Author Topic: especially for Marshall, Greg,  (Read 8902 times)

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
especially for Marshall, Greg,
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »
On 2005-09-19 16:09:00, Thom wrote:

Ginger is my baby Sister. Her story is all over this site, no need for me to add anything. Anything I say can and will be used against me.

No doubt Thom - and I thought MY FAMILY was dysfunctional! I guess I'm not alone anymore...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
bid you peace!

Offline Robin Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
On 2005-09-19 09:56:00, John Underwood wrote:

"Anyone who was able to free themselves from drug abuse on their own should be congratulated and consider themselves very lucky, maybe even blessed. However, it has been my experience that this is the exception, not the rule.

Hey John, I made a similar post a while back which seemed to be ignored and attacked also... don't fret. I have my list of friends who are/were "deadinsaneorinjail".

Although I appreciate their collective talents in creating and moderating this site, albeit the "Greg-n'Ginger pony show", it's been nice to be able to connect w/ past friends.
bid you peace!

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 01:18:00 AM »

Although I appreciate their collective talents in creating and moderating this site, albeit the "Greg-n'Ginger pony show", it's been nice to be able to connect w/ past friends.
"

Hey Robin,

Thanks for the kind words, and for identifying with me. I know I'm quoting your post to John above, but that last part got my attention. My wife and I were headed to one of our 12 step cult meetings tonight, (if we miss one, we'll probably die the next day, I'm told...good thing for us we happen to enjoy them) and we were discussing the recent postings on this thread. After a few laughs over some of the more bizarre items, I said something very similar to what you posted.

Straight up, I am very proud of Ginger for the energy, focus, passion and tenacity she pours into this site. She feels strongly about her views, and expresses them well. I believe our Dad would be/is proud of her as well.

He, also, was very well read, and involved in trying to bring about change where he saw injustice. He was forever writing Congressmen, Senators, Presidents, newspapers, local politicians and boldly sharing his views. Sometimes his writings were welcome, othertimes he was invited to discontinue sharing his ideas.

Once, The FBI showed up at his door after a letter to The White House got their attention. Nixon, I think. They left satisfied that he was not a physical threat to The President.

Then there was his Walk To Washington, DC in '82 to demonstrate to the Postal Service (and himself) that he was NOT physically unable to carry mail as they had said when they fired him.

The trip was about 1100 miles with a 40 pound back pack. Not bad for a 58 year old permanently disabled guy. I hope I always retain the image of him stepping off the train (you didn't expect him to walk home TOO, did you. His first words to me were, "I can do ANYTHING!!!" and later, "I hope I have demonstrated one thing to my kids. You CAN fight city hall!"

He got his job back with the support of then Florida Senator Paula Hawkins. Lawyers screwed him out of $20,000 in fees when he went for back pay, but he was able to work another 9 years, and draw his regular retirement.

Ironically, 'the bastards' were right. Unknown to them, because they never sent him for a physical exam before firing him, he had a bad ticker and had refused bypass surgery in about '78. I know because I'm the one who took him to the hospital that day after finding him laying face down on a bed having a heart attack. He popped nitro the rest of his life, and made it another 20 years on shear will!

The "old Bastard", as he liked to refer to himself, was not going to let ANYONE tell him he could not work if he chose to. Not the union, who essentially threw him to the dogs, and had NO part in helping him. not the post office, not even his own body.

All that about Dad, of whom I am very proud, to give you an idea of Ginger's bloodline. She exhibits many of his better traits.

It may seem strange for me to be praising Ginger, seeing as how we see eye to eye on very little when it comes to things discussed here, but hey, give credit where it is due. My hope for her is that she one day comes to understand that powerlessness does NOT equate to weakness. We all need help at some point. Those who recognize when they are at that point, and accept the help win, those who don't, miss out, and often spend the remainder of their lives stuck in the past. I believe if Dad had been at a place where he could trust doctors in '78, he would likely still be bouncing around on his farm in WV. There is a lesson there for me.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't had a similar thing happen to me. My surrender and admission of powerlessness was NOT to (your drug here), but to God. I had already tried surrendering to (your drug here), and it almost killed me. I spent a big chunk of my life running from The One who only wanted to share His peace with me, hiding, or so I thought, from Him behind various drugs, until at last I ran out of run. You know how some of us are, never asking for directions, prefering to drive around lost all night than admit we need help. His name is Jesus.

I praise God for my salvation. Art, John, Lybbi, Lybbi, Lybbi, etc. were only tools. We had in common that they had been where I was headed. I thank God for them too but not as gods or heros. it's people!.....Soilent Green is made out of people! (sorry, my seriousness clock just wound down)

Peace to you (all), as well! ::soapbox::

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »
Thanks for that post Tom.

Offline cleveland

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »
Thanks Thom, for that heartfelt post. I think you have captured what makes you guys so great - and so crazy! (I mean that in a good way...)

While I, more and more, disagree with the AA way, I do understand that it does work for some people. I feel the same way about the Catholic Church, too, come to think of it, among other religions that claim that there way is the only way. And while that doesn't resonate for me, I do have family members who swear by AA. And I was involved for some years the Al Anon and Adult Children of Alcoholics. I have been there (although I know these groups are apostasy to AA!) Well, by and by we may come to understandone another. I don't want to 'win' or 'lose' a debate here, only to understand. Rationally! NOT on faith alone. That's why AA doesn't appeal to me, or the Seed - I don't want to take anything on faith. Accept my own personal beliefs...which I don't expect anyone else to care about. Best to you - you are no less opinionated and um, somewhat harsh, than your lovely sister...

Walter
ally Gator

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2005, 04:59:00 PM »
On 2005-09-20 22:18:00, Thom wrote:

It may seem strange for me to be praising Ginger, seeing as how we see eye to eye on very little when it comes to things discussed here, but hey, give credit where it is due.

Strange? What in the world is so strange about a brother saying nice, supportive things about his little sister? Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I'm an apostate. Better not get my hopes up.....

My hope for her is that she one day comes to understand that powerlessness does NOT equate to weakness.

Ah, the punch line! I knew it was coming. Did you? "Too bad the poor dear is missing out on the gift of powerlessenss. What a shame!"

I praise God for my salvation. Art, John, Lybbi, Lybbi, Lybbi, etc. were only tools. We had in common that they had been where I was headed.

Thom, you must be looking into the same crystal ball as John is. Where were you headed before the Seed? Who the hell knows? All I know about that is where you landed up afterward. And I don't think it's unreasonable at all to assume that the Seed had a profound influence on those events.

Your wishing the same for me is like a damned death threat! It hurts me to know that you'd want that for me almost as much as what you evidently assume about my life, having not been a part of it for decades now.

Thanks but no thanks. I do miss you, but not enough to risk my own sanity and happiness by forever fending off your attempts to "help" me gain what you've got. I don't want it, frankly. I'm quite happy w/ what I've got, even w/o your involvement.

There is nothing on earth intended for innocent people so horrible as a school.  To begin with, it is a prison.  But it is in some respects more cruel than a prison.  In a prison, for instance, you are not forced to read books written by the wardens...School was to me a sentence of penal servitude.
--George Bernard Shaw

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
On 2005-09-21 13:59:00, Antigen wrote:

Your wishing the same for me is like a damned death threat! It hurts me to know that you'd want that for me almost as much as what you evidently assume about my life, having not been a part of it for decades now.

Thanks but no thanks. I do miss you, but not enough to risk my own sanity and happiness by forever fending off your attempts to "help" me gain what you've got. I don't want it, frankly. I'm quite happy w/ what I've got, even w/o your involvement."

I guess that was a bit on the preachy side. I make no apology or retraction, but I respect your skepticism. Let me re-state. I wish for you and yours the best that life has to offer. What I wish for me is to see the day when all this Seed/Straight stuff is settled for you, and you and I can sit down and have a normal conversation. Talk about Grandkids and vacations and stuff. No debates, no interrogation, Just a brother and sister who care about each other and can enjoy each other's company. I miss you too....as much as a stepcraft zombie can, I quess. :wink:

I think I know where I got off track! I thought the 11th step said 'Sought through beer and medication to remove our conscious contact w/ God...I plead lysdexia![ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-09-21 21:23 ]

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2005, 01:53:00 AM »
You guys should make it happen. Set a guideline on off the table topics and hook your families up.

Almost brings a tear to my eye thinking about it.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »
So you say, Thom. I've heard that before, and believed it, and made plans and traveled and got my hopes up and got my kids all excited. Ya' don't have to hit me over the head w. a 2x4 more than a few times. I finally "got it".

Thanks for the well wishes, Greg. But he really doesn't talk so sweet w/o an audience.

My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.
-- Charles Barkley, on hearing Tonya Harding proclaim herself "the Charles Barkley of figure skating"

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2005, 07:15:00 PM »
And I'm sure you do, my dear. :silly:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2005, 08:27:00 PM »
What you see is what you get, darlin'.

The body of
        Benjamin Franklin, printer,
      (Like the cover of an old book,
            Its contents worn out,
    And scripts of it's lettering and gilding)
       Lies Here, food for worms!
     Yet the work itself shall not be lost,
For it will, as he believed, appear once more
                 In a new
         And more beautiful edition,
          Corrected and amended
                By it's Author!

Epitaph for himself.

--Benjamin Franklin 1706-1790

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2005, 07:38:00 AM »
Thats what I was afraid of.   :grin:

Lighten up and try givin Thom a break.  It seems to me like hes trying to do right by everyone as well as himself.  

Just try being nice and kind... I know it might be somewhat of a foreign concept, but sometimes it works.

Sorry for my wizeassness- you bring out the best in me.  You make me wanna be a better man. :grin:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2005, 07:52:00 AM »
Yeah, right? I need advice from you on how to be more charming and diplomatic. Here's an idea. Why not set up a new stepcraft cult just for people like us? You can call it Assholes Anonymous, run free ads in the classified section. Then show up at Denny's just to watch see what kind of assholes show up.  :rofl:

Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its
best state is but a necessary evil ---in its worst state an
intolerable one; for when we suffer, or are exposed to the same
miseries by a government, which we might expect in a country without
government, our calamities is heightened by reflecting that we
furnish the means by which we suffer!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679433147/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2005, 07:57:00 AM »
Now you'll probably say I should call for funding from Dupont.  Who ever he is. :grin:

Offline Ft. Lauderdale

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2005, 07:58:00 AM »
And by the way I think you already started that one all on your own. :rofl: