Author Topic: The less than successful reunions or reunions you might not  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
The less than successful reunions or reunions you might not
« on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:00 AM »
I did have a really interesting reunion last summer 2004 with two other gals I met while I was in Ft. Luderdale back in 1973.

By mutual plan, we ventured up to  New York (from Floirda and Mich) for a "reunion" of sorts.  One girl I'll call L, was someone I had remained friends with over the years.  we shared life experiences beyond the seed - and we had fun over the years, but had lost touch about 10 or 12 years back.  The other I'll call W,  I had not laid eyes on in 30 some years.  IT seemed to me that W was in some ways stuck in the seed. She spent the week asking probing program questions of me (and other strangers) and it wa difficult.  I did not really feel like I owed an explanation to any one, let alone someone who claimed they knew me so well.  Some might think here ...defensive.  And probably so.

Now with L, she and I got caught up relatively quickly and found a common ground and were able to enjoy the mixture of old and new.  She has put both of her kids into similar programs, and while I may not have choosen that path for my family, it was not my place to question or judge her choices as I  am a virtual stranger - I don't pay her bills or walk in her shoes.  

With the other girl, W, we were kind of stuck at the 15 to 17 year old range. I guess since she had always been the "more aware" seedling of the group and followed the inquisition line as a seedling, she assumed that role again.

In unfamiliar situations we always fall back on what it most familiar, right?  

And for my part, I was met with memories of inquisition and accusation at every turn, so I obviously had on my "ear-cone filters of persecution" as they fit me so well...  

Somehow, we found some small common ground for a week, but it was tough.  We did try to keep the friendship going, but it crashed and burned.  She was asking rhetorical quesitons, I was busy answering them, and no body was getting anything but frustrated.  So, I chose to end the contact.  Harsh, but I just could not see the point of it - I really felt like it was a waste of time.

Sometimes, the past should stay in the past. Were it not for being in that program, I doubt any of us would have even been friends.

Some lucky folks may have made actual friends while in there - but it didn't happen that way for me.  I met maybe 7 people while I was in the seed I didn't love them all then and after 30 years, I still didn't love them all, not by any means.  Well, except one who shall remain nameless.

In many ways, if I had a do-over, I'd go back to last summer and miss the plane. I realy thought about missing it at the last minute because honestly, I was afraid about going back to the past, going back to the seed.  That's what it represented to me. And it was after this reunion that I got serious about coming to terms with my feelings about the seed and what happened to me as a result of being placed in that program.

So, was it a happy reunion?  It was okay, that's all.  Would I do it again?  No.  Maybe one on one where we both had a clear way out, but never in a group dynamic - that sends out the "DANGER WILL ROBINSON" robot-arm flapping response and I want to run in the opposite direction.  

That's my story.  I suppose the reuion was successful in that I was challenged to a new place psychologically and I am not stuck trying to operate under those rules anymore.  But it was painful to start getting past that.  

Maybe if not for the reunion, I'd still be trying to intergrate the program rules into my life, trying to manage an addiction I never had and failing miserably. So I guess the reunion was good for me in that respect.  But it also brought home the fact of how few friends I really had at that time of my life - and it was a sad reminder of the loneliness that came with following the company line.

[ This Message was edited by: Stripe on 2005-12-12 06:26 ][ This Message was edited by: Stripe on 2005-12-12 06:34 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:55:00 PM »
I too, endured a similar experience with running into Seed people and trying to rekindle a shared reationship, after leaving the Seed. I ran into an old Seed friend in '86. He had been in Fla, earlier than me and asked to leave, so when I moved down in '82 he was already gone. We had been very good friends from '78-82 in Clev.  
I saw him at a movie house in I'm guessing '86 in Cleveland, Both of us were originally clevelanders, and came into the cleveland seed. He was visintg Clev I found out, as he was still working on his degree at Univ ofMiami.

We agreed to meet later, and for a few weeks during that summer we each tried to rekindle a past experience of having been close friends during our Seed days. But being removed from the bind of the Seed, showed both of us that we weren't interested in knowing someone from that part of our life anymore.
When we had been friends '78-82, we each knew the party line and never departed from it. At that time He was over his bitterness toward the Seed asking him to leave, and saw it as a blessing. I too, felt the same way, But, it was hard to share anything new, because our perception of each other was based on a shared past, which now was gone. It was like we were "new" people trying to escape the "Seeds" shackles.

We parted ways realizing how different we were then (now),and it was incomfortable to know each other later.
I went to a treatment program yrs after that event for my being a ACA "survivor". It was during this time that I was willing and able to work on my having been apart of the Seed and the consequences it had on my life. I learned some about cults and learned about the experience I had had with my old friend some yrs before.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 03:18:00 PM »
Me too. I virtually have lost touch with every person I knew in the seed, save for the ones I meet up with her on the forum, and a few family members that really don't like discussing it at all.

However, it seems that many of the Ft Lauderdale group longtimers have stayed in touch, at least to some extent.

S

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 04:08:00 PM »
Everyone I've met up with I've stayed in touch with.  Only one person has refused to talk to me on the phone.  Hes actually very well educated and even said he liked me back then & had nothing against me but was leary of reconnecting with anyone.  To each his own.   I even went out to California to visit RJFRO22 in January of this year.  It was my first visit to CA.  We had a blast.  I saw all sorts of movie stars and cool places.  We talk all the time.  We had not seen each other in over 30 yrs.  Wally Gator is afraid to talk me on the phone because I can talk for hours and hours and hours.  So we email back and forth often.  The same with alot of others.  My overall experiences have been great. :grin:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 06:37:00 PM »
What about people outside the forum Ft Lauderdale, are you in touch with other seed people that don't participate here?

If so, how many?

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
I think I'm kind of like the first guy you referred to, Ft. Lauderdale.  I would have to say I was very wary of making the  reacquaintance.  And for one relationship, it was fine and we're ok.  For the other, the past should have been left in the past.  I guess in some respects I am a more honest ? whole?  person because I made the break and quit jerking around and wasting words trying to make someting out of nothing.  

I'm guessing that but for the circumstances, some of the people I never would have been friends with anyway, so in the "reality check" of reunionizing, it's okay that we have have gone our separate ways.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 07:42:00 AM »
Yes, probably so Stripe.  My experience was good so I don't have many enmies.  People generaly recall good memories of me.  I guess because I was a pretty good guy.  Go figure.

Yes Greg I'm in touch with quite a few people.

Whats your motive with that question (sorry I got sneaky vibes there) (more Seed terminology)

Am I Paronoid? On this site? Yes.  but only for my own sensitive feelings.  ouch :scared:

Greg I hope that doesn't grate your ass too much.
 :grin:

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »
No kidding FL you are a talker!
ally Gator

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
Ft. Lauderdale,

I don't think it's so much a fact of having enemies (back then or now) and not wanting to confront them as much as it is, in many respects, closing a chapter of my life.

In my world, I found that seed method of wiping away things and turning my back on what I perceived as bad (the old I can't talk to you approach) just would not work any more.  So a big part of the chapter closing for me has been to intensively look at the sum total of my experience while there and afterwards and do some work to reconcile myself to my past actions.  That's what I have used this forum for:  alternately being angry, remourseful, sad and yes, even happy, and most importantly, stating truth as I experienced it then and know it to be now.  

It would not be fair to the damaged kid who still exists inside me to simply get over it the seed way and fail to acknowledge the hurt, guilt, disappointment and extreme self-criticism that I have carried all my life because of my taking the seed principles to heart.  Worse yet would be to ignore those feelings and simply turn away from them in another vian attempt to keep my world on what some perceive as the acceptable "seed rules" track.  

Those kinds of feelings really must be acknowledged before anything is gotten over and one's life becomes acceptable and orderly again.  

That's one of the reasons why I tried to "reunion" with the girls - to give myself a reality check and just as I suspected, I still did not need or want that kind of reinforcement.  It didn't work then, had not worked all of my life from age 15 to age 47, and still does not work in the present. To quote myself...the stove was there and I touched it AGAIN and it was still hot. Lesson reinforced.

Over all, being put in the seed as a non-addict child led to some pretty horrific, life-long consequences.  I really tried to resolve these problems on my own, with the help of numerous therapists and with support groups.  But no matter how much time or money I threw at the problem, I never got any peace until I finally recognized AND unloaded all of the hurt and anger I've carried and harbored against myself all these years. Understanding where and how these feelings began was the biggest part of closing this chapter.

Certainly neither the seed experience nor any reunions you have organized or attended have been that way for you and man oh man, are you lucky.   :tup:

I hope we all are able to get what we need in this life so that we can all have a full and truly loving existence, however it comes to us: by reconnecting with old friends; by reinforcing the historical lessons that important to us which bring us joy and peace; by making new friends who help us to better understand who we are; or by facing whatever truths we need to face to finally have peace in our souls.  That's my wish for us all.

Stripe

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »
Stripe,
 your right.  Enemies was not the right way for me to say that.  I've really always connected with people quite well.  I have always been really excited when I run into people I have not seen for a long time. Because of the connection we have made with each other.   Now I do have an enemy or two that I don't feel this way about.  I like people, I always have.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
On 2005-12-13 04:42:00, Ft. Lauderdale wrote:

"Yes, probably so Stripe.  My experience was good so I don't have many enmies.  People generaly recall good memories of me.  I guess because I was a pretty good guy.  Go figure.

Yes Greg I'm in touch with quite a few people.

Whats your motive with that question (sorry I got sneaky vibes there) (more Seed terminology)

Am I Paronoid? On this site? Yes.  but only for my own sensitive feelings.  ouch :scared:

Greg I hope that doesn't grate your ass too much.

:grin: "

Sneeky vibes? Lol...

No, just seeing if your experience was different than mine, that is all.

How is Art, anyway?

:grin:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 01:59:00 PM »
Lauderdale, I honestly doubt it. Not that you're misrepresenting your true perception or lying or anything. I don't think that. What I think is that whenever you run into a Seed critic, you look for and find an excuse to disregard them totally. So, to you, they barely exist at all.

It is the old practice of despots to use a part of the people to keep
the rest  in order; and those who have once got an ascendency and possessed themselves of  all the resources of the nation, their revenues and offices, have immense means  for retaining their advantages.
--Thomas Jefferson to John  Taylor, 1798

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
I'm sorry was someone saying something?  I could barely hear it :grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
Thank you Dr. Freud quite an analysis.  We all kinda hear what we want to hear.  Don't ya think?

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
Sorry Ms. Webmistriss that was my post.  I forgot to sign in.