Author Topic: JUNK: A Drug War Satire  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Sgt. Belcher

• View Profile
    • http://www.WaronJunk.com
JUNK: A Drug War Satire
« on: August 23, 2005, 07:34:00 PM »
THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT DECLARES WAR ON JUNK FOOD!
http://www.WaronJunk.com (turn your speakers on)

RIOTOUS COMEDY PUTS THE "UGH" BACK INTO "DONUT," LAMPOONS PROHIBITION, FOOD CRAVINGS, AND MISGUIDED CRUSADES

Christopher Largen?s Iconoclastic Novel JUNK Latest Release From Boutique Fiction House ENC Press

NEW YORK?TEXAS ? Court mandates liposuction. Cops are busted for selling doughnuts. Protesters demand ban on Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. U.S. military forces eradicate Africa?s cocoa fields. Welcome to the dystopian satire JUNK, where the lives of an undercover police officer, an inner-city food-abuse counselor, and a black-market baker collide with devastating consequences.

A hilarious and tragic exploration of moralistic prohibition policies, Junk transcends the false dichotomies posed by conservative and liberal ideologies, and raises more questions than it answers: What are the public effects of private health choices? When legislators respond to epidemics with criminal sanctions, do they exacerbate the health crisis? Do mafia kingpins support the prohibition of their products? Can public safety and personal responsibility ever become reconciled through government policies?

Preliminary reviews are calling the novel a classic, comparing it to Mark Twain, Will Rogers, George Orwell, and Kurt Vonnegut. JUNK?s author, Christopher Largen, is a leading proponent of drug-policy reform. His credits include Prescription Pot (a nonfiction exploration of the U.S. Government's medical cannabis program), and articles in various publications, including the Village Voice, High Times, Nashville Scene, Ft. Worth Weekly, and Cannabis Culture. He is a frequent guest speaker at colleges and festivals across America.

Mr. Largen discovered that writing about cannabis gave him a severe case of the munchies, and JUNK flowed forth like cream soda. In the gluttonous tradition of Supersize Me, he method-wrote JUNK during a three-month food binge, hoping to augment his prose with a sugar rush. He gained 25 pounds and inspired inquiries from concerned clerks at his local convenience store, where he loaded up on ice cream, hot dogs, and candy bars. Since finishing the novel, Mr. Largen claims to have reformed his dietary habits, but federal authorities have not yet completed their investigation.

WARNING: PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO APPREHEND THE AUTHOR, AS HE MAY BE ARMED WITH SIZEABLE QUANTITIES OF FRIED PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SANDWICHES.

JUNK REVIEWS

?JUNK is a profound and absurd tragicomedy, an engaging page-turner that reads like a film. Largen devours tough issues like morality, appetite, bigotry and bureaucracy with biting irreverence, and yet it is his characters who shine brightest. JUNK will entertain, intrigue and provoke, inspiring debate and exploration as humanity wrestles to define the relationship between health and public policy.? ? Joe Camp, writer, producer, and director of the Benji films.

?JUNK is tragicomedy for thinking people. No partisan camp is immune from Largen?s wit and wisdom, and he takes no prisoners. It was only after pulmonary exhaustion quieted my laughter that I could discern the web of political, moral and personal issues that unite modern archetypes into a cohesive and frighteningly believable plot, set in a not too distant future.? ? Dr. James Quinn, Professor of Addictions and Criminology, University of North Texas

?Brilliant! JUNK is satire at its best!? ? Michael Constantine McConnell, author of Detroit Stories

?JUNK is a classic comedy about America?s longest war in the style of Mark Twain or Will Rogers.? ? Jack A. Cole, executive director, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

?I loved this book so much that I will read it again! JUNK is a hilarious, horrifying, thought-provoking ride? So simple, yet so eloquent! Read JUNK at your first opportunity, but eat a snack first. It might be the last treat you?re ever allowed to swallow!? ? George McMahon, co-author of Prescription Pot

?A brilliant mockumentary with frighteningly Orwellian dynamics? Packed with insight, irony, and no small dose of hilarity, JUNK seethes like a District Attorney who just lost a case on a technicality? Pick up a copy of JUNK to get a taste of Largen?s tongue-in-cheek but serious take on the nation?s war on drugs.? ? Renee Vaughn Hayes, editor of Venues Magazine

?Portraying the worst and best in my profession, JUNK demonstrates real possibilities for America. It is a wake up call to lovers of liberty.? ? Officer Howard J. Wooldridge (retired), Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

?JUNK is laugh out loud funny! The novel covers every angle of the drug war with insight and humor.? ? Suzanne Wills, Drug Policy Forum of Texas

?I laughed and I cried! JUNK is beautiful! Mr. Largen possesses a talent to touch people in a way they can?t forget.? ? Rhonda Cheatham, Florida Cannabis Action Network

?JUNK is priceless... a wonderful character driven satire, simple and straightforward, a searing indictment of prohibition policies.? ? Al Byrne, Patients Out of Time

?JUNK is a hoot! Largen exposes the frailties and failings of the drug war with humor and glaring insights into the heart of prohibition. After reading this book, sweets will taste a little sweeter.? ? Dean Becker, talk radio host, Cultural Baggage

?JUNK is Vonnegut styled, ironical witty satire that laughs out loud at misguided causes? I cared about the characters? There?s not enough of this kind of clean, neat prose anymore. The message rang loud and clear but never screamed at me. Carry on, Mr. Largen!? ? Leslie Miller, Books to Enjoy

?JUNK is hilarious and tragic! I ate 2 bags of extra butter flavored popcorn by page 100! The editing is fantastic!? ? Mike Smithson, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

?JUNK leads you down a familiar path and then BOOM ? natural thought patterns are jolted into the unfamiliar... JUNK is a mind-boggling realization, a very imaginative approach toward a very real issue.? ? Dr. Juliet Getty, Professor of Nutrition, University of North Texas

ORDER NOW!
ISBN# 0-9752540-4-9

http://www.ENCPress.com
http://www.WaronJunk.com[ This Message was edited by: Sgt. Belcher on 2005-08-23 16:41 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 12:16:00 PM »
Holy sheep shit, batman! I think Sgt. Belcher is Chris Largen himself. Cool beaners!  :nworthy:

This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it.
--John Adams, U.S. President

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:18:00 PM »
Hey Ginger, are you gonna put JUNK on your books page? Lemme know before I go get it at the store.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 05:49:00 PM »
Naw, I don't think it'll be carried by Amazon. I'm pretty sure it's a small publisher. But thanks, though. I appreciate your willingness to deny yourself instant gratification for my sake.

What are politicians going to tell people when the Constitution is gone and we still have a drug problem?
--William Simpson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:24:00 PM »
JUNK is available through http://www.encpress.com and http://www.waronjunk.com

ENC Press intentionally bypasses corporate retailers and distributors, in order to divest more profits to authors.

ENC Press does have an affiliate program, if Fornits chooses to post the book. Otherwise, hungry readers will have to order JUNK from the publisher.

Enjoy the novel in good health.  Or else...