Author Topic: Book club: Malcolm Gladwell,  (Read 1693 times)

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
Book club: Malcolm Gladwell,
« on: February 24, 2006, 12:39:00 PM »
There will be a book club discussion of Malcolm Gladwells' book: "Blink the Power of Thinking Without Thinking" on C-Span 2 Book T.V. on Sat, Feb. 25th at 3pm.  It will air again on Sun, Feb 26th at 3pm.  I reccomend that anyone interested in Malcolm Gladwell check it out. [ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-25 09:41 ][ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-25 09:44 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 09:16:00 AM »
I've seen earlier BookTV segments with this author, he is very interesting and a good speaker. His hair is great and the way he speaks really kept me captivated. BLINK!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »
Yeah, But understand that this will not be him speakin'.  It will be a round table discussion of his book by erudite folks who have read it.  I've seen these book club discussions before and even though it's not the author tellin' you directly about his book it should still be real interesting and insightful.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »
Yeah I've seen plenty of BookTV bookclub meetings to know the difference. Bunch of old white folks sitting around explaining why the author doesn't know what he's talking about. FUN!  :lol:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Yeah, but the author's speech, what little of it they showed, was damned impressive! Thanks, Pirate. You just sold at least one copy of Blink.

I'm inspired... working...

To err is human; to forgive is simply not our policy.

-- MIT Assasination Club slogan

`80 - `82
Why I Live at the PO

[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-25 12:24 ]
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »
First, though, let me go out on a limb and post this before I read it and, maybe, chicken out...

Google Usenet, alt.law-enforcement antigen diallo

The time appears to me to have come when it is the duty of all to make their dissent from religion known.
--John Stuart Mill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »
Well...I hadn't seen this one before...Maybe the discussion wasn't so great.  I could only turn it on for a minute today 'cause I had company.  Looked like some flakey houswives.  Oh well, sometimes ya win, sometimes ya lose.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
Just got my copy, haven't had time to get past the intro yet. Good damned author so far, though. Cept for one li'll thing. I'm not quite sure he's not asking for stone soup. He says he wants to encourage people to use their gut instincts, first impressions and that will make this a better world. But, uh, we do, don't we? I mean, some individuals and some cultures tend to be better at it than others, but this is not a new trick at all, and he even says as much.

Guess I should shut up and read some more, hope to have time to tonight.

668: The Neighbor of the Beast
--Anonymous Postman