Author Topic: anybody else have freakin' google ads at the top of the list  (Read 5786 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
anybody else have freakin' google ads at the top of the list
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 11:30:00 PM »
Here's a question. What is it about these particular appeals for your heart and mind that offends you so much?

Every post, every phrase and paragraph, in this entire forum is just that; an appeal to win you over to some point of view. Some of the better, more artfully done appeals are to make us think and laugh and not take ourselves so damned seriously all the time.

And ya'll just have NO idea how much I looked forward to getting a peek at some of that when my only access was a public terminal in Oakland.  ::kiss::

The words are, by design, just the same words that occure throughout the pages; they're as close as the programers and math geeks can come to just what you were reading about.

So what's so different about this now? You can click or not on whatever you like and think what you want to think about it. Making money is not an evil thing to do. Taking it by force or fraud is. But not making it.

I just wonder how good this AI can get. Wonder what's in Have You Read It and if it'll get closer to the mark over time?

Just play with it, dude! Have fun, poke it, bash it, insult it, praise it... see what it does. I'm not done playing with this yet. I won't dig in and decide aforehand whether or not it will work out. But I'm pretty determined to make this work to advantage.

No dirty tricks, either. It's the principle of the thing. This is a free market test. I think totalitarian products and services can't swim these waters. I'm willing to mess around just a little further and see if that pans out even just a little further.

Wanna bet again' it?

When we got organized as a country and we wrote a fairly radical Constitution with a radical Bill of Rights, giving a radical amount of individual freedom to Americans ...... And so a lot of people say there's too much personal freedom. When personal freedom's being abused, you have to move to limit it. That's what we did in the announcement I made last weekend on the public housing projects, about how we're going to have weapon sweeps and more things like that to try to make people safer in their communities.
-- Bill Clinton, 3-22-94

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »
Oh, check it out! First ad list off of Have You Read It.

so long as the priest, that professional negator, slanderer and poisoner of life, is regarded as a superior type of human being, there cannot be any answer to the question: What is truth?
--Freidrich Nietzsche, German philosopher

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 01:21:00 AM »
Welp, I guess we know the links expire pdq. That was an ad link that seemed to key on the term 'whistle blower'.

I can very well do without God both in my life and in my painting, but I cannot, suffering as I am, do without something which is greater than I am, which is my life, the power to create.
--Vincent Van Gogh, Dutch painter

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 06:17:00 AM »
On 2005-12-30 20:30:00, Antigen wrote:

"So what's so different about this now? You can click or not on whatever you like and think what you want to think about it. Making money is not an evil thing to do. Taking it by force or fraud is. But not making it.

I think totalitarian products and services can't swim these waters."

Is propaganda fraud? Is repetition brainwashing? Is exposure to a viral agent one way people get the flu, irrespective of their p.o.v. on germ theory?

Are those who frequent fornits immune to totalitarianism, propaganda, brainwashing, or even mere suggestibility?

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
I also find it amusing that they'll have an increase in "Referring Pages" coming from here.  ::cheers::

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »
Look, you're doing it right now! You're trying to convince all readers of your point of view. And you're using repetition to do it. That's cool with me, but is it any different from paid advertising except in the detail that you don't have to pay to do it?

Is anybody completely immune to this kind of influence? I doubt it. Is anybody completely helpless to resist it? I don't buy that either.

But check this out. How come the troubled parent industry websites don't use Google ads? They buy them, alright. So they know about how it works. And they could, theoretically, turn a buck from all those myriad websites they've got out there. So why not do it?

I have a theory. I think it's because they can't. They can't allow a random sampling of whatever's out there into their marketing material. What they're selling is a scam. The pitch requires a high pressure tactic, including as much control as possible over what the mark is thinking about.

We don't have that problem. Now...

The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy.".
--George Washington, Revolutionary War General and U.S. President

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 03:08:00 AM »
Who'd a thunk it: Ginger, a propaganda apologist!

Now Ginger, if my words were mere repetition I wouldn't give you such wholesome and original questions to mull over as I did in that last anonymous post.

If you don't think there is a big difference between conversation and propaganda, which are you engaged in?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 02:47:00 PM »
On 2006-01-04 00:08:00, Anonymous wrote:

If you don't think there is a big difference between conversation and propaganda, which are you engaged in?

Describe the difference, please.

The United States of America should have a foundation free from the influence of clergy.".
--George Washington, Revolutionary War General and U.S. President

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 03:26:00 PM »
In case nobody's noticed the VAST MAJORITY of those ads are already gone.  Seems WWASPS etc. feel the need to control any and all info.  Ginger was right.