Author Topic: rantings of a meglomaniac  (Read 7234 times)

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
rantings of a meglomaniac
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2005, 04:55:00 PM »
Greg:

Have you had any luck getting that old newspaper article with the pictures of the inside of The Seed at St. Pete scanned so that everyone can see and remember what the place REALLY looked like?

Maybe if people saw it "black and white" they might remember a bit more about the reality of the experience.  

Anxiously awaiting publication... :smile:

Kevin[ This Message was edited by: Stripe on 2005-04-04 14:00 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »
Sorry Stripe, with all the personal drama I have had lately, I plum forgot agout it. It is sitting on my desk at work right now.  I apologize and will get right on it when I return next tuesday.

Offline Stripe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2005, 09:59:00 PM »
That's okay. Take your time and no rush on it.  Thanks for all you do, Greg.  I appreciate it.
KJ
The person who stands up and says, ``This is stupid,\'\' either is asked to `behave\' or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful ``Yes, we know! Isn\'t it terrific ?\'\' -- Frank Zappa

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
bada...BUMP.

:grin:

Offline marshall

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 12:31:00 AM »
On 2003-11-14 09:17:00, GregFL wrote:

""its a form of brainwashing"

Art Barker, speaking of the techniques of the seed,  to the Miami Herald   8/19/72

To go to Journal of Applied Polymer Science go to http://www3.interscience.wiley.com and then journal search and put the journal number and year

-- Journal of Applied Polymer Science  Vol. 47, 1984

"

Reading back through this thread I noticed that Art himself described the Seed program as a type of "Brainwashing". Given this, I'm a little surprised that so many defenders of the program refute this. Art said it was brainwashing....yet so many here say it was not. A common statement being: "I never felt brainwashed". If you were brainwashed...would you feel it at all? Isn't that part of the programming itself? Wouldn't you only feel brainwashed if the effects were at least beginning to wear off? I thought that the only debate was whether such brainwashing (or thought-reconditioning....if you prefer a milder term) was justified by the higher purpose of getting people off drugs.

A view similar to Art's seems to be held by the professor  below:

Incredibly, in 1962 Dr. Edgar H. Schein, associate professor of psychiatry at M.I.T., addressing the topic "Man Against Man: Brainwashing" at a seminar for prison wardens and psychologists chaired by James V. Bennett, the then director of the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, told his audience,

'My basic argument is this: in order to produce marked change of behavior and/or attitude, it is necessary to weaken, undermine, or remove the supports of the old patterns of behavior and the old attitudes'; this can be done 'either by removing the individual physically and preventing any communication with those whom he cares about, or by proving to him that those whom he respects are not worthy of it and, indeed, should be actively mistrusted.' Dr. Schein told his audience that he had gotten most of his ideas by studying the techniques used by North Korean and Chinese Communist on GI prisoners of war, but cautioned his audience not to be put off by this fact: 'These same techniques in the service of different goals may be quite acceptable to us. . . I would like to have you think of brainwashing not in terms of politics, ethics, and morals, but in terms of the deliberate changing of human behavior and attitudes by a group of men who have relatively complete control over the environment in which the captive population lives.' [Corrective Psychiatry & Journal of Social Change, Second Quarter, 1962.]    

Many people seem  amused by the comparison of the Seed's techniques to Korean Brainwashing. Did this idea originate with some junkie seed-screwup or is it simply some insult pulled out of thin air? And who first referred to the Seed as a 'cult'? Antigen? Greg? Not quiet:

"There are indications that a cult of The Seed has developed which leads seedlings to associate only with other seedlings and to ostracize those who associate with non-seedlings. This has led to the formation of continuing limited peer groups outside the program which restrict seedlings' interaction with normal society. Allegiance to such a peer group may lead to a transfer of decision-making and opens the possibility that if the peer group shifts direction it may return its members to drug abuse or turn them to other anti-social behavior. "

1974 Report by the Staff of the House Committee on Interstate and Foreign Commerce.      

And  where did the  bizarre idea of comparing the Seed's methods to Korean Brain Washing originate:

"Other forms of behavior modification techniques employ intensive "encounter sessions" in which individuals are required to participate in group therapy discussions where intensive pressure is often placed on the individuals to accept the attitudes of the group. . . Once the individual is submissive, his personality can begin to be reformed around attitudes determined by the program director to be acceptable. Similar to the highly refined "brainwashing" techniques employed by the North Koreans in the early nineteen fifties, the method is used in the treatment of drug abusers. . . "The Seed", a drug abuse treatment program in Florida that, until recently, received funding from the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, is based on a similar philosophy. "

INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS AND THE FEDERAL ROLE IN BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION by the Committee on the Judiciary,United States Senate, Subcommittee on Constitutional Rights, November, 1974, pp. 15 - 16 describing a juvenile drug rehab program in Fort Lauderdale, Florida called The Seed.    

Brainwashing: What does this mean? It does not mean that your memory is wiped out. It does not mean you become a 'manchurian candidate' robot pre-programed to carry out assigned tasks. It doesn't mean you are a zombie or are incapable of any critical thinking or feeling on any level. It does mean that your basic beliefs, ideals and personality are modified to conform with a desired result or ideal. Your ability to critically evaluate particular issues addressed by the programming is indeed affected. It is a catch 22 since it is this ability to critically evaluate the claims of the programming itself that offers the only way of freeing yourself from it's clutches. If you don't feel brainwashed, you obviously aren't interested in freeing yourself from it.
Truth, being limitless, unconditioned, unapproachable by any path whatsoever, cannot be organized; nor should any organization be formed to lead or to coerce people along any particular path. You must climb towards the Truth. It cannot be \'stepped down\'

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2005, 12:59:00 AM »
Great post, as usual. You have a soothing manner, and your style of non-combative writing really brings a welcome level of balance to this forum. Thanks for the info!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2005, 02:34:00 AM »
all that info was right here in the forum all along, but thanks Marshall for bringing it back up to the surface.

Now, how long will it take before they just wait for the thread to disappear and then to start calling blasphemy on anyone who says "brainwashing". Before they start ridiculing people who bring up the obvious comparisons to the techniques the korean's used on POWs?

My father used to say this "they say the seed uses brainwashing methods, but I think your brain needed a little washing".

welcome to the Orwellian world of a 14 year old florida boy, circa 1973.

GregFL

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2005, 03:57:00 AM »
On 2005-09-28 21:31:00, marshall wrote:

Brainwashing: What does this mean? It does not mean that your memory is wiped out. It does not mean you become a 'manchurian candidate' robot pre-programed to carry out assigned tasks. It doesn't mean you are a zombie or are incapable of any critical thinking or feeling on any level. It does mean that your basic beliefs, ideals and personality are modified to conform with a desired result or ideal. Your ability to critically evaluate particular issues addressed by the programming is indeed affected. It is a catch 22 since it is this ability to critically evaluate the claims of the programming itself that offers the only way of freeing yourself from it's clutches. If you don't feel brainwashed, you obviously aren't interested in freeing yourself from it."

People when the term Brainwashing is used, conjure up robots or zombies in their mind. wrong!

Brainwashing is a process (that we are all intimately familiar with whether we know it or not) that breaks down your ego and belief system and replaces it with one that has already been predetermined and bonding someone to a particular group.  It is a very deliberate and effective method over the short haul of affecting massive changes in one's personality.