Author Topic: The I and Me/The Summit 2  (Read 13929 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
The I and Me/The Summit 2
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
I think the Summit was however long "They" wanted it to be. I mean a lot of the shit was not necessary (well, all of it was unncessary). But the larger the group the longer it's going to be. One of the Summits I saw was 6 days long! So I guess it just depended on the group and the people running it.

Shelia! Tony Almaris! Fuck both of them. When I was going to NWA "changes" were made. That ment that like some staff left NWA and moved over to BCA, I think Sam Zugg was one of them. A few of the staff at BCA and RMA moved to NWA. Well I had Glenn Sutton as a team leader at NWA, who I thought was the best at the time and now realize he was just as much of a tool as the rest of them, and I was pissed that Sheila was going to be my new team leader. When I was in the "Summit" phase and didn't have to go to raps or anything, Sheila was a total bitch to me. A rule for those in "Summit" at NWA was that they were allowed to make as many phone calls as they wanted whenever they wanted. Well, of course you had to have the approval of the team leader, but it was supposed to be more of a formality than anything else. Not with Sheila. She wouldn't let me call anyone. I had to call colleges to set up interviews and shit and she wouldn't let me do that! I had to call my parents to let them know what was going on with regards to graduation, she wouldn't let me do that. Basically she revoked all the "Summit" privledges because she didn't like me. Even when I graduated, she went up to my mother and said something like "Your son and I don't get along...good-bye!" My mom was pissed! I fucking hated Sheila.

Tony Almaras was a dick too. He had a lisp if I remember correctly. One night at NWA a kid from Phoenix AZ, said Tony smacked him. I doubt it was true but Tony got suspended until the situation could get figured out. I think he eventually went back to RMA because the kids at NWA hated him so much.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2005, 08:05:00 PM »
Wow, they cut off a day. Well I guess they would, since they got rid of the urban challenge. Summit in the 80s was six highly structured days.

What blows me away is the lifespring angle of this. The only part of the summit that wasn't originally lifespring is the costume party. I can't believe that people actually paid good money (hundreds of dollars) to go through this workshop THEMSELVES! And then they went out and recruited other people to go through it! People are STUPID!

and also, Dr. Phil had a four/five day workshop that I saw excerpts from on the Oprah site years ago. The parts that they showed had the red/green game (except that he called it the red/black game) and the "are you a giver or a taker" deal. So he basically took at least some parts of the lifespring workshop and used it, even though lifespring had been debunked years before as a white collar cult. One of the many reasons why I think he's full of shit.

Offline absolutebest

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 12:08:00 AM »
Yeah, Sheila could be a bitch.  I really didn't have a problem with her, but she definitely played favorites.  No doubt.  And sometimes she would just pick on people that she didn't like, if she wanted to.  She was pretty cool to me, though.  I had a big problem with Jon Aaron for awhile, if I remember correctly.  Laura Curos, too.  Treated me like shit when I moved to her team.  Put me on all-school bans and a booth because I was the most "negative in-agreement student ever", which is kind of contradictory, but I guess I did tend to talk shit about the school a lot.  I got in trouble for doing a skit of raps, that apparently went way overboard.  I also got busted for coming up with tons of parody songs about the school (One that really pissed them off was a spin on "Cheers" that everybody took a liking to... "You wanna go where everybody bust your games... and every day is the god damn same..." (forgot the rest, but it really wasn't as big of a deal as they made it).  Basically, they made my life hell because I was cynical and sarcastic.  For three weeks I only could talk to Mike Nailor (the president), Ned Murray (headmaster), Laura and Tony.  I spent all day, every day building a huge rock wall that is most likely still there.  It was bullshit.  I kind of got pulled because of that.

Tony was cool to me most of the time, but he was my team leader from the git-go.  I think he fell apart when he got divorced, at least that is what I heard.  We did butt heads a lot, though.  He didn't have a lisp, he just got loud and spit a lot.  And Tony could be ridiculously "out of touch" sometimes, but I think he meant well.  At least when I was there.  But yeah, I could see him being a prick if he didn't get along with you.

I liked Glen Sutton.  I thought he was a legitimately nice and well-meaning guy.  His wife was pretty solid too.  She was my cross country coach.
[ This Message was edited by: absolutebest on 2005-10-27 21:11 ][ This Message was edited by: absolutebest on 2005-10-27 21:12 ]
dam Best RMA 1994-96 (PG61)

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 05:18:00 AM »
On 2005-10-27 21:08:00, absolutebest wrote:

I spent all day, every day building a huge rock wall that is most likely still there.  It was bullshit.  I kind of got pulled because of that.

Hey! I bet your rock wall replaced MY rock wall from MY full time! Would it by any chance be the one in the main driveway leading up to the house?

Mine was pretty damn sturdy back in the day, and it took me a 14 day full time to build, but I'm sure by the time you were there, it was a mess, if it was still around, even.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2005, 10:37:00 AM »
Propheets and workshops or whatever were bad, but the worst part were those fuckers that would "soft seat" them. Those kids were miserable.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »
what the hell does that mean? "Soft Seat?"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »
Did you guys have students - usually ones in new horizons but sometimes it would be the real ass kissers of challenge - that would co-facilitate propheets? or workshops? By the way I don't know what the phases were at RMA or Running Springs - maybe that's all just a bunch of BCA talk.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2005, 11:31:00 AM »
We had supporters in our Propheets at NWA too. I don't remember what phase you had to be in, but they existed. I supported once in a Childrens propheet. Does anyone rememeber what the phases were. It went Voyager...Challege? New Horizons, Summit? Something like that.

The guy who supported in my Truth Propheet was a real tool. I had just gotten there when I went through my truth. I didn't know what the fuck was going on. Wasn't there a dance at the begining or something? I just remember thinking, "This is kind of weird, but ok. I'll dance" Then when we all "Came Out" everyone was supposed to share. I was like "Fuck that. I don't want to stand up in front of everyone and say something." Someone was like "You have to!" I said "I had a really good time."

A few weeks later I was talking to another student who hadn't gone through it yet and I said it was pretty lame. Somehow word got around that I didn't think it was too cool and boy did I hear about it in a rap. Man! The dude who was supporting in the Propheet got soooo pissed. I guess I learned a lesson not to talk shit about Prohpeets anymore.

Does anyone know what they all were? Truth, Childrens, Dreams, I Want to live?, Values, Imagine, I & ME, and Summit? Is that all of them or am I missing some?

Trying to explain that shit to people on the outside now is so strange. It's only when you try to explain it to people and they look at you like your fuckin' nuts, that's when you realize that what happened there was fuckin' nuts.

Offline dniceo7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2005, 12:45:00 PM »
I don't even bother trying to explain those things to people these days. You got them all except the Brothers. By the end of CEDU's time, the Imagine and I & Me had been combined into one, 2-day workshop, but then they split them again. We had people that supported in those things, but that was a completely different game from soft-seating aka co facilitating.

Supporters were basically just going through the thing again for whatever odd reason. I supported a couple times, but once was to avoid a restriction, and the other was to get into the OSD. You had to do everything that damn script called for right along with the younger peer group going through it. Soft-seaters, however, just made you sick. Instead of sitting on the floor or on one of those plastic chairs for hours at a time with you and the supporters, they were in the nice, comfortable chairs with the staff. Essentially, for however long you were in there, they were staff. They even got the good staff grub. And they'd sit there yelling at you and trying to 'call you out' and get you 'back in agreement' and really just soaking up their chance to be staff for a day.

I can understand why people supported those, but I still want to strangle some of the kids that soft-seated them. People usually got asked to support, and often it was a 'yea you have a choice, but actually you don't' situation. But unless LaTresa or one of the 'big dogs' themselves asked them to do it, it was the ass kissers themselves that went out of their way and begged to soft-seat.  [ This Message was edited by: dniceo7 on 2005-10-28 09:48 ]
I don\'t look at myself in the mirror because I\'m a narcissist, I simply like to watch myself exist...

Offline banana rama

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2005, 12:58:00 PM »
damn, i detest neil diamond.  i dont remember supporting a propheet to be cushy.

yeah, its nearly impossible trying to explain propheets to the non-survivor--so many details.  i have maybe one or two friends who get the jist of it and are utterly sickened by it.  every therapist and psychoanalyst that ive talked in some sort of detail have this look of horror on their faces.

i supported a couple of propheets.  yeah, maybe i was a kiss ass.  then again, maybe i was just a kid trying to survive.  the fact is is that people do different things to make it through however they can.  chrissakes, we were KIDS!!!  KIDS undergoing sensory deprivation, emotional and physical distress, things that adult survivors of synanon have a hard enough time coping with.

how the cedu system misappropiated certain texts, art, philosophies and music (such and transcendentalism--remember the i and me? lennon, etc.) and folded them in with cultish practices such as synanon, etc. for brainwashing children at the hands adults speaks for itself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2005, 01:16:00 PM »
On 2005-10-28 02:18:00, sorry... try another castle wrote:

"

On 2005-10-27 21:08:00, absolutebest wrote:

I spent all day, every day building a huge rock wall that is most likely still there.  It was bullshit.  I kind of got pulled because of that.

Hey! I bet your rock wall replaced MY rock wall from MY full time! Would it by any chance be the one in the main driveway leading up to the house?

Mine was pretty damn sturdy back in the day, and it took me a 14 day full time to build, but I'm sure by the time you were there, it was a mess, if it was still around, even.
"

Yes.  I rebuilt that wall in 1996.  I had to take it down rock by rock and rebuild the wall.  I finished 90% of it then got taken off of my 3 1/2-week booth.  Some other guy finished the wall.  My back still isn't right.  My friend Mike--who I still talk to--had something like an 80-day full-time.  He built half of the shit at RMA.

Offline absolutebest

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2005, 01:19:00 PM »
Did people soft-seat in The Summit?  I remember people doing soft-seating at RMA every so often.  Most were pricks, but one or two of them were cool.  I remember thinking that this one girl--I won't mention ex-student's names--must be the biggest kiss ass on God's green earth.
dam Best RMA 1994-96 (PG61)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
I don't think anyone ever soft-seated a summit during my time. Even the I & Me...I think the last one they would let you soft-seat was the Imagine. Someone soft-seated my Imagine and made it considerably worse than it really had to be.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »
What is soft-seating?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2005, 02:52:00 PM »
It's when you are an "Upperclassmen" student or whatever and you assist with a propheet. It's just doing it all over again but supposedly you're supposed to be helping the staff out and the other students. It's wasn't supposed to be like going through the whole thing again, but it usually ended up being just like the first time you did. We didn't call it "Soft Seating" at NWA, we called it Supporting.

The one that I did was basically like the first time except that they didn't focus so much on me as they did the other students. But it was totally gay. And while you sort of voulnteered to do it, the staff had a great influence. It was just the illusion of choice. They would suggest it to you and if you chose not to do it, negative consequences would follow. Totally lame.