Author Topic: Discouraging parents from considering Hyde School  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Discouraging parents from considering Hyde School
« on: November 06, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »
Several days ago I was chatting with the guidance counselor at the middle school that one of my kids attends (not my Hyde child).  The counselor was talking about how she educates parents and families about boarding school options.  She has a display case with lots of materials from boarding schools throughout the U.S.  The counselor believes in character education.  During the converstation she told me that she has heard so many negative reports about Hyde and its harmful practices that (1) she removed the Hyde material from the display and (2) plans to actively discourage parents from considering Hyde.  The information from this website and other sources is definitely having an impact.  This is but one example. The word about Hyde is getting around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
I have similar information to report.  Our family heard from one of the administrators at our kid's wilderness program.  He told us that the program has been doing a lot of thinking about the most appropriate boarding schools for kids who complete their program (which is one of the very prominent wilderness programs).  He told us that they won't be referring to Hyde because of all of the negative feedback they've received and heard.  The administrator also told us that he plans to share the staff's concerns about Hyde with other wilderness programs.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
On 2005-11-06 10:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I have similar information to report.  Our family heard from one of the administrators at our kid's wilderness program.  He told us that the program has been doing a lot of thinking about the most appropriate boarding schools for kids who complete their program (which is one of the very prominent wilderness programs).  He told us that they won't be referring to Hyde because of all of the negative feedback they've received and heard.  The administrator also told us that he plans to share the staff's concerns about Hyde with other wilderness programs."

The next challenge is to ensure that educational consultants get this sort of feedback.  I've spoken with a number of educational consultants who see right through Hyde's rhetoric.  My sense is that this information is making its way around the educational consultant community.  Parents should be sure to give this feedback to their own educational consultants.