Author Topic: It's been 20 years! Why are people still angry?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It's been 20 years! Why are people still angry?
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:14:00 PM »
I just today found this site.  Wow, so many of you are still so angry.  I attended RMA from 1985- 1987 and I was by no means a model RMA student.  I'm already positive that some of you are trying to figure out if you know me and although i absolutely intend on signing this at the end - for now i will give you one clue.  I am the only female to show up at RMA with a foot tall hot pink mohawk.  Figured me out, yet?  Anyway, i've been reading this website for the past couple of hours and it shocks me as to how angry some of the "old timers" still are.  Although RMA is something that i will never forget, it was only 27 months out of my life.  I hear people complaining on here as though Caroline put you on a fulltime yesterday!  Yeah, so some of the stuff they did there was screwed up and stuff they no longer do to kids today, but come on!  How can something that happened 20 years ago still make you so angry!  Why are so many nasty things being said about people on here.  I mean really - suck it up! and get over it already.  ~Lauren (formally Laurie)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »
Hey...what is it to you?  So you moved on...does that mean that everybody should move on in the same carbon copy way?  Yes...I have read some angry stuff on the site yet I have also read just as much where people are trying to discuss things that affected them and share that their experience there was very troubling only to be told to "Suck it up!"

Why do you feel the need to jump in here and blanketly chastise everybody here.  Do you know everybodies story at RMA?  This isn't one of those websites where "if you don't have something nice to say...keep your mouth shut" so you will see a lot of noise...there are some very valid points made by people however.

We don't agree with the basic premise of the programs here, which is the standard one size fits all therapy.  We feel that the workshops and raps are counterproductive to a students well being and so called "emotional growth".  You may feel like RMA was a good place for you, but not everybody entered under the same circumstances nor for the same reasons as you did.

So...basically...please try to accept that some of us are working things out the way we feel helps us best.  You state that it was 20 years ago...but from what I know about therapy...some issues can be discussed and dealt with for a lifetime...some people are able to easily move on from traumatic experiences...some can't.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 11:36:00 PM »
Whatever, I wish I had a dollar for every person who comes on here and makes a blanket statement like "get over it, because I did". I'd go out and buy myself a nice little sack of northern lights.

Listen up, Lauren. Everyone's mind marches to the beat of a different drum. We all tick differently. Sure, 27 months at CEDU sucked for you, and I'm sure a few years later it meant nothing. The experience just didn't nestle it's way into your mind like it did to the people who post around here.

Now do I agree that some of the "old-timers" have a little too much anger towards CEDU after so much time? Well, maybe a little, but hey, if they're still pissed, they're still pissed!!

But I think that most of what they're doing is just making sense of it. Most of them didn't discover this site until recently, and until then, how could they make sense of the experience? This IS their way of getting over it. So lay off.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 11:38:00 PM »
I'm going to assume that your experience there has been somewhat recent and in no way do i mean to chastise, however you are making my point for me.  If it is RMA that has turned you this angry -Get the help you need and move on.  RMA and what they did (or didn't do) doesn't deserve this much of your energy.  When I say "Suck it up and move on" what i mean is say "Fuck you" to RMA (or whatever is getting you down) and go live your life your way!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 11:42:00 PM »
On 2006-03-07 20:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm going to assume that your experience there has been somewhat recent and in no way do i mean to chastise, however you are making my point for me.  If it is RMA that has turned you this angry -Get the help you need and move on.  RMA and what they did (or didn't do) doesn't deserve this much of your energy.  When I say "Suck it up and move on" what i mean is say "Fuck you" to RMA (or whatever is getting you down) and go live your life your way!"

That would be nice, but some aren't able to let it go as easily as you seem to be.  Some people were majorly fucked up there.  You're over it, great.  Others aren't.

Then there's the more important issue of this kind of shit still going on today.  That's why most of us are here.  Why are you here?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 11:57:00 PM »
Laurie,
Here is another scenario.  Some of us stifled it for a long time and are just dealing with it more recently.  When I found this site, I was in graduate school studying areas that drew my attention back to CEDU.

I had NO ONE to talk about it when I left CEDU. So it was dead weight, but it was weight.  This is no longer the case.  

When I split CEDU, I did not do it because I was rebellious. Quite the contrary, running away was the type of thing I would never do.  (Too scary!) But after a propheet, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the only way to survive would be to become a bully and a liar. This was not something I wanted to do. I, inherently, had ZERO respect for staff members who had NO therapetic boundaries and knew the entire form of interrelating was based on verbal and psychological abuse. It wasn't tough love or "reality" or natural consequences, but abuse. It was also hard to respect people who lied to my parents about dirt in the interests of keeping me there.

I don't credit CEDU for the successes in my life or issues that have challenged me per se, but I have a MAJOR problem with academic fraud, therapeutic abuse, verbal abuse, isolation, cultic tactics, and experimental psychological mind fucking on minors.  I also have a major problem with parents being lied to and manipulated consistently. Sorry, if my two kids dealt with any of that bullshit, I would want heads to roll.

My parents truly thought they were sending me to a school that promoted emotional growth.  THey were gypped.  

I can't tell you how many people, even people who look good on paper, experienced serious ramifications from this insidious form of abuse. And I love it when pro-CEDU students talk about all the "tools" they learned, only now they are addicted to drugs and can't stay in school, and can't maintain relationships etc... (Who wants to be with someone who thinks communicating is browbeating while screaming profanities and trying to exploit every area they can.)

Yes, years later, I still have a problem with this place and any place like it, and I would never advise a parent of any of my students to ship them to a CEDU type place, or worse.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 01:10:00 AM »
Laurie! Holy shit woman, how the fuck are you?

To answer your question, not all of us are angry. And another person brought up a good point, others who are dealing with this now after so long may have simply repressed their experience so that they are now just getting around to processing it emotionally.

Speaking for myself. The few years after RMA were tough. But I did therapy and such, and whatever healing that needed to be done was done. I am lucky in that I really don't feel I was one of the ones who was "permanently scarred", and if I really suffered any sort of PTSD symptoms, (which was possible, although I'm not a doctor) it happened and then stopped a long long time ago.

So why am I on this site? Well, I'm not entirely sure why I feel the need to discuss it with people. I know that I don't really feel any resentment or pain. Whatever I had of that dissolved years ago. And for a long time, I never thought about RMA at all. But then, quite accidentally, I found out about the closings. And the lawsuits. And some of the weirder things that happened in the 90s, and it disturbed me. I don't know why, exactly. I told myself "why should I give a fuck about this anymore?" But I did. Apparently, I guess I have more to talk about regarding this issue. But there isn't any pain behind what I talk about now, so I honestly can't say why I still feel the need to process or discuss this with people, or why it came about all of the sudden. It just did.

What I do feel strongly about is that CEDU falls under the umbrella of the behavior-mod school industry. The teen help programs like CEDU, which originated from Synanon (CEDU was the first) employ coercive and repressive techniques that really don't seem to help teens at all. (and there really hasn't been any proof to prove otherwise.) Granted, it is certainly no Straight or WWASPS, (thank fucking god for that) but that doesn't erase the fact that some people came out of that environment traumatized. It also doesn't erase the fact that the basic ideology and practices that CEDU employed (Syanon, LGAT, Lifespring) is based in cult-philosophy, or simply came straight out of cults. That, I think is dangerous and damaging. Fortunately, the schools are closed, (for now.) Also, this is not just a CEDU problem, it is a systemic problem. Fortunately for those of us who went to CEDU, it was MUCH cushier than some of the other behavior mod schools and boot-camps out there.

One thing I want to point out. Just because you got over it, doesn't mean that everyone else processes their experience the same way, or will deal with CEDU the same way. That's just how it is.

I remember you as an incredibly resilient person. I can see you bouncing  back from your CEDU experience relatively quickly, although I am assuming a lot here. I do remember that you seemed pretty much able to retain your own sense of self while you were there, and had a pretty strong sense of your own identity that was independent of CEDU teachings, or at least it appeared that way from my vantage point. (Which I'm sure is what came off as "not being a model RMA student".) Anyway, like I said, I'm assuming a lot. This is just how I remember you. I do remember that I admired you a lot for it. However, not all of us were so lucky. As for me, I bought into it and "broke" within a week of getting there. I gave up all that I had previously believed in and towed the CEDU line. As a result, it took some time to piece things together after I graduated. The important thing was that I did. Eventually, we all do.

We all came into our CEDU experience with different baggage and different histories. So of course, we will come out of it dealing with it in different ways and in different time frames.

And of course, there are always going to be the people on fornits who like to do the flame wars and the "fuck you, you pro-CEDU cult-head faggot" stuff. I'm not really talking about those guys.

Anyway, it's awesome to hear from you. Hope you are doing well.

[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2006-03-07 22:42 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 01:39:00 AM »
Another castle - you seem to remember me well.  and you're right i am resilant and i am a survivor and No! i still don't take any shit, but who are you, Castle?  I'd love to know.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 01:47:00 AM »
Not telling. Bwahahaha. You'll have to get a username and PM (private message) me to find out. And then promise not to te-eelll promise not to te-elll.

Nothing personal, I just don't like broadcasting my identity to the general public, that's all. But feel free to PM me. It'd be cool to catch up.

[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2006-03-07 22:57 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 09:34:00 AM »
SUCK IT UP!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »
On 2006-03-07 20:38:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I'm going to assume that your experience there has been somewhat recent and in no way do i mean to chastise, however you are making my point for me.  If it is RMA that has turned you this angry -Get the help you need and move on.  RMA and what they did (or didn't do) doesn't deserve this much of your energy.  When I say "Suck it up and move on" what i mean is say "Fuck you" to RMA (or whatever is getting you down) and go live your life your way!"

I didn't make any point for you, because I'm not angry at all. I was pissed for about a year when I got out, mainly because CEDU turned me into this soft little mess. I had a confusing year, over-analyzing and ultimately ruining all my friendships, and I went through a stage where I was just angry and depressed about my life in general.

Then I went to college, made a ton of good friends, and have been partying my ass off and pulling some damn good grades ever since. Angry? I think not.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:53:00 AM »
chu little bitches need to get off the rag and quit fuckin' around and do some blow.

Offline TheSummitGives

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »
Move on?? You cannot simply move on from this beautiful experience. I want you to sit down and re-live it until you allow its beauty to open your eyes!! It makes me sad that you all associate such negativity with something that was designed only to help you!

My advice is to have your very own Summit experience at home! Invite your friends over and they can all share in the wonderful experience! Nothing is stopping you from learning just who you are through your own version of the red and green game. Please, my children, my beautiful butterflies, don't allow your anger to consume what you experienced! If you let it, the Summit will touch your life in ways you could never imagine!!!

never

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 03:57:00 PM »
i dont know what cedu you went to but dont go telling us it is a beutiful thing. It destroyed many lifes. over and over agian. Thats why they got shut down the brown schools and cedu for rape, death, emotinal abuse, shunning, and when kids went into ptsd mode they would yell at them taunt them about there disorders. If you dont beilive it just read the news.

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
Never,

SummitGives is kidding.  His character is pure satire, don't take hime seriously.  It's just a joke.