Author Topic: Is it possible?  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« on: January 02, 2006, 07:52:00 PM »
Is it possible to smoke herb drink responsibly and recover?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »
Of course silly!!  Why wouldn't it be?  One question, how do you mean 'recover',  from Straight?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
From addiction

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »
Well... you can't get addicted to bud so smoke up. If you were 'responsible' at drinking then what would you have to recover from? :???:

Didn't know they let you out of the penitentiary already, Riddler.

Offline Scarred

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 08:44:00 PM »
I think it depends on the substance and the person. I know that I couldn't handle cocaine or vodka. I would do cocaine for many moons with no sleep. Vodka & tequila made me turn into the devil in disquise. I've never done intraveinous drugs (thank God)...I'd probably be dead from OD as I have been told I have an "addictive personality" (whatever that is). Also, I'm old so a lot of the drugs younger folks are doing today I've never tasted.

Herb depends on your point of view, in my opinion. I personally think it is OK to smoke it as a happy hour alternative to alcohol(at home after all my work is done & I don't have to drive. However, physically & emotionally I feel better the next day when I do not partake in that alternative happy hour (more energy & brain power).

I know what I can & cannot handle. I was at a party last year and someone handed me a mirror with lines of cocaine & I just said no thank you...I hadn't done it in over a decade. Because I was drinking beer I was tempted. I was proud of myself the next day. I knew that if I did one line, I'd be looking for another (vicious cycle).

Recovery is a lifetime thing to me. I recover from all kinds of things other than just weed. I'm constantly struggling to recover MYSELF. So, I wont touch the weed for a little while. I don't drink vodka or tequila ever bcuz I know I turn into a very ugly person. I drink a couple of beers a year: literally!

I have no REAL friends other than my husband and a few fair weather friends. None of these people do any hard drugs. And we all feel the same about herb.

I think one KNOWS when there is a PROBLEM. If the substance has opiates that cause physical withdrawl, I would say there is a need to get a grip or get some help.  

I'd like to add that cigarettes ARE A HUGE PROBLEM for me. I would actually sign myself into a cigarette rehab if there was one available (a legit rehab that is). However, I do not allow myself to smoke inside my house. Even if it's 20 degress outside, I go out there to tend to my disgusting cigarette addiction.
[ This Message was edited by: Scarred on 2006-01-03 18:16 ][ This Message was edited by: Scarred on 2006-01-03 18:18 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 09:30:00 PM »
Hey !
Thanks alot for your honesty! I was totally convinced that I was an addict. For a matter of fact I was in NA for 16 years and deccided to stop buying into that I was going to drop dead if I deciced to smoke and drink. So far I have been doing great. How ever the str8 induced guilt sometimes plauges me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 11:48:00 PM »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Is it possible?
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »
On 2006-01-03 17:44:00, Scarred wrote:

I know what I can & cannot handle. I was at a party last year and someone handed me a mirror with lines of cocaine & I just said no thank you...I hadn't done it in over a decade. Because I was drinking beer I was tempted. I was proud of myself the next day. I knew that if I did one line, I'd be looking for another (vicious cycle).

What if you could unknow that?

You might just pass on the coke anyway, cause it really is not good for old ppl like us, but skip the hair raising moral dilema.

I used to believe it, too. Then I quit believing that and it quit happening. Not coke, though. Not that it matters.

But that's what I tell my friends when they say they're in a funk cause they binged and now they feel bad and just know they'll get worse and... "Hey, skip the self flagragation part and get back to what you were doing."

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0136374069/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Andrew Tannenbaum

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 01:08:00 AM »
On 2006-01-03 17:44:00, Scarred wrote:

However, I do not allow myself to smoke inside my house. Even if it's 20 degress outside, I go out there to tend to my disgusting cigarette addiction.

Oh, try untreated tobacco. The only brand I know of is Natural American Spirits out of Santa Fe Tobacco Co (subsidiery of Reynolds since 2002 or so, so don't blink!) I find I smoke a lot less frequently and jones less intensely in between.

Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make  some of the worst movies in the history of the world.
-- Dave Barry

dragonfly

Is it possible?
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 01:21:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 02:44:00 PM »
Free booze makes homeless healthier?

By Stefanie Kranjec 1 hour, 1 minute ago

TORONTO (Reuters) - Giving homeless alcoholics a regular supply of booze may improve their health and their behavior, the Canadian Medical Association Journal said in a study published on Tuesday.

Seventeen homeless adults, all with long and chronic histories of alcohol abuse, were allowed up to 15 glasses of wine or sherry a day -- a glass an hour from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. -- in the Ottawa-based program, which started in 2002 and is continuing.

After an average of 16 months, the number of times participants got in trouble with the law had fallen 51 percent from the three years before they joined the program, and hospital emergency room visits were down 36 percent.

"Once we give a 'small amount' of alcohol and stabilize the addiction, we are able to provide health services that lead to a reduction in the unnecessary health services they were getting before," said Dr. Jeff Turnbull, one of the authors of the report.

"The alcohol gets them in, builds the trust and then we have the opportunity to treat other medical diseases... It's about improving the quality of life."

Three of the 17 participants died during the program, succumbing to alcohol-related illnesses that might have killed them anyway, the study said.

The report showed that participants in the program drank less than they did before signing up, and their sleep, hygiene, nutrition and health levels all improved.

The per capita cost of around C$771 ($660) a month was partially offset by monthly savings of C$96 a month in emergency services, C$150 in hospital care and C$201 in police services per person.

Turnbull said some of the people enrolled in the program had stopped drinking altogether, although that was not an option for many of the participants.

"We agree 100 percent that abstinence is the most appropriate route," he said. "But in this subset of people where abstinence has failed, there is still a need to provide care."

Link

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 04:28:00 PM »
WOW! That was profound! "words created by sick men."I never even thought of that ... str8 did ruin and cripple me for years and NA/ 12 step programs just proliferated it. Thanks!!!!

Offline Scarred

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2006, 08:50:00 PM »
Sorry to edit my words on this topic. Waking up with nightmares about being put away.[ This Message was edited by: Scarred on 2006-01-22 19:59 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Is it possible?
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »
No, I definitely didn't mean to insult you. Sorry. Dragonfly said about the same thing a lot better.

Well, I've never been really strung out bad on anything. But I know it was more difficult for me to drink resonsibly when I had echos of that staffer ringing in my head, chiding me about what horrible things I was about to do. When I quit believing that, it got much easier.

Not saying you should use drugs, or do anything else for that matter, that cause you problems. Just know that, no matter what happens, even if it's a slip, you will NOT go way down. Fact is, most people don't. Most people who use the hard drugs problematically mature out right about our age.

Instead of damning yourself as afflicted for life, why not think of yourself as all the wiser for it?

Stanton Peele, Thomas Szasz and Andrew Weil all have a good deal to say along these lines.

There is nothing so likely to produce peace as to be well prepared to meet the enemy.
--George Washington