Author Topic: Selling Out  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« on: January 09, 2006, 04:07:00 PM »
The phrase "selling out" does not mean making money is bad.  It means going against your belief system to make money.

in music:  When a hardcore band starts playing love ballads because the label said to, is selling out.
Reo Speedealer makes good money.  Jason Newstead of Metallica just produced their last CD.  Speedealer remains theirselfs and is gaining success doing so.

Politics:  Hurting your people, ignoring their interests and accepting payoffs.

Ginger, if Jim Morrison were alive he'd take away your weed. :flame:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »
Ginger, if Jim Morrison were alive he'd take away your weed.

:lol:  :lol:

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 13:07:00, Reagan Youth wrote:

"The phrase "selling out" does not mean making money is bad.  It means going against your belief system to make money.

in music:  When a hardcore band starts playing love ballads because the label said to, is selling out.

Reo Speedealer makes good money.  Jason Newstead of Metallica just produced their last CD.  Speedealer remains theirselfs and is gaining success doing so.
Politics:  Hurting your people, ignoring their interests and accepting payoffs.
Ginger, if Jim Morrison were alive he'd take away your weed. :flame:
"

RY I hear what you are saying and all, but I don't think Ginger is 'selling out". I myself don't like seeing the ads, but it's not my site.

As far as the ads coming up for teen torture places I don't think Ginger has much control over that unless she gets rid of Google. From the little I know about Google I believe the ads appeared here because the facilities are mentioned plus words that would make a match on the Google system.

Now if Ginger were to say we could only speak about XYZ to make advertisers happy that would be more along the lines of selling out.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline teachback

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »
Man, this whiny crap about the links is sure getting a lot of mileage isn't it?  :silly:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 06:01:00 PM »
Fuck right it's getting milage.
I have letters (bunch of em) to my parents from straight demanding payments with degrading commits such as "Aren't you happy with Timmy's progress"  "Do you care about your childs treatment" and so forth.  Who do you think pays for those ads.

How many of you got out of straight and asked for something and got the anwser, we can't afford it, straight took all our savings, and your college savings.
 I ended up with a music scholarship, but not everyone is a musician, athletic or candidate for scholarships. What about them?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 06:22:00 PM »
Jesus H Fucking christ, grow up.

Ginger signed up with google, not the teen help industry.

Google's artificial intelligence sees us talking about subjects and throws ads at us, depending on what we talk about, and then pays ginger a pittence for that right.  It has nothing to do with ginger 'selling out', but instead has everything to do with making a decision to allow google to throw ads at us.  You got a problem with the content?  Write google and complain about how they mine content. If Google was as sophisticated as they claim, they would never run those ads here, in enemy territory.

There are real costs associated with running a 'free' website, and certainly time donated is one of those costs.

Some of you whiners cannot even see the fucking light thru their  own issues.  You wanna throw up a website and devote 7 years to exposing straight and the teen help industry?  I thought not...

There is no free lunch.Either this website is paid for, as it has been for the last 7 years, by one person's sweat and dedication, or an alternative needs to be found.

If you want to get in another free lunch line, by all means do so.  But to whine about the food in this free lunch line while bellied up to the buffet table is childish and shows a general ignorance on how the web works., or in this case, doesn't quite work as it should.

In summary, this is a google issue, not a fornits issue. Stop throwing stones.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 06:27:00 PM »
Google's artificial intelligence sees us talking about subjects and throws ads at us, depending on what we talk about, and then pays ginger a pittence for that right. It has nothing to do with ginger 'selling out', but instead has everything to do with making a decision to allow google to throw ads at us.

How does a "pittance" cover the "real costs associated with running a 'free' website"?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:32:00 PM »
come out of the closet anon piece of shit.  to you the truth=whinning.  You don't have the balls to say that logged in, do ya pussy./

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 06:40:00 PM »
logged in now...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
I still haven't gotten an answer on how a pittance from Google covers forum costs. No one so far has bothered to point out this contradiction. The Warbis defenders tell us to quit whining because of monetary realities, and Ginger herself tells us, in not so many words, that the amount of money is negligible.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 15:40:00, GregFL wrote:

"logged in now...

"

that's more like it.
now lets debate.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 06:47:00 PM »
I don't think it in any way compensates her for her time, webspace, published articles, interview time, and other things she has done to bring this issue to light.

You are real good at throwing stones..what have you done..if anything?  And yes, all sorts of websites have google and then google throws ads based on the content.  I have seen atheist websites with christian ads...christian websites with "jesus never existed" websites advertised.

Again, this whining just demonstrated an ignorance on how web advertising works..

Don't like it?  Call Google, yahoo and the other internet players.  You are complaining about the wrong person and doing it in a childish reactionary way.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »
People have sent donations to ginger to help support her finances.
People have offered to send donations and she turned them down.
If she dicontinues the google ads, I'll donate money to help cover the costs.

can you debate without insults?

I can insult too you fucking faggot.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
I don't think it in any way compensates her for her time, webspace, published articles, interview time, and other things she has done to bring this issue to light.

Again, the word "pittance" is implied here. If the amount of money is so inadequate, then why not seek a less inflammatory way to generate funds and cover costs?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Selling Out
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 07:06:00 PM »
On 2006-01-09 15:47:00, GregFL wrote:

"I don't think it in any way compensates her for her time, webspace, published articles, interview time, and other things she has done to bring this issue to light.

You are real good at throwing stones..what have you done..if anything?  And yes, all sorts of websites have google and then google throws ads based on the content.  I have seen atheist websites with christian ads...christian websites with "jesus never existed" websites advertised.

Again, this whining just demonstrated an ignorance on how web advertising works..

Don't like it?  Call Google, yahoo and the other internet players.  You are complaining about the wrong person and doing it in a childish reactionary way.

"

Your a computer person, how bout you work toward changing your industry for the better.   :idea: