed to go to an 'initial meeting' to discuss the possibility of being 'recovered' at AARC.

i hated the idea of endorsing the idea that AARC is a valid therapeutic option, but reasoned that i might be the only skeptical voice my bro would be hearing for a while. and so, reluctantly, i called, he answered, and after a few leading questions like 'so, are you alright about this, are you nervous, what exactly happens tomorrow?' -- to which he replied with increasing mystification -- i realized he had no idea what was going on, and that my dad had lied about him 'accepting his fate' and agreeing to the meeting.  he was very clearly still out of the loop, and about to be ambushed.  i'll always regret not saying then and there RUN FOR THE HILLS! or ROVER, IT AIN'T THE VET YOU'RE GOING TO SEE TOMORROW!, but instead i just asked my perplexed, but alas, unsuspicious brother to put my dad on.  cue yelling.  anyway, that was the last time i heard my brother's voice until tonight -- utterly befuddled by my nonsensical abortive pep-talk.

tonight he answered too -- he's been back at home since late august.  first thing i noticed was how much the pitch of his voice has changed (he sounds a lot more like me); second thing was the tone: upbeat in a hollow sort of way, needlessly eager and 'positive' about everything from the weather to what he was watching on tv.  which was most unlike his former self.  anyway it didn't take long before i was making grasping attempts at damage assessment, trying to ascertain whether he's had a tune-up, or an overhaul.  i said it had been a long time since we talked, and that a lot had happened since then, etc, and asked in a general way about AARC.  now, this bro had a very laconic, sneering sense of humour before 'recovery', but it seems that not a scrap of irony or detachment is even intelligible to him now.  a string of breathless, formulaic platitudes were delivered with a practiced air -- i got a very strong impression that he was used to doing this, and, what is worse, that he got some sort of satisfaction out of rehearsing the AARC catechism.

it was a cookie-cutter speech more than a conversational reply, and it rapidly became apparent that not only the phrasing but the thinking was utterly robotic.  i mildly questioned the doctrine of personal powerlessness, and abject dependence on The Program (as revealed in what he rather disturbing called The Big Book), by suggesting that what progress he has, undoubtledly made in overcoming some serious problems was surely at least PARTLY down to his own, inward strength -- that in fact he MUST have had some independent hand in the matter, and so was not powerless after all.  this met with the very same mystification of 9 months ago.  when i pressed him on whether it wasn't worth questioning any of the jargon he now expertly dispenses, he actually said to me "i don't know what to say."

i noticed a rather chilling lack of frustration or exasperation with my increasingly rebarbative second-guessings -- but it became obvious that my brother didn't really ackonwledge that we were having an argument, contesting a point that was up for grabs -- i was simply mistaken, and he couldn't find quite the right way of correcting me. nothing to ruffle the feathers there -- he spoke with a calm, self-validating authority which made every certitude beyond doubt.

so i suggested more forcefully that his speechlessness, his not knowing what to say next, was itself good evidence that he had previously been reading from a kind of script...at which point he simply put the phone down and walked away.  i hope it's not 9 months before i get to talk to him again; but on this evidence it seems i won't *ever* be talking to the person i called 9 months ago, again.

also creepily notable: after my mom picked up the abandoned receiver, i learned that my family are having xmas dinner tomorrow *at AARC*, with no private meal at home to complement it.  maybe not significant in itself, but indulge a literary person a bit of interpretation: AARC has usurped the function of my extended family, at the traditional time for refreshing and celebrating familial bonds.  the official devotions tomorrow at AARC will no doubt be Christian, but implicit to this unorthodox xmas is a *consecration* of the institutional community, a sacralizing of the shared bond (of dependence to AARC). the structural movements of the christian story take on an eerie second sense in such a scenario: sacrifice, rebirth, redemption -- or is that 'recovery'?

any of this sound familiar?  debunking and analyzing it like this is cold comfort, but the only way i get any sense of control over how this is working.  i don't know if i'll answer the phone when my parents call tomorrow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
"update"
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 01:48:00 AM »
Contact me by private e-mail over the next few days.  I'd like to hear more.
I'm in Edmonton
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
"update"
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2002, 09:26:00 PM »
Hey buddy,
   Thanks for they update. I wish the news were better. Reading your story, I'm sadened for you and your family but also, surprisingly, a little envyous of your brother. When I was in his shoes (or very similar) I used to daydream about getting out and rejoining my older brothers and sisters in the real world. It never happened. All but one of them were Seed graduates. They just don't talk about it so I don't know really what they're thinking. I only know they have never been more than rigidly cordial with me and, most of the time, openly hostile and condescending.

I think you've got a pretty good grasp on things wrt the Program usurping the role of family. It is, after all, a cult and that's what they do. But, in all likelihood, your little brother won't be brainwashed forever. Sooner or later, he's got to grow up and gain some kind of independence. The good news is that most people sort of come out from under it at some point. The bad news is that that's a very rough patch of road to cover for a lot of people. At least the kid won't be alone in the world when that happens. That's why I envy him.

Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it can do something to the people
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson.

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
"update"
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2002, 09:51:00 PM »
Hey Kilgore. I am happy to hear that you've been able to speak with your brother, but sad to hear the results, and sad to hear that it's been so long since you've spoken and could be some time again. What you said brought back a lot of memories. The whether and all of the little things that he sounded so excited about, I'm sure that he really is. Little privaleges like talking to a relative on the phone are a huge deal, and every little thing you can find some happiness in you search for, kind of like prisoners of war and their pet mice/rats.

I'm glad that you are forward enough to be able to have a simple argument with him, but right now he can't go there. Later on when he's further away from it he may be able to get into it with you. In the meantime he knows how you feel, and he just wants someone outside of AARC to still support him through it, and if when he's ready he sees someone like you who is not in AARC or the 12 steps and yet is still a functioning human being who is not spiritually dead or physically dying, then perhaps he'll really be able to hear you.

Have you also not have had close contact with your parents all of this time?

Best of wishes,

Velvet.

Offline Serpico

• View Profile
    • http://www.straightincorporated.com
"update"
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2002, 10:16:00 PM »
Resd the post about your brother. We are international survivors action committee who is doing research into AARC right now and would be happy to hear from you.

our website is:www.straightincorporated.com

and our email is:[email protected]

Perhaps we can help you.

Your friend
Serpico