Author Topic: Should some distinctions be made ?  (Read 2048 times)

Offline FueLaw

• View Profile
Should some distinctions be made ?
« on: December 09, 2005, 02:12:00 PM »
It seems to me some distinctions should be made in reagrds to how the Seed effected people. Based on post from folks like John Underwood, Landyh, and some the original people in the program, the original Seed was way different than it was for me. My time frame is May '73-July '74. The Seed as I experienced it was different than the others that came after me. The Seed from 1990 on, as described by others posting on this board, was completely different than the other time periods.

The point I am trying to make is the Seed changed over time and any individual experience was clearly dependent on how the Seed was during their relevant time period. In other words the front row experience for Underwood, Landyh & others was completely different and unique from mine. Even Underwood, in a post, acknowledges the Seed changed over time and as it grew it developed more and more rules, policies and things of this nature.

There are several other factors I believe are also critical in our individual experience. They are your age when you went in and whether or not you were in voluntarily or not.

Based on reading the board for about 3 years it seems to me the older you were the better you were able to handle the Seed. Maybe that is a function of age, maturity, better understanding of life,, or just how to play the game, ect..., I was 14 when I went in I clearly did not have the life experience as someone who was 7-10 years older. The Seed to me was a brutal brutal nightmare. In addition I was forced to go in the Seed. In other words I did not want to be there. Because I was not voluntary the Seed had to force themselves on me and I resented it and resisted it to the best of my ability.

Having read and considered many post, who views are different than mine, it appears to me that the common thread among most of the people who reflect back at their time in the Seed in a positive light were that they were older and there on a voluntary basis. Depending on their involvement with drugs, and other paralell issues, they benefited in ways that others couldn't.

As far as the Seed being a cult or not it really doesn't matter. (I happen to believe it clearly was) Just because it is or is not a cult doesn't preclude people for wanting to be a part of it and enjoying there experience in it.  At this point and time , 30 + years down the road, does it really matter?

With respect to rehabs I think adults can put themselves into any type of rehab they like. Cult or not. However, I will always be opposed to taking teenagers and forcing them to go through this kind of treatment.

One of the reasons we will alwys argue and disagree about our Seed experience it that we are not even really arguing over the same thing. The Seed was different for each of us based in large part on the factors I previously mentioned. [ This Message was edited by: FueLaw on 2005-12-09 11:16 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline jgar

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
Hey Fuelaw,

You put it very well and could not agree more with you. All these factors did play very important roles on how people perceived their experiences at the Seed. You expressed these factors very well. To condemn someone for their view in my opinion would be simply wrong and arrogant. I have posted mostly pro Seed but this being the stand that I have decided to take does not for me negate other people whose opinions may differ. This being said I will also admit it has opened my eyes and has given me a certain freedom to critically exam my own experience.

On certain occasions I have seen and felt the anger of those who have violently expressed their opinions as the only true and legitimate view due to whatever their Seed experience might have been.
For the most part I have found that on this forum on most occasions? reason and level headedness has prevailed from both sides of this discussion.  I hope this continues to be the norm.

[ This Message was edited by: jgar on 2005-12-09 13:31 ]

Offline landyh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
On 2005-12-09 13:29:00, jgar wrote:

"Hey Fuelaw,

You put it very well and could not agree more with you. All these factors did play very important roles on how people perceived their experiences at the Seed. You expressed these factors very well. To condemn someone for their view in my opinion would be simply wrong and arrogant. I have posted mostly pro Seed but this being the stand that I have decided to take does not for me negate other people whose opinions may differ. This being said I will also admit it has opened my eyes and has given me a certain freedom to critically exam my own experience.

On certain occasions I have seen and felt the anger of those who have violently expressed their opinions as the only true and legitimate view due to whatever their Seed experience might have been.

For the most part I have found that on this forum on most occasions? reason and level headedness has prevailed from both sides of this discussion.  I hope this continues to be the norm.

[ This Message was edited by: jgar on 2005-12-09 13:31 ]"

Here, Here. I couldn't have said it better myself although I thought I already had in another thread. :wink: Not that it doesn't bear repeating. The only thing I would disagree with and maybe that isn't the right word but I have a contrary perception about one thing. My young age at the time I first went to the Seed actually made it a better experience for me. I realize that my experience was unique. They simply had never previously dealt with anyone as young as nine. Because of that I was an anomaly and something of an object of interest in the program. Just being a cute kid earned me a tremendous amount of positive attention as I have mentioned previously. I think I can say with some honesty that the almost universally positive feedback I recieved then colors my peception of my first experience there.   I just think that you were closer to home when you talk about the role of time and how it shaped our experiences. By the time I got there the second time I was around 12 I think, but they had become somewhat jaded to my charms by then. :wink:
Whatever thou put his hand to do it with all thy might\" King Solomon

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:38:00 PM »
Even though I was not initially voluntary I realized quickly that I needed help, unlike alot of others who have posted to the contrary I began experimenting at 13 so by the time I went in at 16 I had tried & used almost every drug around at the time (even snorted a little H, was terrified of needles though, good thing.)

I readily admit because of my extreme nature the Seed saved my life, and gave me a way to get out of the drug scene til at least college. Even though I got back into experimenting & ultimately using for "recreational" purposes again & managed to remain "functional" hell some thought succesful! It wasn't until 1991 that I admitted my root problem was alcohol.

All the rest for me is just intellectual banter, BUT I do love it! & respect all of you for your beliefs and strong opinions!

Much love,

Chris
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 11:32:00 AM »
On 2005-12-09 13:29:00, jgar wrote:

"Hey Fuelaw,

]"

Yes I see this too.  Thanks, all four of you guys!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 01:06:00 PM »
Yup, just so. This is almost always my favorite forum. Am I having a little too much fun fuckin' w/ Lauderdale sometimes? Ok, maybe so. But it takes two (at least).

Merry Christmass, ya'll!

Faith is believing something you know ain't true.
--Samuel Clemens "Mark Twain", American author and humorist

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 08:20:00 AM »
Would that be classified as "Mind fucking"?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
Well, don't dish it out if ya' can't take it.

When elephants ? ght, it is the grass that suffers.

http://jonathangullible.com/translations/UK_Comnt040222.pdf' target='_new'>Kikuyu proverb

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes