Author Topic: What MMS therapists? Gary?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
What MMS therapists? Gary?
« on: November 27, 2005, 04:36:00 PM »
Then the therapists, using psychoanalysis, counseled us to help us look deeper into our behaviors and learn how to process the information that began to surface in our conscious memory...Tapping into repressed memories helped us work through some of our feelings, helping us to alter our behaviors as we learned how to manage the new feelings that accompanied the new memories.

http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... /oe04.html

I was just wondering, um...I don't remember anyone using 'psychoanalysis'- who was a therapist at MMS?  I never figured out what Gary Kent (Treatment Director) had that qualified him as a psychoanalyst, although he was kind and certainly seemed to be qualified at least in his non-intimidating way and absence of arrogance- in a way that John (and Mike when he was there) wasn't.  Anyone know what Gary has a dergee in????????????

Other than that- Kristie writes about  'therapists' as if there was more than one person qualified to help us unearth memories- that's of course assuming Gary was which I don't know.  John certainly had a heavy hand in the whole process and he has an ecology degree, Mike did too and I think he was only a rehab counselor.  

One of the many problems I had w/ MMS were this whole 'tapping into repressed memories'- I had real trouble trying to decipher the real from the leading and what I knew would get me John's approval - we all know talking got us brownie points so hoping and being led to think we likely were molested really did a number on ideas of what my own history actually was.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »
Gary was a wonderful man. It is easy to get wrapped in all the bad things and unnecessary reality checks, but... in my opinion... out of all the staff, Gary was a true leader of living a good life. He was caring, honest, and an asset to my "survival" of MMS. Just because you didn't "figure out" what made him a "psychoanalyst" just means (of course in my opinion) that you weren't fortunate enough to see what Gary had to offer women our age and people in general.... I don't mean this as an attack towards you, your opinions, or your character it's just a comment I felt worthy of sharing.

Offline BarnardlyB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
I would have to agree with anon.
Kat you know how I feel.
I think Gary of all of them had alot to offer people, and it was up to us to "get it".
I don't remember having to find repressed memories but I do remember the meditations that were cool. We all got what we could from MMS. SOme got alot from the school and others turned it the negative and got nothing.
ou are you
I am I,
Two individuals dancing on our own two feet, & when were together...its beautiful

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
Gary has a masters decgree and he was a liccensed professional counselor and an addictions counselor. I saw it on an insurance thing my parents had when gary was my therapist.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:47:00 PM »
only a masters, no PhD?