Author Topic: hyde is great  (Read 34447 times)

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »
Ms. Lewis was shown a Potemkin village version of work crew. The real thing involved someone being forced to spend a month or so digging his own grave and filling it back in again repeatedly. Or if the ground was too frozen for that, carrying great big logs back and forth between two piles.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2006, 05:43:39 PM »
Quote from: ""tommyfromhyde1""
Ms. Lewis was shown a Potemkin village version of work crew. The real thing involved someone being forced to spend a month or so digging his own grave and filling it back in again repeatedly. Or if the ground was too frozen for that, carrying great big logs back and forth between two piles.

It was bigger than a grave Tom.  6x6x6    666: a coincidence? Perhaps Satan is at work!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2006, 07:05:59 PM »
I am somewhat new to this board and I have don't understand how Hyde School can be this bad yet still be in operation.  I have been investigating different boarding schools for my daughter.  Glad I found this site.  Can anyone guide me to a site that will give honest, realistic advice about which boarding schools are good vs bad?  

Thank you and good luck to all of you

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2006, 07:46:54 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""
I am somewhat new to this board and I have don't understand how Hyde School can be this bad yet still be in operation.  I have been investigating different boarding schools for my daughter.  Glad I found this site.  Can anyone guide me to a site that will give honest, realistic advice about which boarding schools are good vs bad?  

Thank you and good luck to all of you

You're very fortunate to have found this site before enrolling your child at Hyde.  We withdrew our child once we realized there were so many problems there.  Sure, some parents like the very controlling environment where they require the family to participate in group-therapy like sessions that are run by faculty.  Some parents like being told how to live their lives.  It took us about 3 months to figure out that there are lots of very troubled people at Hyde.  

Your best bet is to find an ethical, professional, competent educational consultant who really knows these schools.  The best educ consultants spend lots of time traveling to schools, interviewing staff, and digging beneath the surface.  Many educ consultants we've met refuse to refer families to Hyde; now our family understands why.  I'd steer clear of any educ consultant who recommends Hyde; that's a very bad sign.

There are many terrific schools out there.  I hope you find one that's a good fit for you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
staff turnover at Hyde
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2006, 09:51:55 PM »
I just spent some time looking through the entire Hyde staff directory.  I can't believe the amount of turnover they've had during the past couple of years.  The lack of staff continuity is unbelievable.  What really amazes me is how the school hires all these young faculty who quickly end up leading FLCs and other group discussions that are like therapy sessions.  How can this school justify putting these novices into those situations, especially when parents and students end up talking about the most amazingly sensitive family stuff imaginable?  Do you think the average parent realizes how "green" so many of the staff are and how short their stay is at Hyde?  Some people are Hyde lifers, but take a close look at the quality of their personal lives.  No wonder they stay at Hyde.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Re: staff turnover at Hyde
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2006, 09:24:30 AM »
I just spent some time looking through the entire Hyde staff directory.  I can't believe the amount of turnover they've had during the past couple of years.  The lack of staff continuity is unbelievable.  What really amazes me is how the school hires all these young faculty who quickly end up leading FLCs and other group discussions that are like therapy sessions.  How can this school justify putting these novices into those situations, especially when parents and students end up talking about the most amazingly sensitive family stuff imaginable?  Do you think the average parent realizes how "green" so many of the staff are and how short their stay is at Hyde?  Some people are Hyde lifers, but take a close look at the quality of their personal lives.  No wonder they stay at Hyde.

Rather than just speak in generalities, can you specifically share your own specific observations or experiences? Werre you a student, parent or teacher at Hyde?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2006, 03:54:29 PM »
back on topic, i was a student at hyde, i graduated in 2005,
and i can honestly sayt that if i hadn't gone to hyde tehy i would either be living on the streets or dead.  and that is not a lie.  if you saw me at the school you would never have thought that because i was very good there but that is the truth.

Nic

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2006, 10:16:28 AM »
What really amazes me is how the school hires all these young faculty who quickly end up leading FLCs and other group discussions that are like therapy sessions.  How can this school justify putting these novices into those situations, especially when parents and students end up talking about the most amazingly sensitive family stuff imaginable?

The key here being "like" therapy sessions. A conversation with a friend can be "like" a therapy session, but there are differences. Sometimes thoses conversations can get out of control and that's when they have to be directed elsewhere or outside professional help suggested. I've been through a couple of FLCs and while they sometimes went into very deep, personal issues, those discussions were entered into voluntarily and were appropriately guided by the facilitator. I can't say that I experienced "traumatic" situations as some have alluded to, but I'm not discounting the experiences of others.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2006, 12:52:43 PM »
What really amazes me is how the school hires all these young faculty who quickly end up leading FLCs and other group discussions that are like therapy sessions.  How can this school justify putting these novices into those situations, especially when parents and students end up talking about the most amazingly sensitive family stuff imaginable?
The key here being "like" therapy sessions. A conversation with a friend can be "like" a therapy session, but there are differences. Sometimes thoses conversations can get out of control and that's when they have to be directed elsewhere or outside professional help suggested. I've been through a couple of FLCs and while they sometimes went into very deep, personal issues, those discussions were entered into voluntarily and were appropriately guided by the facilitator. I can't say that I experienced "traumatic" situations as some have alluded to, but I'm not discounting the experiences of others.

I did not disclose my personal issues voluntarily.  I am not disputing what your experience was, but I did many more FLC's then the "couple" of ones you say you did. My experience in those FLC's, was that the parents and kids were very much pressured into opening up even when they didn't want to.  The other students and parents in the FLC's along with the facilitator sometimes would belittle a person in order to get them to spill their guts.  One time a woman stood up for the allowed time and didn't want to say anything.  She was obviously very troubled about something in her life.  The facilitator humiliated this woman in front of everyone until she ended up crying.  This was a great feat in the facilitators cap.  You could tell she was very proud of herself when she broke this woman down.  The woman still would not divulge the family secret she had inside of her.  The facilitator badgered and badgered her the entire weekend.  I understand she pulled her child out of Hyde shortly after.

This to me is not a sufficient way of helping a person deal with their issues.  What kind of training and education do these former students and parents have when they take on the role to facilitate a group session?  Do they know what to do in an emergency situation? To me this seems like very dangerous territory.

I am glad that you did not experience "traumatic" results.  You are  of the lucky ones.  I don't want to be "lucky" with my child.  I want to know he is getting the best care possible when I pay $35,000++ to get him a "character education."

I personally think these people at Hyde are the ones who need the group sessions with a good therapist because they seem to be nuts! They are stuck in a place for many years where they don't grow and yet they are trying to dispense therapy???  This seems crazy.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:10 AM »

I did not disclose my personal issues voluntarily.  I am not disputing what your experience was, but I did many more FLC's then the "couple" of ones you say you did. My experience in those FLC's, was that the parents and kids were very much pressured into opening up even when they didn't want to.  The other students and parents in the FLC's along with the facilitator sometimes would belittle a person in order to get them to spill their guts.  One time a woman stood up for the allowed time and didn't want to say anything.  She was obviously very troubled about something in her life.  The facilitator humiliated this woman in front of everyone until she ended up crying.  This was a great feat in the facilitators cap.  You could tell she was very proud of herself when she broke this woman down.  The woman still would not divulge the family secret she had inside of her.  The facilitator badgered and badgered her the entire weekend.  I understand she pulled her child out of Hyde shortly after.

This to me is not a sufficient way of helping a person deal with their issues.  What kind of training and education do these former students and parents have when they take on the role to facilitate a group session?  Do they know what to do in an emergency situation? To me this seems like very dangerous territory.

I am glad that you did not experience "traumatic" results.  You are  of the lucky ones.  I don't want to be "lucky" with my child.  I want to know he is getting the best care possible when I pay $35,000++ to get him a "character education."

I personally think these people at Hyde are the ones who need the group sessions with a good therapist because they seem to be nuts! They are stuck in a place for many years where they don't grow and yet they are trying to dispense therapy???  This seems crazy.

Tim Leary had a PHD.  Tune in. Turn on. Drop out.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2006, 07:30:17 PM »
If you drop out, you don't get your tuition refunded.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2006, 08:45:20 AM »

But you do get to come to Fornits and whine to everyone how bad Hyde is and how it's THEIR fault your life is such a mess. Certainly not your own or your parents for having you in the first place...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »

But you do get to come to Fornits and whine to everyone how bad Hyde is and how it's THEIR fault your life is such a mess. Certainly not your own or your parents for having you in the first place...

Why is it that you have a problem with people lodging complaints against Hyde?  I didn't see people saying their lives were a mess or blaming Hyde for anything other than not delivering what was promised and not protecting kids from creepy pedos.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2006, 04:27:32 PM »
Hyde is a great place

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
hyde is great
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2006, 07:45:15 PM »
Hyde is a great place

...for people who believe the ends can justify the means...

MR2X