Author Topic: Seed Psychology  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2005, 10:46:00 AM »
okay, you go ahead and believe that god creates people and then throws them in a lake of fire for all of eternity because he gave them free will to choose him, yet he knows in advance they won't, yet they still can choose this if they want, yet he knew before they were born they wouldn't, yet they can choose them if they will only believe, yet it was known before they were born they wouldn't  and therefore predetermined, that god hates sin yet is the creator of all, including sin. That a band of other gods that we call angels pulled a coup in heaven and left the place and will one day be beaten down by the forces of heaven,  That god placed the "pillars of the earth" up, that a race of magical giants once upon a time roamed the earth because the angels had sex with women, that god sent bears to kill children who dared to taunt one of his prophets because he was bald.  That during revelation an angel will be placed in the four corners of the world, Ad nausem rediculous impossible logic and magical stories all contained within the bible, which is proclaimed by the believers as "scientifically and historically accurate".

As we slowly descend down the spiral of absurdity, people realize that their beliefs aren't compatible with current knowledge. Oh sure, they fight it, just as people were killed by the early church for believing the earth was flat or that the earth really wasn't the center of the universe, or for example  why during the reformation when people questioned the interpretation of the bible they were killed, and why currently the christians are inventing competing "science" and waging a war against scientific knowledge to squelch the voice of those who know the earth isn't 6000 years old. In spite of these efforts by believers in the supernatural, eventually knowledge replaces belief and the old gods die out and new beliefs more compatable with known knowledge replace them.

This is why the god myths of old went by the wayside and why the current gods will one day go into mythological storybooks as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2005, 11:54:00 AM »
I'm not so sure that we will progress from fairy tales to rationality. It seems that we have left the Enlightnment and the Age of Reason behind and are returning to magic, mystery and irrationality. People believe in angels, fate, creationism and destiny and other forms of 'magical thinking'...

We on the left do this just as much as those on the right, but we beat drums and call ourselves pagans while they go to mega churches and call themselves 'born again.' We just have different stories we tell ourselves but it is equally dangerous is my conclusion to abandon reason for this stuff, fun as it may be.[ This Message was edited by: cleveland on 2005-11-01 08:54 ]
ally Gator

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »
you beat drums and call yourself a Pagan?

I think if you look at the world 2000 years ago and then now, we have made tremendous progress towards reason. However, individuals will always duck into religion because it explains the unexplainable, our mortality and death.  It in essence gives you a free ticket to immortality, at least in your mind.

As far as the christians being right wing, it is only because that is currently where they are getting their political support.

Offline AtomicAnt

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »
On 2005-11-01 07:46:00, Anonymous wrote:

This is why the god myths of old went by the wayside and why the current gods will one day go into mythological storybooks as well."

I love these discussions, so I can't help butting in.

I doubt religion will go away anytime soon. Too many people believe in them and they cannot be swayed.

Meantime, science, in a sense, is also a faith. It depends on some unproven hypotheses. For example; The world exists in a state of order and humans can understand at least part of that order.

Another is Occam's Razor. When Copernicus came up with his view of the solar system, his new system was less accurate than the old Ptolmeic system. This was because he used circular, not elliptical, orbits. When asked how he knew he was right with a less accurate system, his response was, "Because God would create the Universe in the simplest, most harmonic, manner."

Then, of course, there is always Max Stirner who pointed out that once God is removed, any higher values one holds above oneself become arbitrary. The concept of 'legitimate authority' cannot stand. Even Democracy tumbles; "A slave to the majority is still a slave."

Jefferson justified (and legitimized) the Revolutionary war by proclaiming that God gave Men 'unalienable rights.' Not even the King can take these away. Thus the foundation of the United States as a legitimate country rests on a religious assertion.

Those that believe in God are not necessarily idiots. In Europe, for instance, there is no raging debate between evolution and creationism. They seem to be able to see it both ways without an issue. I once had a philosophy professor who stated that science and faith had nothing to do with each other. He also stated that when Christianity became an institution, it ceased to be a religion. I never figured out what that meant. All I know is that the guy was a biblical scholar and a leading phenomenologist. He held degrees in physics as well.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2005, 10:36:00 PM »
Science is not faith, no matter what the religious propaganda machine would have you believe.

there are simple but fundamental differences between faith and science that makes the two incompatible.

Faith starts with a conclusion and rejects all new information that tends to disprove it. It relies on dogma and belief.

Science never deals in absolutes (which is why all science if framed in theories)but instead relies on emperical data and evidence, is subject to peer review and accepts change with new information. As such science  is self-refuting.

Thus, "creation science" is a misnomer, the draq queen of science, faith all dressed up as science.

creation science, intelligent design, christian science...all of them belong in theology or philosophy class, not science class.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Seed Psychology
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
On 2005-11-01 17:07:00, AtomicAnt wrote:

Jefferson justified (and legitimized) the Revolutionary war by proclaiming that God gave Men 'unalienable rights.' Not even the King can take these away. Thus the foundation of the United States as a legitimate country rests on a religious assertion.

You, Mr. Ant, while seemingly well intentioned, are just misinformed. There was an ideological war fought in this country where the christians did indeed TRY to insert their religion into the early documents of the country, but due to great american heroes such as Jefferson and Adams, they failed. They failed because of the history of the christian church and government in England and early america was oppressive and violent, and the framers of our country had great insight and forethought and excluded them from screwing the goose, so to speak.

The foundation of the United states was NOT on a foundation of religiosity. The inverse, the founders of the democracy were trying to purge the scourge of religous bigotry from government, a wild and radical idea not only for its time, but for our time as well.

Don't even get me started on Mr. Jefferson, the true founder of this great country.

Crap........ too late.  here is how he really felt about religion and government.

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity."

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

If we did a good act merely from love of God and a belief that it is pleasing to Him, whence arises the morality of the Atheist? ...Their virtue, then, must have had some other foundation than the love of God.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Thomas Law, June 13, 1814

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

And let us reflect that, having banished from our land that religious intolerance under which mankind so long bled and suffered, we have yet gained little if we countenance a political intolerance as despotic, as wicked, and capable of as bitter and bloody persecutions.... error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.... I deem the essential principles of our government.... Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; ... freedom of religion, freedom of the press, and freedom of person under the protection of the habeas corpus, and trial by juries impartially selected.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

----------------------

And Sir,  to cut to the heart of your assertion that the foundation of the government according to Jefferson was religious in nature...

The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object.

Thomas Jefferson

[Our] principles [are] founded on the immovable basis of equal right and reason.
-- Thomas Jefferson, to James Sullivan, 1797. ME 9:379

The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
-- Thomas Jefferson