Author Topic: Stuff you've been listening to  (Read 715366 times)

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
South African Psychedelia '68-'73
« Reply #2850 on: August 14, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
McCully Workshop Inc.--"Circus"

Blo--"Time To Face The Sun"

Abstract Truth--"Moving Away", "Original Man"

Freedom's Children--"1999", "Kafkaesque"

The Third Eye--"Valley of Sadness"

Mack Sigis Porter--"The Seventh House"

Otis Waygood--"The Higher I Go"

(all on vinyl)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
RTP2003 fought in defense of the Old Republic

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Re: Stuff you've been listening to
« Reply #2851 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
Quote from: "starry-eyed pirate"
I was scrappin for metal down in the city when I found a badly beaten P. Montana cd layin on the ground in some vacant lot.  I took it home and polished it up with my skip doc and it played, even with a small crack.  I find cds and dvds all the time layin in gutters or wherever.  Most of the time if I put 'em under the skip doc they play just fine.  I had no idea who P. Montana was but now I know he's A hip hop artitst.  So if you find somethin like that layin around somewhere you might consider cleanin it up and adding it to your collection.  It's a great way to discover new music.
One man's trash...

I've heard about this skip doc thing you're talking about (or something just like it). Years ago, my computer certification instructor recommended getting this thing that buffs scratches off of optical media so it can be read again...a good thing to have.

I found a bunch of Grateful Dead bootleg cassettes on my front lawn once; some great stuff in that batch.

Offline starry-eyed pirate

• View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 14, 2008, 02:14:07 PM »
Yeah, the skip doctor has worked great for me.  I know I'm kinda down on all the new technology, but the skip doctor has really changed how I feel about cds.  You know I generally think cds aren't very durable and they definately don't sound as rich as the vinyl, but the skip doc gives an ol' trashed out cd new life.  I got mine in a local music store for about 20 bucks.  It just broke the other day though.  So it lasted about 4 years.  I'll have to replace it.

Frod, do you see how Roky Erikson has a similar singin style to Kevin Cronin ??  Just wonderin what you thought of that comment.

Also wonderin if you can help me figure out how to get my ol' avatar back.  I gotta get runnin now but I'll check back here later.
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

• View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 14, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »
Oh man!!!  Weird how as soon as I mention my avatar some unknown avatar jumps up next to my post.  That is not my avatar!!!  I suspect some shenanigans have been in the works.  Please help. :-  :ftard:
If you would have justice in this world, then begin to see that a human being is not a means to some end.  People are not commodities.  When human beings are just to one another government becomes obsolete and real freedom is born; SPIRITUAL ANARCHY.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 14, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
Frod, do you see how Roky Erikson has a similar singin style to Kevin Cronin ??  Just wonderin what you thought of that comment.
Sort of; you mean that their voices are in a similar range? Or is it something more, like something with his style or accent? Roky Erickson's from someplace in TX...he's getting up there in years now.. he was the 13th Floor Elevators' front man (back in the late 60's). RTP knows some good links that tell more about him...

Not sure wtf is screwing around w/ your avatar...

• View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 14, 2008, 04:15:08 PM »
Well you know I'm forever comparin artists and tracing influences and that sort of thing.  When I played the Roky cd you gave me I kept sayin to my friend(You remember the belligerant drunk that was at my house when you came to visit(LOL!!)): "who does this singer remind me of?" Finally my friend said REO Speedwagon...Ridin the Storm Out...and yeah that's what I wAs thinkin too.  It seems to me that they are similar in vocal range and style.  Just an observation.

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 14, 2008, 06:16:22 PM »
Blue Oyster Cult--Fire Of Unknown Origin

Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green-era)--"Green Manalishi (with the Two-Pronged Crown)", "Oh Well", "Black Magic Woman", "Albatross", "World Keeps Turning", "Rattlesnake Shake"

Jane's Addiction--"1%", "Pigs In Zen", "Whores", "I Would For You"

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 15, 2008, 10:57:30 AM »
my friend(You remember the belligerant drunk that was at my house when you came to visit(LOL!!)
Yup, how could anyone forget a guy like Chad? LOL!!! That guy definitely knew how to 'stoke up' any conversation! LMAO!!

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
Mexican Radio
« Reply #2858 on: August 15, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
Led Zeppelin--"Bron-Yr-Aur Stopmp", "Gallows Pole", "Tangerine", "Friends"

The Kinks--"Waterloo Sunset", "Celluloid Heroes", "David Watts", "I'm Not Like Everybody Else"

Dug Dug's--"Lost In My Mind"

Kaleidoscope--"Hang Out"

La Fachada De Piedra--"Roaming"

La Revolucion De Emiliano Zapata--"En Medio De La Lluvia"

The Spiders--"It's You"

Three Souls In My Mind--"Lenon Blues"

Toncho Pilatos--"Tommy Lyz"

Nahuatl--"Volvere"

Grupo Ciruela--"Regreso Al Origen"

Rennaisance (NOT the English art-rock band)---"I'm Dying"

Los Ovnis--"Cuandra Era Nia"

The Survival--"The World Is A Bomb"

All the above on vinyl, the stuff listed after The Kinks is from a compilation album of Mexican psychedelia from the late 60s-early 70s.  It's part of a series called "Peace, Love, and Poetry" put out by some Kraut psychedelic rock fans.  There are several volumes of these compilations, including Turkish, African, American, and other psychedelic garage bands from all over the world.  They are all pretty cool, although like most compilation albums, I can't say I like every track. Can't wait to hear the Japanese one......

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #2859 on: August 15, 2008, 11:40:04 AM »
Ja, Der Kraut Rock iss der shitzen.  Make wiss der Neu!  

Mark Lanegan - Methamphetamine Blues
RFTT - The Day the Earth Met the Rocket From the Tombs
Eloy - Eloy Iss der Kraut Rock.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline RTP2003

• View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 15, 2008, 01:19:55 PM »
Quote from: "ZenAgent"
Ja, Der Kraut Rock iss der shitzen.  Make wiss der Neu!  

The comps I spoke of earlier aren't necessarily Kraut Rock, per se, they are put out by a bunch of Krauts.

I do, however, enjoy many Krautrock bands, Neu (whom you mentioned), Amon Duul II (their record Yeti is awesome....) Can (of course, though Holger Czukay is Czech, and their singers were Japanese or American), and a couple of other goose-stepping, London-bombing, VW-driving, schnitzel-eating, beer-swilling bands that I can't remember the names of right now, 'cause I'm so high on wetback psychedelia right now......

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:58 PM »
The Residents - Swastikas on Parade (vinyl)

Radiohead - In Rainbows

The Dead Boys - Ain't It Fun

Offline 3xsaSeedling

• View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 17, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »
Iron Butterfly~vinyl      
You Keep Me Hangin' On
In-A-Gadda-Davida
Of all the things I\'ve ever lost, I miss my mind the most.
Wait...I found \'IT\'!!    
oh joy

"Fresh baked daily!"

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 17, 2008, 09:27:52 AM »
Flipper - Ever, Living for the Depression (vinyl)

Sonic Youth - Dirty

• View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 18, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »
Quote from: "Froderik"
my friend(You remember the belligerant drunk that was at my house when you came to visit(LOL!!)
Yup, how could anyone forget a guy like Chad? LOL!!! That guy definitely knew how to 'stoke up' any conversation! LMAO!!

Yeah...LOL!!...lol...

I was surprised late last night, while dining out at a Chili's restaraunt to hear Little Feat's  Rock-n-Roll Doctor comin out of the over-head speaker.  Very nice.  Little Feat is under-rated and you never hear them on the radio. Do they play Little Feat much on the satellite channels ??