Author Topic: Forum moderation and wild conspiracies.  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Forum moderation and wild conspiracies.
« on: January 14, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
Ok, ya'll. I've been giving a lot of thought to recent angst and turmoil over moderating this forum. Deb's up for it, she's a competent adult, no problem. I should have probably announced it and Deb should have said something before hitting the delete key. Least ways, that's how I view it.

So, if she's still up for it, I'll set that back the way it was and ya'll know, henceforth, that Deb is the moderator. If not, then Nobody will continue to moderate this forum.

Meanwhile, I had the most comical idea today and thought I'd throw it out there for your opinions.

ShortBus = JamesFrey
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10808306/

And is friends, by whatever means, w/ Paris Hilton. Further, I'll posit that, while ShortBus is, no doubt, an unmitigated prick, he really is trying to use his powers for good and not evil (in a Discordian sort of way)

I'm perklempt, discuss...

Sorry, not perklempt, actually ROFLMAO!!!  :rofl:

A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows.
http://smack.accesscard.org/index/misc/atheist/' target='_new'>Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks Ginger :wink:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »
Laugh at the devil, baby! It's the only thing he can't stand.

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical.
http://lfb.com/?stocknumber=FF7485&code=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
You rock the galaxy man!! :wave:

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »

Meanwhile, I had the most comical idea today and thought I'd throw it out there for your opinions.

ShortBus = JamesFrey

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/10808306/

And is friends, by whatever means, w/ Paris Hilton. Further, I'll posit that, while ShortBus is, no doubt, an unmitigated prick, he really is trying to use his powers for good and not evil (in a Discordian sort of way)

I'm perklempt, discuss...

I actually heard this guy on Oprah (I wasn't watching it - someone had it on the TV) and I thought it was great that he was speaking out about overcoming addiction without Stepcraft.

At one point, I guess pictures were being shown, and Oprah commented that she saw a beer bottle in the photo, and Frey said it was a buddy - that he could actually live a normal existence and be around people drinking, and choose not to.  I thought "FINALLY - someone worth listening to about "recovery"

But then again - I only caught bits and pieces of this.  Dollars and cents wise - I can see why he embellished the story if he was told it wouldn't sell otherwise.  It's kind of a shitty thing to do, and it could wind him up in some legal trouble.

Hell, many times I thought about writing a book.  I'd have to sell it as fiction - because no one would believe some of this shit! :grin:

I believe that relgion is the belief in future life and in God. I don't believe in either. I don't believe in God as I don't believe in Mother Goose.
--Clarence Darrow, American lawyer

uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 10:53:00 AM »
Funny you mention that because his book is sold as fiction.  According to the MSNBC report he pitched it to 17 publishers who declined to print it and finally he got a taker who would publish as fiction.

Wanna hear the worst part?  After seeing him on Oprah, my wife bought the book.  What a scam!
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 11:20:00 AM »
Have anyone read it?
Did he name which "rehab(s)" he attended, or give enough info to make an educated guess?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »
***Ok, ya'll. I've been giving a lot of thought to recent angst and turmoil over moderating this forum. Deb's up for it, she's a competent adult, no problem.***

:smile:  Thanks

***I should have probably announced it and Deb should have said something before hitting the delete key. Least ways, that's how I view it.***

Agreed, just trying to divert some troll spam until the guidelines for the forum were established. Apologies for any confusion. Rest assured, no one missed anything of significance.

***So, if she's still up for it, I'll set that back the way it was and ya'll know, henceforth, that Deb is the moderator.***

I've had a busy weekend and will accept moderator status when I have composed a welcome page. Could be a few hours or a few days.

If anyone has feedback they'd like me to consider, post it here, complete with an explanation for your preferences.

I would like, over some period of time, to clear out informative threads that were bogged down with spam or useless dialogue.  I am not referring to open disagreement or the use of expletives. I'm not a puritan and actually quit tolerant of how people choose to express themselves. I'm referring to back and forth comments about what to do with one's body parts, as one example; that lend nothing to the discussion. I would ask those with user names? permission before doing so.

The forum serves many useful purposes. We have current/ex participants, staff, and pro/anti parents sharing their experiences. We have a few staff that have identified themselves and answered questions. We have anons presenting as staff, some genuine and some trolls. We have survivors of other programs, and pro/anti programs activists. And, the occasional obnoxious troll. Quiet a mix with the potential for useful dialogue.

This is, first and foremost a venue for survivors, their parents/guardians, friends, and supporters. I personally have low tolerance for program-like behavior being directed at surivors. They have had quite enough of that for several lifetimes.

This is not "Reals". Disagreement, even real world ?confrontation?, is fine. I?d prefer everyone to have a user name, as it eliminates the confusion of which anon said what. I will encourage it, but won?t require it, with one exception.

Representatives of HLA are welcome to post- with a user name.
If you forget to login, as a matter of courtesy, I?ll edit your post and put your user name(s) at the bottom of the message.
Anon messages that state or suggest they are a current HLA rep will be deleted. This has only led to confusion in the past.
While this may seem unfair, it actually works to HLAs benefit; as any anon troll can not pose as a representative.  

Group chaos theory/therapy can be useful as a means to an end, when all participants are willing. On an internet forum, it is frustrating at best, unless all particpants are in agreement, are known atleast by a user name, and there are no anon posters. Otherwise, in my opinion, it's just chaos, and often very boring, wastes people time, attention, and resource.

I'm certain I haven't contemplated every possible scenario, but that?s my thinking at the moment, which is subject to change. I?ll wait for feedback. I feel that some moderation and a few basic guidelines will make reading this forum easier, and cut down on chaos and confusion.

Deborah
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 04:29:00 PM »
It was FINE just the way it was, leave well enough alone, jeeeeeez.

Offline SHH Anon Classics

• View Profile
    • http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=13488&forum=41&start=34#165552
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »
The danger in moderating a forum like this one is the moderator will tend to consider posts they dont like to be "spam" and delete them. This is not a position that can be objective in my opinion, unless the moderator is brought in and has no opinion either way on the subject. We all know how Deborah feels about this issue, so I feel she cannot be objective. Not that there is anything wrong with that necesarilly, I just feel she will have a hard time being objective because of her opinions on this issue.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »
On 2006-01-15 13:36:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The danger in moderating a forum like this one is the moderator will tend to consider posts they dont like to be "spam" and delete them. This is not a position that can be objective in my opinion, unless the moderator is brought in and has no opinion either way on the subject. We all know how Deborah feels about this issue, so I feel she cannot be objective. Not that there is anything wrong with that necesarilly, I just feel she will have a hard time being objective because of her opinions on this issue."
You are 100% correct.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 04:54:00 PM »
Well, I'm willing to try it and find out. Greg moderates the Seed forum and it seems like a pretty balanced representation. I dunno. I sort of agree that it's very, very hard to be objective, even when you do have a pretty accurate idea of what the author is talking about. So often, you just don't. Take that anal sex thread that sprouted up in some unrelated discussion. All combatants were actually friends pranking each other and havin' a good ole time. It was not a brawl at all, but something more like homage to Howard Stern or something.

I'd tread very lightly w/ that delete key. But that's just me. We'll see how it goes, eh? If ya hate it, can't stand it, well... see my sig.

It continues to amaze me to talk to law students -- college
graduates all and smarter than the average bear -- who will
seriously tell me about how dangerous mj is and how it
destroys the lives of those who use it and who, in the
very next sentence, will tell me how they and their
friends -- now CPAs, engineers, med students -- used
pot regularly through high school and college.  And
they don't see the contradiction between these statements.

We're not just talking ignorance here -- we are talking
deep down, serious, religious indoctrination.

--Buford C. Terrell, Professor of Law, South Texas College of Law

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Oh, one other thing. Moderating a discussion is just a chore. It doesn't endow the moderator w/ any elevation of status or anything. It's just something that some folks think needs to be done. I rather disagree most of the time, but then I may well be wrong. Matt's still the nominal moderator of the Elan forum. He does pop in once in awhile, but doesn't seem to do a lot of editing, least not that I hear about anyway. I would have let someone else moderate that one (w. Matt's permission, of course) if I could have found someone I thought was up to it. I couldn't. So I made a seperate forum for Elanians who thought they were better than the rest. Predictably enough, it died of neglect.

Ok, that's a couple other things.

The most serious parody I have ever heard was this: In the beginning was nonsense, and the nonsense was with God, and the nonsense was God.
--Freidrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
Oh yeah, and one other thing. If people post anon, then they havn't given consent to bust them out on it. You might bait them, pursuede them to cop to it. But it would be a tactical error to bust them publicly w/o their consent. If you do that, they'll likely go away AND whine about how you've wronged them.

Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.
--Napoleon Bonaparte, French emperor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »
Ginger, where is that anal sex argument thread, It made me laugh so hard!! Can you find it??