Author Topic: Spring Creek Lodge  (Read 225540 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:00:00 AM »
I am contacting you hoping to get some help in trying to get a child out of spring creek lodge.  He is 17 1/2 years old and was taken to this facility against his will.  His parents lied to him and had him physically restrained and transported to this school.  I am the parent of a personal friend of his, and I am very concerned for his safety.  He did get into some legal trouble here in Michigan, and is supposed to have a pretrial on December 15, 2005.  He was willing to get into a local program here, and was in contact with the facility.  His parents would not let him continue to attend his senior year in high school, and refused to let him get his own help.  He is being charged with a felony, so he is being charged as an adult.  I feel he should be able to make his own life choices, since he is being charged as an adult in the court system. I have contacted the courts here, the prosecuting office, as well as the judge, but have not heard back as of yet.  Alex was able to run away from the transport service and managed to get outside of the airport to a bridge.  At that time he threatened to jump off of the bridge if they did not let him call us to tell us what happened to him.  I am very concerned, I believe that at this time he is capable of hurting himself if he does not get out of this place.  His parents are totally convinced that this is where he needs to be, and have not done any research whatsoever.  Any feedback or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  He was put there on November 29, 2005.  He will be 18 in June, but I believe he will try to either run away or hurt himself way before that.  Please help.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 11:45:00 AM »
It is very difficult to obtain information on minors, however, if he is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing he must have an attorney  representing him. Depending upon the family's financial situation, he may either have a public defender or an attorney retained by his parents. You might consider retaining a local criminal defense attorney to try to get this information and perhaps attend the pre-trial hearing. If your friend is present at the hearing, he could ask the court to allow him to chose his own defense counsel. If he is being tried as an adult, it seems reasonable that the court would give him that option. Because of his age, there is a good chance that he will have something to say about where he is placed. One of the many  problems with these programs, aside from the fact that they abuse children and rip parents off, is that the kids are not advised of their constitutional rights and are basically incarcerated without due process. Since your friend has been charged with a crime, he has the absolute right to counsel, so he may be in a better to position than most to have a say in the matter. Best of luck, your friend is fortunate to have people who care and are willing to help.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
Try contacting ISAC (www.isaccorp.org). I know they have managed to get kids released from these hell holes in the past, and they may be able to help you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:02:00 PM »
what right do you think you have to undermine the decision of this young man's parents?  They have obviously placed this juvenile into a program for a reason, after all "mother knows best."  You don't need to worry either, SCL is a wonderful place, I myself graduated from there in 1999 and it truly changed my life. You dont need to worry about him running away from their either, it's in the middle of nowhere, and they always catch the runners! :grin:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:20:00 PM »
Be very concerned for his safety and well being. A student succesfully committed suicide there by hanging herself. If he is suicidal, he belongs in a psychiatric setting, not a 'behavior modification' camp.

Because he is 17 1/2, he can wait out his time until he turns 18, which he will most likely do. He is at a lower risk of brainwashing than the younger students, because he has a 'hope' to look forward to due to his age. He will not receive any help at SCL, only discipline, humiliation, and quite possibly physical and emotional abuse. He sounds like the type that might spend time up in the hobbit, and in worksheets, for not complying with the program.

When he turns 18 and wishes to leave the program is when you can REALLY help. The program (via his parents) will offer an exit plan ranging from nothing but the clothes on his back, to possibly some cash and a ride to the closest town. Either way, this is when you can really help him. Otherwise, he will be pressured by scare tactics to stay in the 18 year old program. It is scary to face walking down the street into homelessness at 18!

Somehow, you need to get letters into him. This will only usually happen if his parents allow this. The best way is to slip in your letters with their letters, because they write a code on the letter or something, or put a sticker on it, I'm not positive. In that letter instruct him to keep quiet about you helping him after he leaves to prevent any actions against you. Give him your phone number and tell him you will wait for his call on his 18th birthday, and you will wire him money and a train ticket, etc. This will give him immense hope, and he will certainly feel better about the future. This is one idea at least. At the very least, it might keep him from hurting himself or running.

You say he escaped his transport, went up on a bridge and threatened suicide, so he should have been placed under a 72 hour watch at a psychiatric facility. Not shipped to a private teen prison with the occasional large group brainwash session to boot. It's crazy his parents believe this place is the best for him... utterly insane.

It reminds me very much of my own situation. Unfortunately, he is in for a shitty experience, especially because he sounds like the type which will reject the program's flawed ideology. At least he will remain 'himself', but he will get some major shit for 'not working the program' and such. He can just wait his time out, but the damage done to him, his family, and everyone who knew him will already be done. This is a fucked up situation for all involved... accept WWASP, they are making out just fine.

Good luck.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
On 2005-12-03 09:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"what right do you think you have to undermine the decision of this young man's parents?  They have obviously placed this juvenile into a program for a reason, after all "mother knows best."  You don't need to worry either, SCL is a wonderful place, I myself graduated from there in 1999 and it truly changed my life. You dont need to worry about him running away from their either, it's in the middle of nowhere, and they always catch the runners! :grin: "

Every right. As long they take no illegal steps, they are well within their rights to help this young man exercise his own legal rights. In fact, it would be wrong to stand by and watch as another citizen is denied their rights.

His parents are undermining his efforts to work with an attorney to develop a proper defense.

I have a question. If he has been charged with a felony as an adult, then he must be out on bail. Are you allowed to leave the State when on bail?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »
no, you are right.  He was not supposed to leave the state, and the court has been notified of this.   I am awaiting a response from the judge/prosecuting office as to what can be done at this time.  It may be out of our jurisdiction now, but I am still hoping something can be done.  This is just one big mess.  I appreciate all of the feedback I am getting, and if nothing else, it is helping me accept that due to his age he may be alright when he gets out.  I do not believe his parents will let us write to him during this stay, so I hope he knows we will be there for him when he turns 18.  All I can do is hope and pray for him, and maybe someone will help us get to him.  And, I already have contacted ISACCORP.ORG, and am wating to hear back from them. Thank you again.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
On 2005-12-03 09:02:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You don't need to worry either, SCL is a wonderful place, I myself graduated from there in 1999 and it truly changed my life."
It must not have changed your life that much, as it's patently obvious you're still on powerful drugs.  More than likely, you're a program troll...

Pay no mind to this fool.  It's a waist of time and energy.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:25:00 PM »
Try writing to him using his parents names and address as the return address on the envelope. On the address write John Doe C/O spring crrek lodge
1342 Blue Slide Road  Thompson Falls Montana 59873-0000

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 04:45:00 PM »
The kid is being charged as an adult with a felony and your concern is for the kid?  What about the victims and the community?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
Yes, he is being charged with a felony - but he was driving a car with four other kids and they found drugs in the car.  It was not just his fault - all four kids are to blame.  He was just driving the car.  Sometimes kids do make big mistakes.  He still does not deserve to be treated this way.  That is my opinion.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 08:52:00 PM »
On 2005-12-04 13:45:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The kid is being charged as an adult with a felony and your concern is for the kid?  What about the victims and the community?  "

And his parents..are they insane>? I think they are trying to do their best,and sending him to SCL may keep him out of prison. SOunds like you do not have all the information.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
Are you telling me that by going to this "school" is going to keep him out of prison??  This is his first offense, and if the case was not dismissed for illegal search, he would have probably gotten probation and some type of fine.  I do know everything about this case, since my daughter was in the car with the other kids.  It could have been her driving her car and she would be in the same situation - but I would never send her off to a place that discourages outside communication.  That is INSANE.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
And it sounds like SCL is no different than prison, except in prison you get visitors!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Spring Creek Lodge
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »
On 2005-12-04 12:25:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Try writing to him using his parents names and address as the return address on the envelope. On the address write John Doe C/O spring crrek lodge

1342 Blue Slide Road  Thompson Falls Montana 59873-0000"

I thought there was some type of secret code that is connected to the return address?  I will try though - thank you.