Author Topic: I Speak For This Child : True Stories of a Child Advocate  (Read 1605 times)

Offline The Liger

• View Profile
I Speak For This Child : True Stories of a Child Advocate
« on: February 12, 2006, 09:44:00 PM »
I Speak For This Child : True Stories of a Child Advocate, by Gay Courter

I started reading this book because I am about to volunteer as a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) for children in child protection cases.  Interestingly, in the first story this lady tells, the girl for whom she is GAL is a 16-year-old girl who is in a Fundamental Christian girls home in Florida.  She was placed there by the court because her parents refused to take custody of her from juvenile prison.  All the case file says when this lady gets the case is that the girl stuck her baby sister in the microwave.  But the GAL notices that she only has a 10-year-old sister.  Anyway, what it boils down to is her parents wanted to teach her a lesson for other things she was doing.  The girl has a sad story: abuse by her biological father, the death of her boyfriend.  The people who run the girls home are hostile to the GAL, and refuse to let her speak with the girl in confidence.  I have only read 30 pages so far, but am really excited to see what will happen.  

It's pretty much my favorite animal. It's like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.[ This Message was edited by: Eudora on 2006-02-13 16:45 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
t\'s pretty much my favorite animal. It\'s like a lion and a tiger mixed...bred for its skills in magic.