Author Topic: Hyde School alumni family speaks out  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Hyde School alumni family speaks out
« on: October 15, 2005, 12:03:00 PM »
I just learned about this website from another former Hyde School family (I guess the word is beginning to spread about this website).  I've read many of the critical comments about Hyde and am amazed at how similar our family's experience was.  I now know that many others feel about Hyde the way our family does -- unfortunately we didn't know it when we were at the school (apparently unhappy families tend to be rather quiet about their distress -- they're afraid of how Hyde would respond to them and their kid).

I have little to add to the many accurate comments about the problems at Hyde.  Sure, we saw some kids do pretty well there.  But we saw many more who had a terrible experience.  And that's just the students.  Since we've been away from Hyde we've also heard horror stories from parents who are very hurt and angry about the way they were treated by some of the administrators and even alumni parents (in FLC's).  

I now realize, more than I did when we were at the school years ago, that Hyde really does have some cult qualities.  I remember standing outside one of the buildings during the Summer Challenge weekend when parents participate.  I'll never forget overhearing a conversation between two Hyde staff members and a father/daughter who had decided to go to another school in the fall rather than enroll at Hyde (I was sitting on a nearby bench and could easily hear the heated conversation).  The father had talked in seminar about how Hyde didn't seem to have the right resources and approach to his daughter's rather significant mental health problems.  I was shocked by the Hyde staff members' forceful attempts to change the father's and daughter's minds.  I felt like I was watching a brainwashing, high-pressure session.  I think the staff were trying to "guilt trip" the two -- If you don't enroll at Hyde you're running away from your problems, you're not willing to face your struggles, this is where you need to be, your daughter has an attitude problem and is simply manipulating you, etc. etc.  I should have realized at the time that this was typical Hyde talk.  Now that I think back on it, and think about many other brainwashing conversations I experienced, it almost seems like a Jim Jones environment -- I'm your leader, you need what I have to offer, this will be good for    you, don't defy me, just follow me.  It's scary.

I'll also never forget my conversation with another parent after an FLC seminar.  The parent came over to me and said, basically, "Listen, I know you're new at this.  You seem like a real nice person who really cares about your kid.  I started out just like you.  I quickly learned that at Hyde you get eaten alive if you don't bare your soul and talk in depth about your own struggles.  You need to learn how to play the game here, or you'll have a miserable experience.  Many of us have learned the right "buzz" words to get people off our backs.  Joe Gauld has created a culture that has trickled down through every level of the school.  There's a Hyde script you need to learn to survive.  

Since we've left Hyde we've either talked with, or learned about, former Hyde students who have been struggling big time with mental health issues that weren't addressed at Hyde.  I now know of kids who have been cutting themselves since leaving Hyde, abusing drugs, contemplating suicide, and so on.  In some of these cases the parents are enraged that Hyde didn't have anyone on staff to deal with these issues and wasn't willing to acknowledge them.  These parents feel like the kids' current problems are partly the result of the Hyde model -- they now wish they had looked for a school that was willing to really pay attention to their kids' needs.  Part of the problem is that Hyde is so big that the school doesn't individualize their approach, the way many other schools do.  It's very easy at Hyde for kids to get lost in the crowd (despite what the school's PR materials say).  I now suspect that Hyde is so concerned about enrollments, in order to pay the bills, that they admit as many "bodies" as possible without really focusing on each individual students' unique needs.  This cookie-cutter approach is terrible for many kids and families.

Hindsight is 20-20, of course; it's too bad that so many of us didn't understand what we were getting into.  I hope other parents who are considering Hyde learn from our mistakes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2005, 12:07:00 PM »
Thank you for posting these valuable insights.  Good luck.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2005, 01:35:00 PM »
On 2005-10-15 09:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I now realize, more than I did when we were at the school years ago, that Hyde really does have some cult qualities.  I remember standing outside one of the buildings during the Summer Challenge weekend when parents participate.  I'll never forget overhearing a conversation between two Hyde staff members and a father/daughter who had decided to go to another school in the fall rather than enroll at Hyde (I was sitting on a nearby bench and could easily hear the heated conversation).  The father had talked in seminar about how Hyde didn't seem to have the right resources and approach to his daughter's rather significant mental health problems.  I was shocked by the Hyde staff members' forceful attempts to change the father's and daughter's minds.  I felt like I was watching a brainwashing, high-pressure session.  I think the staff were trying to "guilt trip" the two -- If you don't enroll at Hyde you're running away from your problems, you're not willing to face your struggles, this is where you need to be, your daughter has an attitude problem and is simply manipulating you, etc. etc.  I should have realized at the time that this was typical Hyde talk.  Now that I think back on it, and think about many other brainwashing conversations I experienced, it almost seems like a Jim Jones environment -- I'm your leader, you need what I have to offer, this will be good for    you, don't defy me, just follow me.  It's scary.

I remember well the big meeting at the end of
Summer School (as it was called in '76). Parents
and kids in seperate sections in the dining hall
which was also an auditorium in the Bath Student
Union. Each kid was called upon to say publicly
how much he or she wanted to stay for the regular
year. It was like a revival meeting.
Anyway, one guy, when he was called upon, said he
was sick of Hyde and had no intention of staying.
They then called on his mother who, in front of
the whole freshman class, told this kid that she
was going to make his life unmitigated hell. Seems
that she had drunk Joe's kool-aid even if her kid
didn't. No one else (including me) had the stones
to say that they didn't want to stay after that.

Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
--Isaac Asimov, Russian-born American author

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »
On 2005-10-15 10:35:00, tommyfromhyde1 wrote:

"

On 2005-10-15 09:03:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I now realize, more than I did when we were at the school years ago, that Hyde really does have some cult qualities.  I remember standing outside one of the buildings during the Summer Challenge weekend when parents participate.  I'll never forget overhearing a conversation between two Hyde staff members and a father/daughter who had decided to go to another school in the fall rather than enroll at Hyde (I was sitting on a nearby bench and could easily hear the heated conversation).  The father had talked in seminar about how Hyde didn't seem to have the right resources and approach to his daughter's rather significant mental health problems.  I was shocked by the Hyde staff members' forceful attempts to change the father's and daughter's minds.  I felt like I was watching a brainwashing, high-pressure session.  I think the staff were trying to "guilt trip" the two -- If you don't enroll at Hyde you're running away from your problems, you're not willing to face your struggles, this is where you need to be, your daughter has an attitude problem and is simply manipulating you, etc. etc.  I should have realized at the time that this was typical Hyde talk.  Now that I think back on it, and think about many other brainwashing conversations I experienced, it almost seems like a Jim Jones environment -- I'm your leader, you need what I have to offer, this will be good for    you, don't defy me, just follow me.  It's scary.

I remember well the big meeting at the end of

Summer School (as it was called in '76). Parents

and kids in seperate sections in the dining hall

which was also an auditorium in the Bath Student

Union. Each kid was called upon to say publicly

how much he or she wanted to stay for the regular

year. It was like a revival meeting.

Anyway, one guy, when he was called upon, said he

was sick of Hyde and had no intention of staying.

They then called on his mother who, in front of

the whole freshman class, told this kid that she

was going to make his life unmitigated hell. Seems

that she had drunk Joe's kool-aid even if her kid

didn't. No one else (including me) had the stones

to say that they didn't want to stay after that.

Creationists make it sound like a 'theory' is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
--Isaac Asimov, Russian-born American author

"

Like you, I've had a very uneasy feeling about Hyde, and it's gotten worse over the years as my understanding of Hyde's culture has developed.  Now that I've been away from Hyde for quite some time I have a much clearer perspective.  Over the years I've sat in many large meetings at Hyde of the sort you describe (where students and parents are expected to stand and speak Hyde's praises).  It took me some time for my family and me to figure out that Hyde functions much like a combined version of a fundamentalist revival meeting and 12-step meeting.  This doesn't surprise me, now that I understand how many people affiliated with Hyde are in recovery of some sort.  I wish I had understood how terrible this approach is for so many Hyde families - people who are very vulnerable and found their way to Hyde in a hurry while in the middle of a crisis.

Offline Troll Control

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 03:04:00 PM »
What you have described is the typical Modus Operandi of cults.  They prey on the weak when they are most vulnerable and indoctrinate them into a belief system that holds "Only we (Hyde or whatever other cult) care about you and only we can help you.  Without us, you will surely die (or go insane or end up in jail)..."

Anyone who tries to SELL hope should be viewed with a wary eye.
The Linchpin Link

Whooter - The Most Prolific Troll Fornits Has Ever Seen - The Definitive Links
**********************************************************************************************************
"Looks like a nasty aspentrolius sticci whooterensis infestation you got there, Ms. Fornits.  I\'ll get right to work."

- Troll Control

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 06:05:00 PM »
Yes, true that they prey on the weak and also on the desperate!!  You are dealing with a VERY DANGEROUS place when they cannot give you proper credentials of ANYONE who is working there.  

When the facilitator of a group seminar is someone who just got out of Hyde, or a parent who uses Hyde as a crutch because they themselves are messed up, then be very careful!!  Danger, danger, danger, when there are no skilled staff with proper training to deal with struggling teens!  I can't stress to all of you how dangerous and destructive this is!  Hyde is a TIME BOMB!!