Author Topic: my friend was in the seed, and now he is dead, thread.  (Read 12962 times)

Offline JaLong

• View Profile
my friend was in the seed, and now he is dead, thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:00 AM »
There is also Mary Chapin, St.Pete seed grad, died flipping her car over and off the interstate. Alcohol involved. 1999

Dan Hubble died 1976 from self-inflicted gunshot to head. 1976

Bill Kennedy- ,  1974- St.Pete seed grad.     died 1976 form Hodgkins Disease

All were in the St.Pete seed 73, and graduated.

May they and others RIP.
Julie
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 11:40:00 AM »
Julie, I reformatted your post a little.

I remember those people.

Thanks for the post.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
I can't remember the names of the people I met at the cleveland seed 76-77. I didn't make friends in the way many of you seemed to have.  While I was in the program I believed that I loved everyone there but I didn't trust anyone; I was always, always on guard.  It still amazes me when I read that some of you actually joked with other seedlings.  The only laughter I shared was a sort of hysterical release to staff approved jokes.  After I graduated there were only a couple of grads I trusted- after all I could always be sent back.  We hung out together, none of us ever went to raps but we didn't socialize with any outsiders. We made up for not going into raps by constantly scrutinizing and correcting each other.  One night several of us ran into another graduate.  An older guys in his twenties named(we were all in our teens), I think, Gary?
My friends, being guys(I am a girl or shall we say chick)knew him better.  We all sat and talked a long while at an ice cream parlor in Shaker Heights and when he left we talked about how clear and honest he was.  Each of us said our meeting with him had made us aware of some flaw we were developing like getting our heads out of wak.  We all went home swearing to do better.
The next day he was on the front page of the paper for robbing a bank.
Don't know what happened to him after that, maybe someones else out there does.

I only remember one graduate who died and again I don't remember his name.  I remember he had a brother in the program too.  They were very close in age.  He electricuted himself in a power station.  I don't remember if anyone knew if it was accidental or suicide.  I remember my mother saying that she had been told he was all screwed up again but you never knew with my mother.  She lied especially when she thinks it will serve her--like scaring her daughter into staying well behaved.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 11:43:00 PM »
This just makes me think of houw you really can't talk to someone for a few minutes and know what is inside of them, in their heart. It takes time to get to know people, and ultimately, they know who they are best. This whole idea runs contrary to what went on in places like the Seed where they acted like they could tell who was honest and who wasn't.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 08:35:00 AM »
Cherie Farber - in the Seed 1974 - married, mom of young two sons, died in her late 30s in the late 90's, cause of death unknown.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
To this day as an adult in my mid-40s, two of the biggest funerals I have ever attended were the funerals of Dan Hubbell and Bill Kennedy.  An amazing out pouring of love for both.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
I hope the anon from Cleveland 76-77 will choose a user name and post some more. I was Cleveland Seed 78, so I would share your memories.

It was a beautiful old Catholic orphanage, I think. Remember the statues of saints in the reception area, surrounded by ivy? Very surreal.

W

Oh, and just so I don't hijack this thread let me add Ray K. to the list of post-Seed death rembrances. I lived with him when he started an affair with another former staff member, which caused a whole lot a shit. I understand that he has died; I saw that posted elsewhere on this site.
ally Gator

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 02:02:00 PM »
Ray did pass away of some illness a few years ago.

Offline ChrisL

• View Profile
    • http://chrislewiscpa.com
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »
Billy was 2 years ahead of me at Holy Name school in Gulfport & he was always looked up to as a leader, of course at that time it was a leader of juvenile delinquents. I remember he was quick witted and sharp tongued and of course being a 6th grader when he was an 8th grader in much awe of his grade school "power & might".

I did not even realize he was in the Seed until after I had graduated myself and saw him one evening at the movie theatre at tyrone mall and we had a chance to talk, and then it seemed almost as fast he was gone. At that time Hodgkins Lymphoma did not have the incredibly high cure rate that it has now...

Dan was in the "downtown" group of old-timers that Robin and others have talked about, the guys (many staff grads like Mike & Bob R**** & Dana D******) were a part of this group that rented the house down by Bayfront medical center. I remember Dan as such a kind, and gentle person who had such a great sense of humor and loved to have fun, I heard he had moved to Lauderdale to be on staff at the Seed there and then it seemed not long after that the tragic news of his death shocked those of us in St Pete who had known & loved Dan. I have talked with many other Seedlings and there are still questions and different opinions as to what happened. All I knew is that both of these great guys were gone, too fast and too soon before their time...

They are still missed...
hris Lewis
Seed 1973 -1975
AA 1991 -

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
So, Dan Hubbell was on Staff when he shot himself in the head?

Also, does anyone know the name of the kid that shot himself in 1973 before group?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 12:54:00 PM »
I am not really anon. I had a name but I was gone for a bit and now it seems not to work.

Yeah, the building was amazing.  I remember when my parents first brought me in I thought I was going to some sort of convent school, which confused me because my parents are reformed catholics.  They always said they left the catholic church so their children wouldn't be terrozed like they had been as kids so when we were climbing the steps I thought, "I've really done it now they're throwing me to the nuns."  
Did you have your intake in the one of the catacomb of electic blue rooms downstairs?  I think they must have been the old bedrooms or something. I was in the program for nine months and never saw all the rooms in that huge place.  I am sure you saw more since you were in the inner circle.
I was in the please don't notice me and graduate me quickly circle.

The person I most likely think we could both  have known was Charlie Gilbert cause he was in the program when it closed.  I knew his brother, Norman better.  Charlie was one of those kids who didn't have a drug problem but came in the program because his brother had gone through it.
The only woman I remember almost trusting was named Diane.  She became staff while I was in the program so I assume she was around when you were there too.

but as you said I don't want to derail this thread too much.  Shall we start a cleveland one?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 09:39:00 PM »
I remember he died on the beach, just don't know which one.  I remember something about a camera, a wallet, and being shot behind the left ear.  Hard to imagine how one could commit suicide that way.

Offline JaLong

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »
I just remembered Steve Cason. He was a graduate of St.Pete seed in 1973/4.
Passed away about 5 yrs ago or longer from a massive heart attack.

See ya in Heaven Steve! Love you,
Julie

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 11:06:00 AM »
Steve was a friend of mine in middle school and also in the seed. He was a big cool guy.  

RIP Steve!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 11:07:00 AM »
While I never knew her, Someone needs to post Suzie Barker.  Suzie came after I disassociated with the seed.

RIP Suzie.