Author Topic: Pathfinders, and the *sshole Mike Parr  (Read 24871 times)

Offline juliek

• View Profile
Pathfinders, and the *sshole Mike Parr
« on: December 13, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
Is there anyone else out there who was sent to and survived Pathfinders Inc., in New Mexico? It was owned and operated by a man named Mike Parr. If you were there, sent your child to it, or have information about it, please let me know. There are several people who are joining together to file a civil suit against Mike Parr and his program (which has been shut down, while operating in Utah; they were busted for not having a business license). Even if you are not interested in joining the civil suit, I would be interested to hear from you. I have some personal questions about my experience there that have been nagging me for 13 years, and I would like to discuss them with someone, to see if their experience was similar.
Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline erinmsadler

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:57:00 PM »
i went to pathfinders / mike parr, i know him. i've tried researching what happened to the program - can't find anything on the internet - there was a girl named julie out there with me who was younger...long dark hair? i'm erin from texas. please get into contact regardless, i feel like i'm in a damn vacuum.
rinsadler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:59:00 PM »
mIKE pARR LOVES US ALL

Offline [email protected]

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
I went to pathfinders March - July of 95/96.

I also have some conflicting emotions and questions about pathfinders.  I have been researching pathfinders and parr for almost a year.  I haven't found anything great yet.

Pathfinders closed a few weeks after I graduated in Colorado.  (From what I have heard)  Someone had a bad fungal infection in their finger and had to have medical attention which led to the amputation of the finger.  Once this happened the local news media found out and questioned the campers and were suprised to hear what they said was happening to them there.  The news people obviously did research and found out that they did not have a license to run the camp in Colorado. (We had to leave New Mexico in the middle of the night due to fire danger).

If anyone sees this please contact me :[email protected]  

I am really anxious to hear from someone.

Kim

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 04:42:00 AM »
i went to pathfinders twice! A total of five months in the new mexico desert, and i never missed my fire. what questions do you have? let me know.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 11:03:00 AM »
I was at Pathfinders in New Mexico from 11/92-1/93.  Like everyone else, I am very interested in what happened to the program and Mike Parr.  I am also curious about the civil suit.  How did that come about?  Also, to the person who was there twice, what's that all about?  I was there with a guy who was on his second visit.  He ended his first visit by successfully running away.  Then he decided to return.  Just wondering if you are the same person.  

Anyone with info, feel free to email me [email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 04:02:00 AM »
I attended pathfinders from april 96 to July 96. During that time we moved from New Mexico to Colorado, due to forest fire risks. I was involved with the program for 11 weeks. The end of my experience came when the Rio Blanco county sheriff's office visited our campsite and informed us that they were shutting down Pathfinders. A few days prior, 2 other kids were evacuated due to bad strep (flesh-eating disease) infections. I was quarantined with the rest of the group for 4 days. As far as I know, the program re-started in New Mexico almost immediately, and then closed for some period of time.

[email protected]

Offline sleepy pie rice

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 03:33:00 AM »
Yes i am the same person who went twice. I did walk out because mike parr kicked over my pot of rice when i told him he was full of it.  So i left. I decided to return because i didnotthink i had any other options. I must admit i am one that actually enjoyed living out in the middel of nowhere. I just wish we could have had more of a chance to explore our real problems, rather than pathfinders preconceived ideas about us.

Offline whatever99

• View Profile

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »
I'm Charleen E.  I didn't know that lawsuit information was still on the internet.  Crazy!  I'm 28 now, married, just had twins, and I still think about Pathfinders all the time. That place was a nightmare. I told my husband that I want to go back to that desert in NM just so I can feel as though I can LEAVE when I want to.  Anyway, you can email me at [email protected] if you want to chat about it.  I was there from 10/21/92 - 1/21/03.  NIGHTMARE!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »
does anyone know anything about mike parr's son? did he ever play a role in any of these trips? what is the family doing now?

Offline juliek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 09:53:00 PM »
Charleen E... I did read about your case on the internet, and read the unfortunate outcome. I am so sorry, and if I had known about it when it was going on, I would have been willing to testify on your behalf, to support your statements about Mike and the program. The lawsuit that I posted info about on here is a new, current one, which is still in the developmental phase. If anyone is interested in getting involved, then please let me know. The important thing to consider, though, is that it will be difficult. You may be asked to remember events that you would rather just forget (for me, personally, I have awful memories of things I witnessed while I was there). I'm not talking about the "other stuff" that they made us tell them (if you know what I'm reffering to), but I know that most people had a pretty miserable time there and would rather just forget the whole thing. I'm going to do it, though, because I f*cking hate Mike Parr, and by confronting him, in person, I might gain some much deserved peace.

Offline brookekgray

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »
What is the lawsuit going on now?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 08:09:00 AM »
Wouldn't the statute of limitations be expired by now? As far as I can tell Pathfinders is not currently operating anywhere. I could understand a lawsuit if it would put an end to the organization, but it seems that has already occured. I'm not saying I'm against the idea, just don't understand what you hope to accomplish.

We were going to take part in a class-action lawsuit in 96, pending the outcome of the criminal investigation stemming from the Colorado flesh-eating disease incident. However, the newly elected district attorney decided not to proceed with charges, so as far as I know the lawsuit was scrapped.

Anyway, regardless, I have an exceptional memory, and as a result my recallection of the events during my time at Pathfinders is quite extensive. If you're interested in information that may further your cause, let me know.

Mike

[email protected]

Offline LIBERAL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »
I went to to Pathfinders around 93....fucked up shit man.  Crazy perversions going on out there.  The word when I was there was that you had to lie about being molested to get out.  I did, so did many I know.  There real creepy sexual undertones going on out there... out of all my time in the system...that was the worst place I went