Author Topic: I don't give a fuck about those niggers  (Read 21435 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
I don't give a fuck about those niggers
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 03:24:00 PM »
On 2005-09-19 08:44:00, kcadams1980 wrote:

"The last part of the country to pass state compulsory education laws, the South, finally got on the bandwagon between 1900-1920 or so... Apparently, Southern white families didn't push their kids very hard to go to school every day.  Seeing that the public school for black children were busting at the seams, Southern states finally passed their compulsory education laws, fearing that black scholastic achievment would outstrip whites...."

No, that ain't it. The first region of the country to resist compulsory schooling of their children by government was Massachusetts. That ended in, litterally, taking the children at gunpoint.

Most people make the mistake of thinking that scoooling is synonymous w/ education. John Taylor Gatto, NY teacher of the year turned unschooling advocate, makes a very strong argument to the effect that they're more like antonyms.

If anything, the southerners loved the idea of forced schooling for their labour class and just failed, eventually, at protecting their own kids from it.

Check out Anonymity Anonymous
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 03:47:00 PM »
Well said KC!  :tup:
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline kcadams1980

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »
Yes, there was a lot of resistance to compulsory education across the country - not just in the South.  Massachussetts was actually the first state in the US to pass that compulsory ed. law though, in 1852 - Mississippi was the last in 1918.  Things were different back then... the labor classes depended on their children to supplement the family's income, so school was not always the priority.  The main point I was really driving at there was that, during that time, southern black families were extremely eager to have their children educated... a fact that I think contradicts Anon's view that black people are stupid, lazy, looking for handouts, etc, etc...

PS - A lot of this info. I've gotten from a book I've read called "In the Shadow of the Poorhouse: a Social History of Welfare in America" by Michael Katz... VERY interesting read!!
elly Adams
Cross Creek Manor *Graduate* \'97-\'99
M.S.W. (pending graduation!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »