Author Topic: The Seed Discussion Forum...5 years old!  (Read 6596 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
The Seed Discussion Forum...5 years old!
« on: January 02, 2006, 10:42:00 AM »
The first post in the SDF was 12/28/2001.  We just hit five years old, and no longer are we wetting the  bed!

:grin:

Seriously, thanks to all for making this an educational and inspiring process.  Speaking for myself, I have learned a tremendous amount and I appreciate the courage it has taken everyone to dig up these memories and face them down, all the while challenging ourselves and our firmly held conceptions of what occured.

In addition, it has been great reconnecting with some cool people and meeting some new ones.  Imagine, I never thought I would make friends with an old staff member who is pro seed, but I did (ft laud, John Und to name a few).

Thanks again everyone. Lets keep it going.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »
Let me be the first to contradulate you!  This has consistently been one of the most informative and interesting fora on here.  I wasn't in the Seed, I was in its decendant Straight.  There are differences but the basics are the same.  There are a lot of us our here who read SDF regularly, whether we were in Seed, Straight or one of the other spin-off programs.  Thanks for all the valuable info.  :wave:

But this is far from demonstrating that the authorities must interpose to suppress these vices by commercial prohibitions, nor is it by any means evident that such intervention on the part of the government is really capable of suppressing them or that, even if this end could be attained, it might not therewith open up a Pandora's box of other dangers, no less mischievous than alcoholism and morphinism.
http://www.mises.org/liberal/ch1sec11.asp' target='_new'>Ludwig Von Mises

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
Congrats, Greg. Not wetting the bed is just a huge step toward maturity.  Pretty soon there will be sleep overs and before you know it, of to college....

Seriously, though.  Thank you all so much for all that you do.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »
hehe...Now if I could just do something about those wet dreams.

GregFL

(forgot to log in...again!)

Offline JaLong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
Greg,
 Congrats, and thank you for this forum. I have renewed some friendships here after 30 yrs. This forum has been very interesting.... hearing what peoples perspective about their experience in the seed was. I am sorry for all the people who have been messed up by the seed. I have my pros and cons, and I think I have shared them all here. Hope you have another 5 yrs. here.
Thank Greg & Ginger,
Julie

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
Thanks Ginger for providing the expertise, the inspiration, the bandwith, and of course...the controversy!   :grin:

Just a little fornits history here.  It must have been about 7 years ago, I googled my last name (who doesn't?) and found Wes, Ginger, Ken,Kim, Kathy, and a few others talking on a small message board about Straight, INc.  My family has some history with Straight as my father was one of the founders.  This site was  run by Ginger and her husband Bill.

Before long she archived that site and started the WWF to meet the demands of the growing board. Often she hinted to me that I should start a seed discussion forum and she would host it.  One day I called her and asked her to add this site  and I would moderate it, and I also asked her to add several others (CEDU and a couple others) and offered to moderate them as well until we could find others to do so.  pretty quickly others came in to help out.

From the beginning Ginger allowed me to run this site in any manner I chose.  I tried to solicit everyone I could to come here because I figured I had a hell of a lot to learn from others that were there, and learn I have!

You guys are all pretty cool.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 12:23:00 AM »
On 2006-01-02 15:14:00, GregFL wrote:

You guys are all pretty cool.

Indeed. And ya'll are extremely welcome just for that. You know what an asshole I am. I wouldn't do this if I didn't get some enjoyment and satisfaction out of it.

Happy New Year! :wave:

There are not enough jails, not enough policemen, not enough courts to enforce a law not supported by the people.
-- HUBERT H. HUMPHREY, speech (1965)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
Come on your not an asshole.  :rofl:

Sorry I could not resist.

Seriously thanks to you and Greg for doing what you do, although I don't agree with most of it. :grin:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »
Dont worry Ft Laud, total agreement isn't necessarily a tool of knowledge, in spite of what we might have been taught so many years ago.

:wink:

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 10:52:00 AM »
I must agree, this site is excellent.

My brother turned me on to it - called me up one day and said, you have to see this. Then he read me Greg's first post, about riding in his oldcomer's car with a Seed plate in the window and his cigarettes rolled up in his sleeve, tough-guy style...

As I started to read the various posts - I think I eventually read every one (sorry boss!), and I started to get clarity on my experience. Eventually I would talk to Ft. Lauderdale (and oh man, can he talk!) Jgar, and 80's Guy - all people that I thought the world of then and do now. I have PM'ed Wtaylor, and many others, and even had some contact with people from other programs. It's been really cool, to use a Seed-forbidden word.

It's been impossible not to have good memories of laughter, great conversations, and idealism - right along ones of boredom, constricting self-doubt, and of agonizingly leaving. I still read the pro-Seed vs. anti-Seed debate, wondering why people need to 'convert' others - just say Uncle - you know I'm right! - with wonder. I enjoy most the respectful posts, of which there are many, where people are really open to others and their own reality. I find some snarky ones fun, though, too.

So. Thank god for Ginger's enormous anger, that fuels this site and also her advocacy for reform and man, there are some terrible teen programs out there, Seed or not. And for Greg's charming posts - jeezus man stop talking about your wet dreams already! But serously, he does find a balance and maintains this forum well. Good work. Five years. Wow.

Back on the front row, everyone!
ally Gator

Offline marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2006, 02:05:00 PM »
Add my thanks to Greg & Ginger too. Before I found this forum I thought I had resolved all of my seed-related issues. The sleepless night I spent after reading here for the first time made me realize that this wasn't completely true. I think there's a middle ground between 'Get over it and stop whining!" and endlessly blaming all of our problems on the time we spent at the seed. Thanks to all (pro, con and in-between) for helping me better understand.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Instead of thanking Ginger and I, I think the accolades go to all the participants who come here and expose their longly held beliefs up to examination, and also to those that impart bits of the story here and there that were missing.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »
:wstupid:

Eskimo: "If I did not know about God and sin, would I go to hell?"
Priest: "No, not if you did not know."
Eskimo: "Then why did you tell me?"
--Annie Dillard, "Pilgrim at Tinker Creek"

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006, 04:11:00 PM »
I guess we all are, kinda. :grin:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
On 2006-01-03 13:11:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

"I guess we all are, kinda. :grin: "

I think I get that..

:lol: