Author Topic: Even in England Boys and Girls  (Read 9953 times)

Offline OverLordd

• View Profile
Even in England Boys and Girls
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4722652.stm

A link to the artical

Text

Child 'jail' restraint criticised  

The inquiry was launched after the death of Gareth Myatt, 15
An unacceptable level of pain is being used to restrain children in secure custody, a report says.
The independent investigation into the treatment of children in prison, led by Lord Carlile, found pain was used to enforce compliance.

That was "unacceptable" and may be illegal, the report said.

The investigation was set up following the death of a 15-year-old boy in a privately-run secure unit while he was being restrained by three adult staff.

The inquiry, commissioned by the Howard League for Penal Reform, looked into the use of restraint techniques and strip searching.

Varying figures

It found that physical force was used against youngsters 15,512 times during a 21-month period in England and Wales, with injuries to both staff and children not uncommon.

Liberal Democrat Lord Carlile said his team of advisors "shared my shock at some of the practices we witnessed".

"We found that some of the treatment children in custody experience would in another setting be considered abusive and could trigger a child protection investigation."

Staff have permission to deliberately hurt children

Carolyne Willow
Children's Rights Alliance for England

Youth death sparked review
Send us your comments  

Figures varied between institutions - in which there are in total 2,800 children and young people held in England and Wales, including 200 girls.

At one secure training centre, Medway in Kent, 1,818 injuries to children as a result of restraint from January 2004 to June 2005 were reported.

At Rainsbrook near Rugby there were 118, Hassockfield in County Durham reported 177 and Oakhill in Milton Keynes listed 48 from its opening in September 2004 to August 2005.

A sample of five out of 24 local authority secure children's homes in England and Wales revealed 73 injuries to children from January 2004 to August 2005.

Young offenders institutions did not keep central records of how many children had been injured in restraint incidents.

The inquiry found some evidence that staff would "bait" children into situations that would lead to them being restrained for the adult's "own gratification".

The level of pain used may be illegal, the report says

The report accepts that many of the 10 to 17-year-olds held in young offender institutions, secure training centres and local authority secure children's homes have had chaotic and abusive childhoods and lack clear boundaries to their behaviour.

But it said that unnecessarily painful restraint techniques were used to deal with dissent in some institutions.

Handcuffs were used in the four privately-run secure training centres, something the inquiry says should stop.

And the need for a strip search should be based on evidence, something the report says would cut the number of strip searches by half.

The Youth Justice Board chairman Professor Rod Morgan said staff were encouraged to use non-physical methods to deal with difficult behaviour.

"We want to move to a situation where the staff have sufficient confidence and are sufficiently well-trained that they don't have to rely on physical restraint to the degree that in some instances they are currently doing," he said.

Mental health

However, he said there was an underlying problem about a lack of spaces for young offenders who had mental health problems - and should be in healthcare rather than custodial care.

Although children have behaved badly and some of them committed terrible crimes... they're still children

Prison Reform Trust  

He called for a three-part inter-departmental review - to look at children dealt with in the criminal courts and end up in custody; those dealt with in the family courts and end up in care; and those dealt with under the mental health act and end up in psychiatric care.

Children's Rights Alliance for England national co-ordinator Carolyne Willow, a member of Lord Carlile's advisory panel, said: "We are not talking here about children being hurt in the rough and tumble of restraint.

"Staff have permission to deliberately hurt children."

"As a former child protection social worker, I am stunned that this is allowed to happen."

The inquiry was told that one in five restraints of children resulted in injury.

'They're still children'

Director of the Prison Reform Trust Juliette Lyon says children are being failed by the prison system and they invariably end up re-offending.

Cases where children needed to be restrained should be the "rarest of rare events", she told BBC News.

"When you look at the number of times that physical restraints were used in the course of less than a year - thousands of times, on some quite young children - you realise it's being used as a matter of course when it's a disciplinary issue.

"Although children have behaved badly and some of them committed terrible crimes, although that is a minority, they're still children," she added.

Lord Carlile's report concludes that police should be ready to prosecute in cases where children appear to have been assaulted.

The inquiry was launched after the death of Gareth Myatt, 15, from Stoke-on-Trent, in April 2004.

He died after being restrained by three members of staff four days into his sentence at privately-run Rainsbrook secure training centre, near Rugby.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
our walking down a hallway, you turn left, you turn right. BRICK WALL!

GAH!!!!

Yeah, hes a survivor.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:12:00 PM »
Sickening.

The inquiry found some evidence that staff would "bait" children into situations that would lead to them being restrained for the adult's "own gratification".

Now where have I heard this before...?

Sounds like a page directly out of HLA's "Bait and Punish" policy manual.

On another note, IT IS GREAT TO SEE YOU, OL!
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 08:22:00 PM »
sounds like a page directly out of HLA's "Bait and Punish" policy manual.

BAIT AND PUNISH POLICY MANUAL?

You have a copy of this or know where I can find a scan?  :eek:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »
Well I think the most important thing about this is that the British Government leanred of a potential problem, investigated it and is now resolving the issue. This is how we solve problems.
I hardly think that this is a an issue on anywhere near the level as abuse in the United States where these abuses are happening with the tacit (and in some cases explicit) permission of the authorities.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 07:10:00 PM »
On 2006-04-08 08:24:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Well I think the most important thing about this is that the British Government leanred of a potential problem, investigated it and is now resolving the issue. This is how we solve problems.

I hardly think that this is a an issue on anywhere near the level as abuse in the United States where these abuses are happening with the tacit (and in some cases explicit) permission of the authorities.

"

Good to know there's still some competency SOMEWHERE within the world. Living here you can find yourself prone to assume everyones an idiot.

Terribly sorry about your PM, though.  :roll:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 08:38:00 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:48:42 PM by Guest »
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:23:00 AM »
Is there a reason you are attempting to stifle functional debate?
see the children with their boredom and their vacant stares. God help us all if we\'re to blame for their unanswered prayers,

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 11:55:00 AM »
On 2006-04-12 07:23:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"Is there a reason you are attempting to stifle functional debate?

"

Is there a reason you have stopped logging on a "Sammie" Samantha Monroe?

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:00 AM »
Because Samantha Monroe is not my name.
I'm not even female.
Q1)who is Samantha Monroe
Q2)why are you pissed at her?

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »
On 2006-04-08 16:35:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"How might the telly programme "Bad Lads" might be explained then?

Not the same level of abuse my arse.

Republican n. A liberty despising, money worshiping, control freak. Democrat n. A liberty despising, social engineering, control freak.
-- Anonymous

"

When I lived in England there was a corner shop and the kids hang about on bicycles.One day I noticed a new big pole with a CCTV Security camera pointed at the shop,then suddenly these children looked like a bunch of criminals.
You know,those cameras in England are being monitored in India,and if the Indian guy sees something he considers to be POTENTIAL Illegal activities,he rings up the police in England.
Coming to a neighborhood near YOU soon.
Komsomnida

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 12:03:00 PM »
On 2006-04-12 08:58:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"Because Samantha Monroe is not my name.

I'm not even female.

Q1)who is Samantha Monroe

Q2)why are you pissed at her?

"

Q1)You.
Q2)Read above.

Cheerio

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 12:16:00 PM »
On 2006-04-12 09:01:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-04-08 16:35:00, Three Springs Waygookin wrote:

"How might the telly programme "Bad Lads" might be explained then?

Not the same level of abuse my arse.

Republican n. A liberty despising, money worshiping, control freak. Democrat n. A liberty despising, social engineering, control freak.
-- Anonymous

"

When I lived in England there was a corner shop and the kids hang about on bicycles.One day I noticed a new big pole with a CCTV Security camera pointed at the shop,then suddenly these children looked like a bunch of criminals.

You know,those cameras in England are being monitored in India,and if the Indian guy sees something he considers to be POTENTIAL Illegal activities,he rings up the police in England.

Coming to a neighborhood near YOU soon.

Komsomnida"

Are you sure it wasn't a "Local Shop"?

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 12:18:00 PM »
okay, back on topic after our little troll attack.
I live in the United Kingdom and I agree there are increasing signs of antipathy towards young people. It's happening all over the western world at the moment (just look at France)
However, a few cameras and ASBOS are not even in the same ballpark as tranquility bay and city wide curfews.

The last point I would like to make is that the person posting about Cameras being watched in india was talking total rubbish. You see over here we have the Data protection act which prevents data regarding individuals or groups from being transmitted outside the EU without their explicit consent. Most CCTVs aren't even monitored in real time. The tapes are only reviewed after a nearby crime.

Billy Joel.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:29:00 PM »
On 2006-04-12 09:18:00, MightyAardvark wrote:

"okay, back on topic after our little troll attack.

I live in the United Kingdom and I agree there are increasing signs of antipathy towards young people. It's happening all over the western world at the moment (just look at France)

However, a few cameras and ASBOS are not even in the same ballpark as tranquility bay and city wide curfews.

The last point I would like to make is that the person posting about Cameras being watched in india was talking total rubbish. You see over here we have the Data protection act which prevents data regarding individuals or groups from being transmitted outside the EU without their explicit consent. Most CCTVs aren't even monitored in real time. The tapes are only reviewed after a nearby crime."

YEA,but the fucking cameras transformed our "Local Shop" in to a fucking gathering place for hoodlums!
These kids looked normal,but after the cameras were put in,ON LARGE FUCKING POLES,the kids suddenly looked like criminals.
I used to stop in the petrol station every day for a pie,then one day there were fucking signes everywhere WARNING WARNING CCTV IN ACTION!!!
Fuck that place I never shop there anymore!
My friend has a hotel on Lienster Gardens in Bayswater,then I went to visit him and over the door scrawled in BIG FUCKING ELECTRICAL TAPE is another CCTV WARNING WARNING!!!!
England people seem cool on TV,but when you really have to live THERE with them,they are the most repressed and uptight people you will ever meet.
Germans are more fucking warm and engaging than these fucking brits.
The Monkeys From The Island!
Just look at any German-English dictionary under "Englander" and you will read "monkeys from the island".
Thats why they make such good music,because they are shut in the most miserable environment,and have to imagine all this stuff just to keep from topping themselves from boredom.

Offline MightyAardvark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 12:31:00 PM »
deleted
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:16:34 PM by Guest »

Billy Joel.