Author Topic: ridikkulus  (Read 5699 times)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
ridikkulus
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2006, 05:06:00 PM »
On 2006-03-21 06:33:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2006-03-14 15:53:00, sorry... try another castle wrote:

"This THREAD is hilarious.

Thanks for the entertainment, guys.

I agree, though. Tolkein is a MUCH better fantasy writer. I still haven't read the trilogy, (I know, sacrilege. I've been meaning to get around to it), but I have read the Hobbit.

Harry Potter is more along the lines of a teenage soap opera with magic, wheras Tolkein wrote true epics.

If you are into pain, check out Ralph Bakshi's animated Lord of the Rings. Oh my god, it's awful. Every time I see something by Bakshi I think "Good lord, WHY is this man known for ANYTHING?" (His other movies include Fritz the Cat, [which caused R. Crumb to disown the character and kill him off] American Pop, and Wizards. Although I haven't seen Wizards.) He is the KING of the rotoscope. Rotoscoping can be fun, but it's hard to be taken seriously as an animator if that is ALL you do. Good lord, it really is terrible.

Nasty Hobbits and their nasty little pocketses.

"Learn from your mistakes so that one day you can repeat them precisely."

-Trevor Goodchild
"

That shitty fucking animated movie was 50% of the curriculum in my spanish class at BCA. "

Because, as we know, the lord of the rings has EVERYTHING to do with spanish.

"Gimme that ring, puta."

I'm amazed I did as well as I did on my SATs.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
ridikkulus
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »
Well shit, of course Rawlings isn't Tolkein! Never intended to be. Does everything have to be an epic classic just to be worth reading? And why wouldn't Dumbledore fake his own death? He's a fuckin' magician, after all. LOL

The right to do something does not mean that doing it is right.
--William Safire

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
ridikkulus
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2006, 08:43:00 PM »
OK...looks like the topic is movies now...and I'm gonna do my damndest not to read any HP parts of the thread...no...I don't read the books but I have to admit that the first 3 movie installments were *actually* pretty damn good...so don't spoil the later ones for me Castle :silly:  I wonder if they're gonna show 'Brokeback Mountain' some Sunday night at Carlbrook?

The best movie ever conned in by a student recommendation unbeknownst to staff members...'The Brother From Another Planet'

That tape spent even less time in the VCR   :rofl:

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
ridikkulus
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2006, 09:47:00 PM »
I think the absolute worst movie I saw there was "The Dirt Bike Kid". Oh man, it wasn't even bad in a good way, like Showgirls is. It was just baaaaaad.

I also remember this movie "Iron Eagle", which was a total piece of crap, but during in the movie they play Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it", and a lot of the students had a shit fit and started, in RMA lingo, "fiending out", which I thought was hilarious 'cause I found Twisted Sister to be a totally crappy poser band. Anyway, they stopped the movie and yelled at us, and said they weren't going to start playing it until everyone calmed down, which they eventually did. So we actually did get to see the whole movie, which was a crying shame.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ridikkulus
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 03:09:00 AM »
I remember them showing the entire Brother from another planet movie.  I don't think they stopped it.  At least I don't remember them stopping it.  I just remember it being a dumb movie, but with endless drug references.  But the fact you remember it means we were there at the same time.

At least they gave us two movies to choose from.  Though neither were likely to be good.  

I remember when they showed Starman, and the Voyager satelite started cranking out "I can't get no, satisfaction..."  And naturally, a bunch of look goods had to ruin it for the rest of us.

Only rarely did they allow staff to choose movies who might actually pick somethign worth watching.  Most times it was Tim Brace or some other anal staff member who would choose the most boring flick possible.  

I can only imagine what they would be showing nowadays.  Movies in the 80's were just plain garbage to begin with.  But today the selection would be hard to narrow down into movies that were acceptable.  Graphic sex, violence and drugs are in every film now.  And the soundtracks are half the experience.  But I am sure Forrest Gump would have made it, because those 60's songs would have given the staff hard-ons.  Strange how music taken directly from the 60's drug culture was acceptible music, but stuff coming out in the 80s when we were there was not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ridikkulus
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2006, 09:46:00 AM »
Get to the chopper!