Author Topic: my friend was in the seed, and now he is dead, thread.  (Read 12944 times)

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
my friend was in the seed, and now he is dead, thread.
« on: October 06, 2005, 06:20:00 PM »
This thread is to honor our friends that were in the seed and have since passed, for any reason.  Please list the name,seed status, cause of death, and time frame.

I will start.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
Dave Leverone, Seed graduate.entered in 1973, graduated in 1974

Died of an injected drug overdose, approximately 1979.

RIP my friend!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »
Robin Rollin was a friend of my brothers. Don't know whether he graduated or not. Just know he's gone now.

The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the Prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this.
--Albert Einstein, My First Impression of the U.S.A., 1921

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
Bennett Beverly, seed graduate 1974

Committed suicide,date unknown by me reportedly jumped off the skyway bridge

RIP my friend.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »
Chris Kelly, Seed Graduate 1974

Motorcycle accident, approx 1978

RIP my friend!

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 09:30:00 PM »
"Please list the name,seed status, cause of death, and time frame."

and big brother to one of my oldest friends,
Paul McCutcheon, 1973 Seed graduate, overdose, 1977. Preceding his wife by two days, also overdose. What a senseless waste, a shame and he will never know how much and by how many people he is missed... We still love you Macky
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »
John Grimm
Cleveland Mid 70's
Died Saturday cause of death unknown
The Grimmer will be missed

Offline jgar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »
Wow this is a shocker, John came back to the Seed for about a year in the mid 80's along with his wife Beth and baby son little John.
 John lived with me or in the house I was living at for about 3 or 4 months. He had is problems but was basically a very nice guy.

Sorry to hear this cause I always like him and thought he was a nice man.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 09:03:00 AM »
John was my oldcommer when I arrived at the Seed. I was 24 and found very little to enjoy or celebrate in life. His overwhelming good spirit and boundless affection saved my life. I can't tell you how many times I have thought about him over the years. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
"Scooter Young" Brother of Roger and Marnie Young.

Seedling 1973/1974, graduate I believe.  My buddy from Porto Cadiz apartments when I was 13

Died in a car accident in his mid twenties.

RIP my friend.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 09:57:00 AM »
I am sad to hear about John Grimm. Here's my memories:

John coming to visit me at the little house on Clague road when I was a newcomer in Cleveland. He drove a little Triumph Spitfire and always brought his own 6-pack of Diet Coke (most of my oldcomers where giant guys, in the Cleveland tradition). He always had a big, friendly grin. I think he worked as a welder. Later I remember him coming to Florida with his wife and child. I am sad to say, I kept my distance, because of the weirdness of a Seed guy with a wife and child, and because (you could always tell) he seemed to be on 'Seed probation' for some reason.

I remember he and his wife and baby having their own separate area at the beach when we played football on the weekends, because they didn't fit into either 'guys' or 'chicks.' Weird to think of that.

Oh well, he was a sweet-natured guy and I wish the best for his family.
ally Gator

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
I remember John G. as being one of the volunteer staff members in Cleveland when I came in.
My memory of John Grimm involves when he came back to the Seed and went on the program again in Ft Lauderdale, early 80's right? After sometime he went back to work 2nd shift as a welder at one of the docks in Ft. Lauderdale.
My job was to pick him up in the morning about 8 or so when he got off work and drive him back to his apartment where he lived with his wife & son. I don't know why he wasn't driving himself, but that was what i was told to do.
This went on for a few weeks. One day I picked him up as usual, he said he was very tired and layed back in my car seats. I had a '63 Olds, with the bucket seats went far back.
He sort of seemed to be sleeping and then all of a sudden he said he needed to stop at a gas station to use the bathroom. I obliged and when he came out he got in the car and said he was going to nap.

I dropped him off and thought nothing of it and went back to the Seed.
Sometime later, Bob W, came and got me off the door and asked what John and I had been doing? I said nothing, he gave me the "Seed stare" and I verbally repeated what had occurred.
Bob said John's wife called the Seed and said that John had came in high on heroin. I was like "wow" I didn't know. Later, I was told he admitted to staff that he had shot up at the gas station. But, because all I had ever seen prior to coming to the Seed was pot smoking, I didn't know the signs.

I guess he started over and I never was asked to pick him up again. But, For the rest of my time down there I avoided him, partially  mad at him about that, because I myself was always on Seed probation. And it took some convincing on my part to get them to not put me on the front row as well.:smile:
But, obviously the guy was trying to do change his life, otherwise why would he have gone back down there.

He waas one of the good guys.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
John was a bear of a man with heart to match his size. He came to the back in the mid 80's because he had started to use drugs again and wanted to go for a second round to kick the habit.

When John first came back he was sent to live in the guy?s house that I used to live in and John was the second new comer to come in on the program to live where I was at. It must have been around early 1984 and I was still on the program when this took place.

John always had a smile or laughing and was very happy to be back, it always seamed to me that he tried very hard to carry his load but always seamed to very self conscience how he was viewed by the long timers and how he thought he was perceived (as a fuck-up). Thru-out the years I noticed that about a lot of the people who had come back to the Seed for a second time. It was very common and evident how people struggled to convince themselves that their words were true, due to the fact that they felt they had failed with their past attempt at staying straight.  

At this time I was going thru my issues and perceived him as a friend, fellow Seed kid, rival and a bunch of other conflicting emotions. I can remember him relating in the group once on what seamed to me an endless talk about himself, and as I listened the more bored and frustrated I got until Bob W. notice and gave me a stern stare from the rap leaders stool. In time I remember this incident and took it as a testament to my own immaturity and selfishness.  

After a couple of months his wife Beth moved down to live with the Seed girls bringing with her John their baby son who was about 2 years old at the time. After a short period of time John was allowed to move in with Beth and little John in an apartment in which they could restart their lives anew down in South Florida.

During this time I lost some of the closeness I had with him as (I thought) he concentrated on his family and mending that relationship.This lead to a very strange and volatile confrontation on the beach late one afternoon. As it turned out Beth had become pregnant during this time and I guess had gone to Libby and confided this information to her. Libby told Art about this situation and Beth and John were told that due to their financial situation the best decision would be for Beth to get an abortion. Beth and John disagreed with this and Libby went ballistic turning this into a big confrontation at the beach in front of the whole group. John and Beth along with little John walked away never to be seen of heard of again. As they walked away Libby informed the group what a couple of assholes they were for not listening, never for once thinking about the magnitude of such a decision would leave on someone for the rest of their lives.  

The incident left such an impression on me and for the first time (while I was at the Seed) leaving me with a moral dilemma and I must admit I secretly sided with John and Beth.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2005, 03:41:00 PM »
A bear was a good discription.  Quite a lovable one at that.  I have not seen him in years.  But just thinking of him puts a smile on my face.  He will be missed.

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 03:52:00 PM »
Does anyone know what city he lived in?