Author Topic: anybody else have freakin' google ads at the top of the list  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
anybody else have freakin' google ads at the top of the list
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 10:35:00 AM »
On 2005-12-29 18:32:00, Antigen wrote:

"Oh, butch up! I decided to see if I could get some bucks rolling in to offset the costs. I suppose I could charge a fee to eliminate that one little line of text. But nobody would pay it. It's not really that annoying, is it? I'll admit, the layout sucks. It's just so hard to make anything work in all cases. I may have the new phpbb up and running soon, though, so it'll be a whole new look.

Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;

He who would search for perls must dive below.

Prolougue (from preface to
the Panther Book)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0510337112/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>John Dryden, All for Love, Prolougue

"

Trouble is, some of the things Google has decided to try to sell to me include ALA, Robert Land Academy, RedCliff Ascent, and WWASP.  I don't know how it does it but it seems to try to guess what you are interested in by the page you are looking at.  Right now it thinks I am into WWF wrestling.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 10:47:00 AM »
Hey instead of having the googls ads, why not just rename it:

The Official Kodachrome Straight, Inc. Veterans' Forum

Capital One Visa Straight, Inc. Child Victims of the Brainwash Institution Forum

I myself not being in any manner savvy on the collection of revenues via linkage and so forth, nevertheless suggest I hope not too foolishly... ~ what if you were to make a page here at fornits linking to worthy business adventures - keep it to corporations doing the right thing - ventures of possible mutual interest, do it yourselfer get off the gridder enterprises like realgoods.com, put in a couple high quality hemp distributors, maybe harley davidson bikes and parts if they are staying in the U.S.

That's just an idea. I like not looking at advertisements. They get in my head, like propaganda or something. It's like advertisements are an inherent and viscerally bothersome representation of the brainwash institution, like all those pictures of Chairman Mao or something.

My settings do not allow me to view the ads, I mention this for the principle of the thing.

I recommend that all those bothered in principle and in body by advertisements boycott fornits until that propaganda shit comes down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2005, 10:55:00 AM »
Or you could just not click on them.  Novel approach I know, but it works.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2005, 11:47:00 AM »
On 2005-12-29 14:37:00, Anonymous wrote:

"FYI: Google data-mines everything. This is not a comfortable development.  "

Darlin, Google has been mining data from this site since very soon after I opened it. And Google isn't the only one. There's also inktomisearch, msnbot and a whole regiment of other data mining bots. That's how come we come up on a search. Placing an ad line in the page doesn't change that at all.

Honestly, I wish I'd gotten around to this a bit sooner. Coulda used a little green stuff awhile back, ya know?

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »
On 2005-12-30 07:35:00, Anonymous wrote:

Trouble is, some of the things Google has decided to try to sell to me include ALA, Robert Land Academy, RedCliff Ascent, and WWASP.  I don't know how it does it but it seems to try to guess what you are interested in by the page you are looking at.  Right now it thinks I am into WWF wrestling."

Yeah, Google has got some hot shit AI going on there. I've thought about this for a long time, put it off, I'll think about it tomorrow, la te dah. Then I checked out Charlie King's take on it and I think he's probably right. I think those industry ads showing up in this context are probably not helping their business; it's like a defaced billboard or something. But they have to pay anyway. Christ on a crutch, with the amount of traffic this site gets, they'll probably see an increase in advertising bills by the middle of next month (as I understand the billing cycle).

I've never looked into the advertiser end of it. I wonder if they can block fornits.com from their end?

Who knows. I'll just wait and see how this plays out. Oh, btw, Bill said he'd resign if I upgrade to the new PhpBB. And he's got some very valid points there. I think it's high time for an overhaul, though. This layout absolutely sucks great sweaty donky balls! It's damned near impossible to work on. But we just have so damned many custom features not present in the new release. And there is some degree of security through obscurity, after all. We actually did dodge a total wipe out one time. Not just the forums, but a hack that would have blown out everything under Fornits, including some of my customers' sites, if we hadn't mangled the code already.

So I think I'll just start doing a bit of tweaking and fix what I got.

Anybody who's really that offended or annoyed by the ads, please feel free to click on the occasional link for free web forum hosting.

I turned to speak to God, About the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there.
--Robert Frost, American poet

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2005, 12:04:00 PM »
On 2005-12-30 07:47:00, Anonymous wrote:

what if you were to make a page here at fornits linking to worthy business adventures - keep it to corporations doing the right thing - ventures of possible mutual interest, do it yourselfer get off the gridder enterprises like realgoods.com, put in a couple high quality hemp distributors, maybe harley davidson bikes and parts if they are staying in the U.S.

Well, I've thought about that and hunkered and watched how it all plays out. Sadly, there are just as many pitfalls there. I initially wanted to advertise for Marc Emory. Then I found out that ... well, all good deeds and intentions aside, he's just not a person I really would like to do business with. Then you get the fucking DEA seruptitiously commandeering commercial web sites for use in their sting operations. Then you have the whole 'The Hemperor pays no dues' saga going on all over the place.

No, I keep coming back around to the same conclusion. I'm not qualified (don't think anyone is) to determine which companies are good for you to do business with. It's better, by far, to avoid creating the appearance of any endorsement at all from me. It's just pretty much random; whoever is willing to pay Google for this type of ad, well that's what turns up.

We did not inherit this land from our ancestors, we borrow it form our children.

http://www.civilization.ca/aborig/haida/hapindxe.html' target='_new'>Haida

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2005, 12:32:00 PM »

"Hey instead of having the googls ads, why not just rename it:

Capital One Visa Straight, Inc. Child Victims of the Brainwash Institution Forum

I myself not being in any manner savvy on the collection of revenues via linkage and so forth, nevertheless suggest I hope not too foolishly... ~ what if you were to make a page here at fornits linking to worthy business adventures - keep it to corporations doing the right thing - ventures of possible mutual interest, do it yourselfer get off the gridder enterprises like realgoods.com, put in a couple high quality hemp distributors, maybe harley davidson bikes and parts if they are staying in the U.S.

I recommend that all those bothered in principle and in body by advertisements boycott fornits until that propaganda shit comes down."

Sure, right after you buy all hemp clothes, put down that keyboard (made in china), stop looking in that monitor made in Korea.

You are unfucking real.  It is real easy to take some phony moral high ground while you are browsing this site on someone else's nickel.  

You remind me of the guy in the soup kitchen line that complains that the soup is too hot.

GregFL

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »
Would anyone mind terribly if I were to move this thread over to Web Forum Hosting?

Come in the evening, or come in the morning; Come when you 're looked for, or come without warning.
-- Thomas O. Davis (1814-1845): The Welcome.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
I say leave it here Ging.  No one will see it there.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »
On 2005-12-30 09:38:00, GregFL wrote:

"I say leave it here Ging.  No one will see it there.

"

That's the whole point of moving it dip shit. ::fuckoff::  ::fuckoff::

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »
And you and your ilk, little boy, are the reason so many reasonable people don't frequent this site anymore.

Who wants to hang around assholes like you?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
On 2005-12-30 09:46:00, Reagan Youth wrote:

"

On 2005-12-30 09:38:00, GregFL wrote:

"I say leave it here Ging.  No one will see it there.

"

That's the whole point of moving it dip shit. ::fuckoff::  ::fuckoff::
"

No, actually, the point would be to get it into the history on website hosting. See, I really will quit threatening one of these days and actually improve the layout and fix some other bugs in this here highly modified softwear. And I'd like for ppl interested in the tech/admin end of things to be able to find all relavent discussion right there where you'd expect to find it.

Speaking of which, that's one nifty feature I've thought about writing. I'd like to have the ability to x-ref a thread so that it would show up in two or more forums.

Hmm... Ok, so I'm moving this thread and I'll just kludge it by posting a link back to it.

When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set."

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/viewpoints/editorial/ci_3231029' target='_new'>Lyn Utang

dragonfly

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2005, 08:22:00 PM »
On 2005-12-30 09:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"Hey instead of having the googls ads, why not just rename it:

I recommend that all those bothered in principle and in body by advertisements boycott fornits until that propaganda shit comes down."

Sure, right after you buy all hemp clothes, put down that keyboard (made in china), stop looking in that monitor made in Korea.

You are unfucking real.  It is real easy to take some phony moral high ground while you are browsing this site on someone else's nickel.  

You remind me of the guy in the soup kitchen line that complains that the soup is too hot.

GregFL

"

hey boyo, i don't like ads. a lot of people don't like ads. i present a potential solution wherein there might be revenue-generating linkages on a separate, voluntarily accessed place, but make it cool and all. nothing wrong with that, i think we all when we can try to avoid the child labor stuff. it's hard to find goods in the marketplace at all anymore without buying something made with child labor, petroleum, polluting and so on. i know we all share these concerns. i thought i would be on the same page regarding the consciousness of advertisements, propaganda, where money is spent. the mere repetition of a name gives it familiarity which is important for a sale. now, i am no statistics-collector, but advertisers sure are. they don't need people to click on the ad for a child torture camp to have an effective ad, they just need the name to enter the consciousness. that is a fact of advertising.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
Hey, I just wanted to say I do, sincerely apreciate all the thoughts and feedback.

I do recognize the ad impression, familiarity, brainwashing potential. But there's a counterbalance; context. You don't win ad campaigns by associating your product w/ unseemly material. When I'm done messing w/ the layout for the moment, I'm gonna go see what's selling over in Let It Bleed. I bet it's some cool music and stuff.

That's the point of the experiment. The AI is supposed to find ads that seem to fit the context of the page. Sometimes it's rather bizarre but usually it's pretty close.

And I think we should start some threads about troubled chickens just to see what turns up in the ads. Then the particular ads will attract some, repel others and it could get really interesting!

[Religion is] the daughter of hope and fear, explaining to ignorance the nature of the unknowable.
--Ambrose Bierce