Author Topic: Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?  (Read 6397 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Y'all okay in the hurricane path there?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2005, 06:28:00 PM »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline str8tohell

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
Anon', sorry to hear that you've lost your house if there?s anything that you need let me know. Do you have all the clothes, food, any other basics that you need? I'm in TX if that's any help. I have a surplus of stuff! I've lived in NOLA most of my life. Most of my friends are still missing. I was certainly not condoning the rampant senseless violence. But, are you really shocked or even  surprised? NOLA is a fucked up violent town to begin with. What I was saying is that the general public seems to be focused on the looting rather than on what the fuck can be done to help. The media instead of pressuring the admin. to get it's ass into gear are droning on and on about the looting. It is going to take a lot more than the charity of the American people to get NOLA back on track. What's more this is the kind of thing that we pay taxes for. After 9/11 there was a call out to all medical, police, search and rescue, and fire workers, they were asked to come quickly to NY to aid in the rescue and clean up. There was looting then also but that was rarely mentioned and it stopped quickly, partially because of the immediate response from the rest of the country. Why haven?t there been governmental requests for aid workers? Indeed as the anon poster mentioned there haven?t even been supply drops. The media?s preoccupation with the craziness is fostering an us and them feeling. Most people who are watching from the safety of their living rooms are thinking how horrific these looters are. Who needs to help these types of people. It is going to make the recovery from this devastation just that much harder. I get the feeling that this would be handled very differently had it been Cape Cod that was under water. Who in the government is really all that worried about losing 9th ward, the St. Thomas projects or even uptown?  How can there be any shock at the anarchy in the streets when the government is having so little involvement? That does not mean that I think that it?s a good thing, or that I wouldn?t want it to stop. I am simply not surprised.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2005, 06:54:00 PM »
4:15 P.M. - (AP): Police say storm victims are being raped and beaten inside the New Orleans Convention Center.

Offline Nonconformistlaw

• View Profile
    • http://survivingstraightinc.com
« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
All I can think about is "How can I help these people stranded in NO? I saw the pictures of people who have started walking and thought..."I wish I could just drive to NO myself and start giving people rides that are walking".... I cant stand that so many people are just waiting for help that doesn't come....

Our govt is so busy gathered around tables drawing up plans....what the Fuck? The people of NO cannot wait for govt. officials to make the perfect plan! They're hungry, tired, hot, some are sick and/or dying and need out NOW, and are in such desperate straights even I cannot fathom.

I think Pesident Bush, on this morning's interview w/Diane Sawyer....really indicates what a moran our President is being right now...When asked about the looters...including those who are just desperately trying to get food and necessities for basic survival...our illustrious president responded to the effect...ZERO TOLERANCE....LOOTERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED...HELP IS ON THE WAY....Granted, I dont condone stealing luxury items such as TV's, cars, etc....but
I couldn't believe my ears....what are they supposed to do starve while patiently waitng for help that may come too late???? But I guess I wasn't surprised at the inhumaity and lack of compassion our president is showing to those in the most desperate circumstances........of course all the while stating that he understands...which is total Bullshit....
quot;In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.\" George Orwell

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2005, 08:46:00 PM »
NCL, that's what I'm talking about! I caught a little bit of coverage today. First off, they (FEMA, various states, American Red Cross and everyone else who can) are dropping in food, water and all the rest. But there is no way to get it moved around and no one to keep it honest.

I can't imagine that what's going on on the ground is all that different from what happened in Miami/Homestead after Andrew. Granted, it wasn't quite so devistating. Everybody knew it would be cleaned up and rebuilt fairly routinely. But, for a number of days, there was no communication, no money, no cops, no firemen, no hospitals no driving. All hell did break loose.

The local media responded by interviewing people who were ready to shoot to protect home and family and then featuring those interviews at least hourly. They never played it asif looting and lawlessness were the primary concern. They reported on the Mikasukee(sp?) brought boats, food, water and building materials to the Seminols. They implored people to send money, food, water, but to do it through the authorities. Some people ignored that and went in anyway if they could.

I know they understated resulting deaths. I knew a doctor who went down there to help. I worked for his answering service. He told us about refrigerated tractor trailers loaded w/ bodies waiting for autopsy and he had done hundreds in a couple of days already. Then there were the hospitals that didn't get power restored or critical patients evacuated before their backup generators ran out of fuel.

They're playing it differently this time around. Why would they do that? Then, in the next breath, you mention 9/11. I don't even want to think they'll spin this for increased political power as they did the last major shakeup. But then, wtf is w/ Chavez's offers to send aid, oil and eye surgery???? Then consider that it is only about a 20 min trip to the lands of narcoterror by puddle hopper. I'm thinkin' they may do just that.  

Then what, Pooh?

Who would believe that a democratic government would pursue for eight decades a failed policy that produced tens of millions of victims and trillions of dollars of illicit profits for drug dealers, cost taxpayers hundreds of billions of dollars, increased crime and destroyed inner cities, fostered widespread corruption and violations of human rights - and all with no success in achieving the stated and unattainable objective of a drug free America?

--Milton Friedman,  winner of 1976 Nobel Memorial Prize for economic science

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »
no. i'm not surprised about the looting. where did all the prisoners on I-10 go. Did they loose them? I read an article this morning from Texas officials who feared they had accidentally mixed some in with the refugees headed for Houston. Ooops.

I heard the pump they recently built just behind our house was never turned on. I know that despite warnings and knowledge that this could occur, sent our rescue equipment to Iraq, refused to fund flood control programs and failed us horribly.

I was also living in New York during 911. This is so much worse. But in NY looting was stopped. Before looting turned to mayhem, rape and murder, it was stopped. Within a day there was a military presence. Cops did not flee town. They did not jump ship. There were tanks in my neighborhood, at the Brooklyn Bridge. They didn't stop survivors from walking across bridges to escape the disaster. People in New Orleans were told the bridge was not safe for pedestrians. There are people who haven't eaten in 5 days. They are prevented from leaving. My neighbors stayed? Are they alive? Cops in NY weren't looting Walmart in their uniforms. They were saving lives. They were grieving the loss of lives. They were not turning a blind eye to crime. In NYC neighborhoods around the city were shut down and surrounded by armed military within the first few days. Where is our military? They are with our rescue equipment in Iraq.

If bringing order to Iraq is any indication of how order will be brought to New Orleans, we are in grave trouble.

When our poiticians are saying publicly that maybe we should not rebuild this city one it's pretty easy to understand just why this is happening.

Last night some fellow evacuees started trashing the poor people dying in the streets and at the Superdome and Convention Center. They started saying these people just want to be taken care of. They don't ever want to do anything for themselves. I asked him how he knew who these people were? I told him some were my neighbors.
He said he knew damn well who 90% of these people were. I finally called him a racist and told him that I couldn't listen to the bullshit he was spewing. I just screamed "people are dying". What is wrong with you!" They just didn't get it. They are so far removed from the reality of this tragedy.

I was in KIDS of BC.
I got through that, I got through 911, I'll get through this one too.

If anyone is interested in helping, I am trying to form a list of things my friends need. We are all displaced. Most of them are homeless and jobless now. They will need basic things over the coming weeks and months. One of my friends has her elderly father in tow. Another is a single mom with her 12 year old daughter. If anyone is interested in donating even $1 to these folks, a friend in Brooklyn set up a pay pal fund and will be getting me a list of what they all need.  Please email me at designkorp at earthlink.net and I will give you the info. 100% will be split up between about 20 individuals. They have already received enough to buy the basics like underwear, personal hygiene needs and food. They have offered me help as well but I am fortunate.  My partner and I still have our jobs for now. We have a free place to stay and enough savings to get the basics we need. For now I've declined any assistance from the fund so there will be more for the others. I feel fortunate to be alive and I'm overwhelmed by the outpouring of support from friends, family and strangers.

Karen

Offline sammiegirl

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2005, 12:24:00 PM »
The main point to all of this as I see it is:
1. W/poverty as it is and the lack of transport pre Katrina. The Gov. Failed their people. 911 calls were made 2 days prior to Kat. from the poor and elderly seeking refuge they wanted to leave but couldn't. The calls were desperate and the 911 operators told them in more words "TUOGH LUCK BUDY"
2. Our Gov. Dropped and reccomended the poor to go to the dome and conventin center for help. WHERE WAS IS THE HELP. Don't need an AK. Need food water medication.
3.When you are w/out food and water for days with the stress levels high and trauma and people dying by the sec. around you, Are your faculties about you? Hell no! You become a desperate animal.
4. Why are we concerned with protecting STUFF, SHIT, TVs ect. Just goes to show we care less for people than profit.
I am not angry w/the looting. I dont care about the looting I care about the 10s of thousands stranded by their country pleading for help, and we do not help.
A concert?a telethon?Pr bullshit!
More and more I become disgrunteled with the mentality of our bougoise society. What right do we have to judge these people. Yes they took a TV so What!!!! They were forced to leave them in the streets next to their dead friends mothers fathers and children. TV=GRAVE MARKER
GEORGE BUSH IS KILLING OUR CITIZENS IN EVERY TURN SENDING OUR YOUNG MEN TO WOMEN TO THEIR DEATH IN IRAQ. KILLING THE POOR IN LA, MISS AND ELSEWHERE BY LACK OF ACTION AND CARE. THAT SCUM IS SO FAR REMOVED FROM REALITY ALONG W/THE REST OF THE ADMIN. HE IS KILLING OUR CHILDREN BY HIS MANDITORY PSYCH EVALS AND MED PROGRAMS HES KILLING WOMEN BY PLACING THEM IN PRISONS FOR CRIMES THAT SHOULDNT BE CRIMES. HE CUT SS AND WELFARE HE REMOVED FUNDS FROM SCHOOLS TO PAY PRIVATE PRISON BUILDERS TO RUN OUR SCHOOLS. HE ALLOWS BIG COMPANIES TO POLLUTE OUR AIR OUR WATER. HE HAS GIVEN MONEY TO MURDERERS AND CROOKS WHO MILK THE SYSTEM AND PROFIT ALL THE WHILE SCREWING THE EMPLOYEES, AND FAMILIES. ENRON,HALIBURTON. HE SLEEPS WITH DOGS. ALL OF THEM DO

WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!
NOW TAKE YOUR MEDS!
We ARE IN A SICK PLACE IN HISTORY, WE HAVE BECOME THE CANCER THAT EATS ITS HOST TO DEATH.
Thank you for the rant
ND THE TRUTH WILL SET US FREE

Offline webcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2005, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the info on where to help out Karen. You and your loved one's are in my thoughts right now.
am looking for people who survived Straight in Plymouth, Michigan. I miss a lot of people there and wonder what happened and would like to stay in touch.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »
Second Harvest Donation Page:
http://www.secondharvest.org/site_content.asp?s=95

Unlike the Red Cross, Second Harvest is not a blood pyramid scheme run
by Dracula and his night minions.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2005, 02:49:00 PM »
On 2005-09-01 16:45:00, Nonconformistlaw wrote:

"All I can think about is "How can I help these people stranded in NO? I saw the pictures of people who have started walking and thought..."I wish I could just drive to NO myself and start giving people rides that are walking".... I cant stand that so many people are just waiting for help that doesn't come....

Our govt is so busy gathered around tables drawing up plans....what the Fuck? The people of NO cannot wait for govt. officials to make the perfect plan! They're hungry, tired, hot, some are sick and/or dying and need out NOW, and are in such desperate straights even I cannot fathom.

I think Pesident Bush, on this morning's interview w/Diane Sawyer....really indicates what a moran our President is being right now...When asked about the looters...including those who are just desperately trying to get food and necessities for basic survival...our illustrious president responded to the effect...ZERO TOLERANCE....LOOTERS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED...HELP IS ON THE WAY....Granted, I dont condone stealing luxury items such as TV's, cars, etc....but

I couldn't believe my ears....what are they supposed to do starve while patiently waitng for help that may come too late???? But I guess I wasn't surprised at the inhumaity and lack of compassion our president is showing to those in the most desperate circumstances........of course all the while stating that he understands...which is total Bullshit...."

You can help by calling the Colorado Springs Police Dept. and suggest that they send their helicopters to New Orleans.  Those fucking getto birds are racking my nerve. I need them out of here.

Call Micheal Moore and ask him to donate his dinner plate to the people of New Orleans.  The dinner plate of that fat piece of shit will feed a dozen or so.

Buy tickets to see the NFL's newest team, the San Antonio Saints.   :lol:  God bless Texas.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
Thank you to all who have generously offered support.  As I get in touch with and learn that more and more of my friends and neighbors are safe, a list is building of those who didn't leave and those who are missing. I have been spending the past two days trying to locate them.  My friend Kristin who is waiting for a check from the fund is headed back to New Orleans in a truck. She is headed to one of the locations where evacuees have been left in squalor on the highway.  She has borrowed money for gas even though she has nothing. I hope she will be safe but someone has to get these people out. It's hard to just sit back and watch. It's a pretty dangerous place and there are first hand stories that I am hearing that are much more horrendous than what the news is telling us. People who have gotten out are running out of money and have nowhere to stay. I'm trying to also develop a list of needs that people have, especially for those I know who have kids.  I can't even get into the politics of the whole thing or I lose focus on helping those who are not as fortunate as me and those who are missing. I'm trying to locate all the shelters / places that evacuees have been taken (aside from Houston).  If anyone has any idea where they are taking people it would be very helpful.  There are a lot of people missing.  The fund should be up and running again next week. We're trying to sort that out. In the meantime, about a dozen people have recieved a check to buy essentials to last a few weeks, and more people are being added to the fund as we find them safe and sound.  You can email me if you have any questions designkorp at earthlink.net or go to:
http://pratt.edu/~alesen/fund/

Karen