Author Topic: Why Did YOU Stay Away?  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« on: September 22, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »
For all those who seem inflamed by the word "cult" associated with the group, I have one (or two) questions:

Once you decided to leave (for whatever reasons), why did most of you stay far away, without even a phone call to your "friends" for such a long time? Why didn't you drop by for a rap every once in a while or call one of the staff or long time grads (who were closely connected to the seed) for dinner some night?

Something tells me that you knew better and in your mind your were thinkin', "I'll just stay the f____ away, for a long, long time." Or was it that the "unusual closeness" was somewhat disturing to someone who had left and might comback to find himself on the front row, once again. "Gee, I was just droppin' by to say, hi you guys! I certainly don't deserve this much attention, again." But all of this is my intial gut feeling.

I'm sincerely curious, why YOU stayed away. Come on reach deep down inside, be honest and answer why, especially if you so deeply supported the group.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »
In 1985 when staff told me I had to park my '63 olds and get rides into the Seed everyday because I didn't have the money for car insurance or gas, because I was one of the guys told to come in everyday.
I knew I had to leave.
While I watched others work and have the things I wanted, the important things, like a job with health insurance/a sense of gaining in this world.
 In my mind then after 3 yrs of working to achieve what i saw others take for granted, Freedom, I finally realized I wasn't the "cream of the crop" and I told Bob W. as much. I had made a mistake coming down here.

I left the next day after my 45 second converstion with Lybbi.
Bob told me to call in a couple of days. So, I called from Kentucky on my way back to OH. I believe Bob W. was as surprised to be talking to me that day as I was to him. I hung up the phone and realized I would never have anything to do with the Seed again.
That moment the people I believed were my friends/family for 7 yrs, I knew I would never know anymore.
It was fuzzy at first than it became clearer everday. I never had friends at the Seed, just conditional acquaintances.

The day I arrived back home my brother was waiting to meet me and my life's journey was finally to begin.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 12:21:00 AM »
bob w. was still there in 1985?
do you, or anyone here know how long he stayed there?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 12:27:00 AM »
well, I was ostracized and not spoken to by the seedlings because I graduated and decided that I wanted to be a normal kid, so I started talking to the "jocks" the "druggies" and all the other kids in my school. This caused the faithfull to see me as the enemy.

Offline Napolean Bonafart

• View Profile
    • http://electriclarryland.spaces.live.com/lists/
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 02:21:00 AM »
That's why I'm glad to be rid of the whole bunch of robots. The only people I [aid attention to was staff during raps. I hardly ever had anything to add to the rap sessions. Myfirst old-Timer meeting was worse so just stayed gone and ent on with my life.

Being sleepy can impair someone's ability to do thier job.  People
can sleep at home and come to the job with sleepiness still in their system. The sleepiness can still be there long after the employee has slept. When someone is found to be sleepy on the job, they can claim that they went to sleep the night before.  The only solution to this problem is to ban employees from sleeping.

--Arthur Slabosky

quot;Thank you peanut gallery\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »
Bob W was there to the end.  He now resides in KY.

Offline 80's Guy

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 11:37:00 AM »
wtaylorg, it's great to hear you are doing well.

As I posted once before, you and I spent several days distributing flyers in the early 80's. Also, paraphrasing Cleveland, if there was anything real about my experience, it was getting to know people like you there, who in my book were more authentic than 99% of the others.

All I can say is, you missed nothing original all the years to follow '85, to the very end.
A few of us weathered the storm and decided to be unpopular, while we made decisions that went against "staff" simply because they continued to promote the old party line that a real education was "bullshit," unless you had a "calling" like certain members that seemed to come from a line of doctors or lawyers. Or better yet, according to the top dog, "if you had that unmistakable aura of a politician or some other high ranking member of society, then you should go to school, just don't forget who made you.? IMO so much of it was about imaginary "blue blood lineage.". . . if you know what I mean.  

About the only element of goodness I have remaining from all those years are certain positive points in my life, which I do attribute to the experience, regardless of human flaws, great or small. However, I have had to work hard, and continue to, trying to shed the hardened, competitive, paranoid, insecure, stressed-out edge that environment so effectively promoted. I, despite the strong opinions of many individuals who post, do not hate or resent anyone there, but I do feel sorry for them because despite (as anon wrote above the "unusual closeness") almost all of my "friends" there hardly knew people like you or me at all. I hate to quote popular culture, but when it came to the relationship between that group and me, I am reminded of Madonna's song "Nobody Knows Me." The same is true for me not knowing them.

I would like to believe that if they had really listened to what they were preaching things would have ended radically different, but many of the ones preaching had tremendous egos, so what can we expect, right? The worst for me was feeling the loss of friends at the very end. Without getting too overdramatic, I spent several nights in tears wondering if the emptiness I had been left with would ever go away. I can forgive, but am aware that those in power knew that their selfish decisions would unravel a wave of pain for so many of my friends who were so blind to manipulation and deceit on the part of the leadership. It took me at least one year to start seeing the "clear as day writing on the wall." But it was beautiful to wake up one morning and feel really free. The irony is of course that I thank all the ones who brought it all down because they did us one hellofa lifetime favor. Thank You wherever you all ran to. Obviously, I do not believe my version is the absolute Truth, but the funny part is that it no longer has to be for me to be free.

I know of one case that, IMO, couldn't live without the "falsely imposed structure" and threw himself in what I would consider a religious cult, within one year of the experience. I, on the other hand, have not gotten over an uneasiness with being a part of any group.

For you it was leaving that lifted the fog. For me it took witnessing the final days, when all the key players had had enough time to settle in to a comfortable place, where they could really start playing games with peoples' lives and loyalties. The myth died for me when not soon after that, I realized I never really wanted to be there or even wanted to ever know most of those people. They were very different than who I was and how I wanted to live my life. Perhaps, like you, I should have had the guts to walk away a long time ago, but. . .no regrets at this point, just working on a new place I can call my own.

I have decided, in fact, that except for one or two people that were always transparent about their lives and did not try to manipulate me or the way I looked at them, I want very little to do with the people I knew from that era. Actually, for the first time I really am applying the saying, which they taught me: "We are not really good for each other, so you go along your way, and I will find the road to where I want to be . . ."  Best Wishes and Good Luck On Your Journey.
 ::rainbow:: [ This Message was edited by: 80's Guy on 2005-09-23 08:48 ][ This Message was edited by: 80's Guy on 2005-09-23 09:06 ]

Offline wtaylorg

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 12:15:00 PM »
Check your private messages.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005, 12:56:00 PM »
I stayed away because...hmmm...my mind was so bent from that place (belieiving I was just worhtless and full of shit) I allowed myself to be sucked into yet another cult - a christian church.  I felt so badly about who I was after the seed experience I was just ripe for yet another cult.  Which, incidentally, once I demonstrated some form of original thought and question, I was asked to leave.  

From what I read here, original thought was also grounds for people to be asked to leave the seed

Don't get me wrong here.  There are all kinds churches that abuse members under the guise of god's love and they are just as strong in their ability to weaken and demean a person as the seed was.

Do I regret the double experience? No.  I learned from both places. I learned about truth and the total manipulation of truth. I learned about love and the total manipualtion of love.  Faith and trust - same thing.    

I would venture to guess that had I shown up on the seed door step in 1975 after getting kicked out of that particular evangelical chrisitian church, I would have likely been started-over.

Trust the seed?  Never.  Not then and not now.
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

Handlebar yep I think you would look much better with a handlebar mustashe. :grin:

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 02:53:00 AM »
Why did you stay away Ft Lauderdale? Damn its hard to keep you on topic...

Offline Thom

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 03:37:00 AM »
Greg, First off, congrats on post #2000! I don't know if you win a prize, or anything. Ask Ging. I would like to address the 'why did YOU stay away' question.

At some point after I graduated the second time, I decided I was different from the rest of the group, and it was OK for me to drink a beer or 12 from time to time. I continued going to meetings for a while, and nobody 'busted' me, but I soon felt like I didn't have much in common with the group anymore. I no longer had the honesty edge, and didn't feel I fit in. I had a secret, and it just got too uncomfortable for me to sit there and play 'straight', knowing I was technically not. The separation, for ME, was painful as I enjoyed the place, and felt a part of something positive for a long time. I am grateful for the life I have now, and

I love my family fiercely. I would take a bullet for my wife, my kids, both natural and step, my grandchildren (only one bullet between them...hey, I don't want to get killed or anything  :roll: see ya!

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 07:56:00 AM »
Thom - you should check with Letterman to see if there are any writer openings.  Your good man or your good man ::rocker::

Greg, I was ther at the end.  What are you really asking?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 09:48:00 AM »
On 2005-09-22 13:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"For all those who seem inflamed by the word "cult" associated with the group, I have one (or two) questions:

Once you decided to leave (for whatever reasons), why did most of you stay far away, without even a phone call to your "friends" for such a long time? Why didn't you drop by for a rap every once in a while or call one of the staff or long time grads (who were closely connected to the seed) for dinner some night?

Something tells me that you knew better and in your mind your were thinkin', "I'll just stay the f____ away, for a long, long time." Or was it that the "unusual closeness" was somewhat disturing to someone who had left and might comback to find himself on the front row, once again. "Gee, I was just droppin' by to say, hi you guys! I certainly don't deserve this much attention, again." But all of this is my intial gut feeling.

I'm sincerely curious, why YOU stayed away. Come on reach deep down inside, be honest and answer why, especially if you so deeply supported the group.  

"

Offline John Underwood

• View Profile
Why Did YOU Stay Away?
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 10:21:00 AM »
I can only speak for myself.
My closest and dearest friends in the world today are former Seedlings. It is through one of them that I found out about this site. (The bond between us, of course, has matured over the years) It not only began at The Seed, but was only possible because of The Seed. I'm not going to write an essay here about friendship, but I will say I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to have these people as friends, relationships of a love, depth and commitment I never would have dreamed possible once upon a time. I think, probably, much of what's missing, in the way of understanding, is that much of the loyalty I, (and others), exhibit at this site is because of this, as well as, what The Seed did for me, (us), personally.
As to why I didn't return??? This should be patently obvious. Though I thought about it many times over the years, I believed that my presence there would have been, at the very least, disruptive. Lybbi's reaction to me, when we chanced to meet in 2001, was disappointing, but certainly not unexpected, and confirmed what I had always believed. Besides, as some of you, (later-day Seedlings), have pointed out, The Seed became, (was already becoming), exactly what I believed it would when I left.