Author Topic: some simple actions to take  (Read 1382 times)

Offline marcwordsmith

• View Profile
    • http://www.marcwordsmith.com
some simple actions to take
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:58:00 AM »
There has been a bill introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives by Congressman George Miller of California, entitled the End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005 (HR 1738).

I think it's an excellent start; it basically gives the attorneys general of each state a mandate to investigate the practices of both domestic and foreign-based residential treatment institutions "to assure the welfare and safety of American children."

Some of the people who helped author the language of the bill were disillusioned Teen Help parents, who realized that their kids had been abused.

You can read the bill here:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1738.IH:

You can sign a petition to support the bill here:

http://www.petitiononline.com/hr1738/petition.html

But personal letters are far more effective than signatures on a petition. The main people to write to would be Rep. Miller, thanking him for introducing the bill and stating your support; Rep. John Boehner, who chairs the Committee on Education and the Workforce; and Rep. Henry Hyde, who chairs the Committee on International Relations. (The bill has been referred to both of these committees.)

Following are some template letters; please feel free to copy them. I'm also including each Congressman's mailing address.

The Honorable George Miller
2205 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515

Dear Congressman Miller,

I am writing to thank you for your sponsorship of HR 1738, the End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005, and to express my strong support for this bill.

I am a survivor of a program called The Seed, which employed coercive thought reform techniques. Coercive behavior modification is nothing but abuse and brainwashing. My experience was traumatic. I would like to see such abuses end. I think if American parents truly understood what such programs entail, they would be much less likely to turn their children over to the abusers.

I see HR 1738 as a good start toward reining in these programs, and raising public awareness about them. I enthusiastically support HR 1738. Thank you for your work with this bill and this important, under-publicized issue.

Sincerely,

The Honorable Henry Hyde
2110 Rayburn House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Hyde,

I am writing to urge you to schedule hearings on HR 1738, the End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005, and to express my strong support for this bill. Because many of the residential behavior modification programs for teens are situated in foreign countries, though they are administered by U.S.-based entities, I believe this issue falls under the jurisdiction of your committee.

I am a survivor of a program called The Seed, which employed coercive thought reform techniques. Coercive behavior modification is nothing but abuse and brainwashing. My experience was traumatic. I would like to see such abuses end. I think if American parents truly understood what such programs entail, they would be much less likely to turn their children over to the abusers.

I see HR 1738 as a good start toward reining in these programs, and raising public awareness about them. I enthusiastically support HR 1738. Please hold hearings on this important bill, and please help secure its passage.

Sincerely,

The Honorable John Boehner
1011 Longworth H.O.B.
Washington, DC 20515

Dear Congressman Boehner,

I am writing to urge you to schedule hearings on HR 1738, the End Institutionalized Abuse Against Children Act of 2005, and to express my strong support for this bill.

I see HR 1738 as a good start toward reining in these programs, and raising public awareness about them. I enthusiastically support HR 1738. Please hold hearings on this important bill, and please help secure its passage.

Sincerely,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline JaLong

• View Profile
some simple actions to take
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »
Marc, This is great. Maybe finally someone will stop the abuse of children in treatment programs all over the world. Thank you for this information.
Julie
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »