Author Topic: Re: A short description of the conference  (Read 5405 times)

Offline StraightInccom

• View Profile
Re: A short description of the conference
« on: July 01, 2001, 05:06:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

The conference in D.C. was informative, fascinating, sad, fun, funny, and aggravating.  A total success!!!

It exibited every sign of growing pains associated with a first run event and I am very proud to have been there.  Fred Collins couldn't make it but sent a very well made video that was shown on a large projection screen.  Maxie C. Maultsby was ill and unable to attend but is OK and doing well.  Arnold Trebach acted as fascilitator/director/organizational supervisor and kept everyone on schedule, insuring that we focus on the pertinent topics.  Phil Elberg's speech reminded us survivors to be free of guilt;  "Straight (and Straight-like programs) was cult, the kids were the victims and the parents were the unsuspecting cult members".  All the speeches and speakers were great.  I went there with an open mind, and at least, that's my interpretation.

There were a variety participants all there for their own particular reasons.  We all agreed upon one issue.  Child abuse by "Drug Treatment" facilities must be stopped.  The conference was of course, titled:  "Saving our Children from Drug Treatment Abuse".  A very nice gentleman named Jim Turney was there documenting the entire event.  His company:  LibertyTapes.com can provide audio or video tapes of the various events.  His number is: 703-550-7474.  At least one freelance writer was there uncertain to whom she would sell her story.  A writer from High Times, and (I think) someone writing for NORML was present.  There were supporters of SAFE, Program Survivors, Lawyers, Parents, Siblings, and others.  There were around 50 or 60 people total.  We were all reasonably cordial given that some of us had entirely opposing viewpoints.

Personally, I wish the New York Times had been there.  I ordered a few tapes from Jim so I can review the material later.  Needless to say, I went through a lot of emotion, especially when listening to the survivors' accounts.  I remembered that place in vivid detail, memories of others came back.  The worst part was hearing of someone kept in a similiar program for something like 13 years.  It was really riveting to hear Fred tell of the night he threw the kitchen table through a window as a last resort.  I ate in that kitchen with his younger brother George for a month or so after that with plywood covering the opening.  I really miss him too, I was reminded of that.  Fred has gained a very healthy amount of weight and I couldn't believe how much he looked like George.

I would tell more, but I'm tired as I just drove home today.  I figured that many would be curious so I wanted to get some info out to you as soon as I could.

I also received a call from an associate here at home telling me of how one of his customers just paid someone to come kidnap her 13 year old daughter for "intake" somewhere.  It's still going on folks, that's why we were there.  We must never forget that.

Reid Martin [email protected]

StraightInc.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline jetandra30

• View Profile
A short description of the conference
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2001, 05:04:39 AM »
John Wenning

Offline ramprato

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2001, 06:03:52 AM »
It was good seeing all of you guys too. Everybody seems to be coming along well despite Straight. I was glad about that.

Offline michaels039

• View Profile
conference
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2001, 02:13:54 PM »
Hey today is my first day back at work.  Reid, Ken, Ginger, Leigh and all others it was so good to meet w/y'all.  The conference brought back lots of emotions and memories.  Unfortunately, neither was very pleasant.   Hopefully we can continue our efforts.  Maybe we can meet in Tallahassee in Feb 2002 as the state will be conducting a Drug Policy Summitt.  Need an invitation to attend, but I think I will get one.  Will keep folks advised.   Peace to all

Mike Sherman

Offline atlantastraight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2001, 02:07:02 AM »
Ken, saw a previous post that had the name Atlanta on it? Were you in Atlanta or know anyone who was???

2221 Austell Hell ...

Brian  90-92

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
Small World
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2001, 03:06:19 PM »
I was at a public pool today with some friends, and we were talking to this guy in his early 20's about various shit. Well he started talking about his necklace which he got from AA for his 2nd anniversary. Well this got me started on talking about abusive treatment programs and my friend Alex, and I asked him if I he had ever heard about straight or safe or these wildnerness things.

As it turns out he had been in SAFE for 18 months from 96-98 until he escaped and his parents agreed to fly him home. He described it as "a year and a half of hell", and talked about how they had tried to slam him against a wall and he stuck his foot out and broke through a wall, which they tried to have him arrested for. He talked about how he broke bones, and really fought the entire time he was there which he says was mostly spent in the quiet room. He said that when he was in there that they would come in and work him over, and that he was ready for them and fought with a lot of them. His only positive comment was that it allowed him to cope with any situation. I asked him if he was interested in filing an affadavit but he said that he did not really remember that much and that he would just rather forget it. I guess that is to be expected. He knew about KIDS and STRAIGHT and he said that what he had been told was that KIDS came before STRAIGHT. As I understand it is the other way around?

I continue to be amazed at how many people in my area have had contact with these abusive programs.

What he was able to tell me, definitely squelched my lingering doubt that maybe SAFE was not physically abusive as those 2 SAFE parents at the conference claimed.

Some good news, I think my friend Alex will be out in less than a month because it is a quasi-3 month program (about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks for each segment and him being in a hotel with his parents was supposedly transition between the 2nd and 3rd segments. I can understand how he said he was doing ok on the phone with his girlfriend, because I would be feeling pretty damn good after having my first hot shower in 2 months. I still don't understand what his parents think they are accomplishing, especially since he is missing the registration deadlines for community college and he is probably going to be in the same situation he was in before, not really doing anything for 6 months.

Oh well I guess they will realize someday that they were scammed out of 20 thousand bucks, and I sincerely doubt that Alex is going to have much of a relationship with his parents especially since he has not had much of one for as long as I have known him and I don't think having him kidnapped to West Virginia for 3 months is going to have a lasting positive effect on it.
Slavish discipline makes a slavish temper... If severity carry'd to the
highest pitch does prevail, and works a cure upon the present unruly
distemper, it often brings in the room of it a worse and more dangerous
disease, by breaking the mind; and then, in the place of a disorderly young
fellow, you have a low spirited moap'd creature, who, however with his
unnatural sobriety he may please silly people, who commend tame unactive
children, because they make no noise, nor give them any trouble; yet at
last, will probably prove as uncomfortable a thing to his friends, as he
will be all his life an useless thing to himself and others... Beating them,
and all other sorts of slavish and corporal punishments, are not the
discipline fit to be used in the education of those we would have wise,
good, and ingenuous men...

John Locke, 1692
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline KimberlyNJ

• View Profile
facekahn...
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2001, 03:06:19 PM »
facekahn, that is great to hear that your friend could be getting out soon.  I hope he is well.

WOW!  That IS a shock to hear about that guy from safe...I'm not GLAD to hear it, just glad that he is out & doing well.  Did you tell him about the websites?  the conference?  I hope we will be seeing him soon.....