Author Topic: 76-77 Seed Grads  (Read 15127 times)

Offline Dr. Rick

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« on: April 06, 2006, 05:05:00 PM »
WOW!!!  You have to love the age in which we live. I found this site by total chance.  (Actually, while looking for pairing's for an upcoming golf tournament) I cannot believe all of the discussions, posts, and ex-grads of the Seed on this board. I simply had no idea that anyone from an era long-gone was still actively acknowledging this time in his or her life.  I have often felt as I was the only one who ever wondered; what ever happened to ... or what about...etc.   The funny thing is I remember everything from my 30 years ago like it was yesterday.  After reading many of the posts on this board, I feel like I have just stepped back into 1976.  I remember: rap sessions, moral inventories, jingle bells, PB sandwiches, open night, straightening hundreds of chairs for Friday nights, the nasty smell of cigarette smoke layered on the concrete walls and floors, the softball games out back (and when Art would explode if his team lost), as a weekender sometimes going to homes which had little food and often no bed for me, the apartments, Big Jim from Georgia, little Chris, Cliff, all of the staff mentioned on this board, etc.

However, what I remember the most, are the people and the relationships we shared during this brief but very important time in our lives.  Again, I often wonder what ever happened to so and so?  I do not have nor do I carry ANY bad feelings about this time and quite frankly do not remember anyone from the Seed staff ever mistreating me or hurting me in any way. (Perhaps I should, I don't know) Additionally, I have a much better appreciation and understanding of how much my parents loved
me and what they went through during this time in our lives.  

At the end of the day, the Seed, without question, put one very insecure, stupid, bad-attitude teenager on the right road which has gone on to accomplish many great things in his life and for that I am blessed and thankful.

Anyone from 75-77 remember these folks:
Duane (Cameron) D.
Terry R.
Ann Lee D.
John A.
Chris C.
Bonnie H.
Chase C.
Terri S.
Shaun T.

Lastly, Greg, I think I know who you are.  Let's rap.  And can anyone from this era remember the name of a very pretty blonde, tanned, blue-eyed girl from Ft. Lauderdale who drove her father's Mercedes convertible?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Magpie

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 08:32:00 AM »
Dr. Rick -
So which Seed were you in.  I looked at that list of people and did not recognize any names but maybe Ft. Lauderdale will--he has a better memory than I do.  

Take care, Magpie

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 07:11:00 PM »
Welcome!

I went to St Pete, so you may have me confused. Email me or send me a private message if you want to talk, or just post it here.

Offline Dr. Rick

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
Sorry. I forgot there was more than one Seed.  I was at Ft. Lauderdale on SR84.  However, many of my friends had gone to St. Pete.

Greg:  Do the names Brad W. , Bonnie H., Ann Lee D. , ring a bell?  They were in St. Pete in 75-76 time frame.  I have the faces of many others but it's been so long I can only remember their first names, which would not help you.

Offline Magpie

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:39:00 AM »
I was in St. Pete Seed in '74/75 and moved to Ft. Laud in '76 and stayed around until '79.  So I wouldn't have known anyone at St. Pete after '75.  It was also a good experience for me and my life.  There were some tough times but I grew from them.  I hope you are doing well.  I might know who you are but I am not sure.  You can send me a Private Message.  Did you live in Ft. Lauderdale and then go away to college?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »
I graduated in mid 74 and didn't have much to do with the seed after that.  So no, I don't remember those names.

Sorry.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
There was a Colin S during that time that I know, and I also know what became of him.

If this rings a bell, let me know.

Thanks.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:05:00 PM »
DR RICK - were you in Ohio?  Are you a school counselor or psychologist?

Offline Dr. Rick

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 11:11:00 AM »
Sorry, I should have stated in my original post that I was @ the Seed in Ft.Lauderdale. Actually, I do not recall any other Seeds but the one's in Florida.  Memory loss I guess.

In answer to the question, I'm neither a counselor or a psychologist.  I'm in the medical/surgery field.  I specialize with patients who suffer from Parkinson's disease and Essential tremor.

Offline Seth

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 02:17:00 PM »
Dr Rick I was at the seed during the years that you had mentioned.   If you want to chat a bit please send me a PM.
  Nice to hear from you and glad to see you are well and feel positively about your experiences.

Offline Dr. Rick

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 03:20:00 PM »
Seth - I will send you a PM.  In the interim, the Seth I am thinking about shared an apartment with another guy who owned a pet snake, lived near some railroads tracks next door to war veteran who buried his car in the backyard and would take newcomers to the Seed in the AM in the back of his old pickup truck.  Is this one in the same?  I hope you are doing well.

Offline Seth

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »
Yup thats me.  Ohh yea

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Seth, I didn't know you had lived in the apartment in Hollywood. It was really sort of a cottage or shack - the porch was dirt, the doors were so narrow we had to saw the legs off our couch to get it thru the door, and you had to walk thru the shower to get into the back bedroom - what a dump! Actually, those were some of my happiest Seed days - I lived there with Mitch, Mike and maybe one other person. I worked with Jim Helm for the one-armed plater. We were far from staff and other seed kids, and had a lot of freedom, comparatively. We used to hold wrestling matches, fool around and laugh like crazy. No wonder staff broke us up before too long!

The guy who buried a VW in his front yard was our neighbor - he had the house surrounded by sandbags, and he used to wear a uniform and was never out during the day, only at night when he would rant at rave at 3 am about blacks and jews - truly scary.

Odd how much I loved that place. That was before Mitch became a snooty insider with a fancy job title. He was my best friend for a while, though.

w
ally Gator

Offline Johnny G

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
Yea I lived in the hollywood apt / dump.  I remember a sign that said "don't kill the mice, they eat roaches."  then Mark G brought home some ferrets - they ate the mice.  Lived there with Jack H, Craig D, Jeff and ??? (brothers from Jupiter) - we also had the place next door (opposite the crazy guy) - I think Jeff N lived there as well

the remoteness, and proximity to Jaxsons, made it a pretty cool place

G

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
76-77 Seed Grads
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »
Heck I loved living there.

The guy next door was a war veteran who's war inujuries had sadly their toll.

Myself and a couple other guys were the first to live there as we had moved in shortly after graduation our program...  so it was all graduates for a very long time.  As you mentioned tho those cottages were eventually rented out to guys who were on the program.  I believe they were owned by a family who had a son on the program at one time.

We did a lot of fishing in those days so we were always finding new ways to cook kingfish and dolphin.  We also made a few trips to disneyworld.  I believe it was Bruce S who had the boa, and another guy George Z also lived there.   There were both great guys and we had a lot of good times living there.  Yea they were kinda dumpy but it didnt matter to me.  I think that I was still pumping gas part time at a gas station somewhere so it was probably all I could afford anyway.      

George had this hamster or gerbil or some wierd assed rodent type thing and he would imitate the noise that it made and have us all rolling in laughter.

Definately had some good times there.