Author Topic: "Shoreland" shines a light on Gulag schools like Hyde  (Read 6263 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
"Shoreland" shines a light on Gulag schools like Hyde
« on: August 17, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
Ingeborg Lauterstein's new novel shines a light on the "fix my teen" industry, which Hyde and other schools fall into. She is my mother and I survived Hyde School back in the mid-80's. This was right when Gauld came back and took the school over. While some of the problems that Gauld saw in society and education were very real, the "tough love" approach his schools use do not always work. In my case, Gauld made sure that I was out of his school and could not graduate. This all happened close to the end of the school year. As a direct result of his efforts, my choices in college were limited and my entire life since has been impacted. I am not making this up. It turns out that a brand name education, followed by that all important first and second jobs affects your future a lot more than anything Gauld could ever offer in terms of character. It took years and years, but now at 38 I finally get paid an o.k. wage, but only on a freelance basis. Of course the novel is about a lot more than these brainwashing centers that pass themselves off as schools, it's about family and what that means and it is funny, maybe too funny for my tastes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »
Just because you couldn't cut it doesn't mean it's not a good school.  For every disfunctional loser like you, there's 100 kids that Hyde has worked for and who are now making a good wage after attending a good college.
Get an existance...PLEASE!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 10:43:00 PM »
Just because you couldn't cut it doesn't mean it's not a good school. For every disfunctional loser like you, there's 100 kids that Hyde has worked for and who are now making a good wage after attending a good college.
Get an existance...PLEASE!

I think you have it wrong babe!  It is more of the norm that for every 100 students, one might do well and have a positive experience at Hyde!!  This is not "Hyde bashing" this is "truth over harmony."  Why is there such a high turnover of teachers every year at Hyde?  Why does Hyde accept most of the students who apply?  Why is there such an emphasis on fundraising from both the students and parents? Has anyone done a Dunn and Bradstreet on Hyde? Try it and you will see who benefits from Hyde!!  A little hint!  It is not the students!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 06:48:00 AM »
In my reasonably extensive experience with Hyde, the one thing I saw that they promised parents they were NOT about was being a fix-my-kid school.  I regularly saw Hyde tell parents, if you think this is just about the kid, then you are at the wrong school.  And I saw them reject applicants on that basis.  I even saw them eject teachers on that basis.
And you know what, there was a time when I was refused admittance to Hyde because my parents....WHO WERE TOTALLY WILLING TO PAY THE MONEY....won't take part in the process.  They wanted me fixed, and Hyde said, um, no, sorry, we don't work that way, because that way doesn't work.

I should also point out you jumped from making a point that a new book is about Hyde....to "Gauld made sure that I was out of his school and could not graduate" kind of skips over some minor details.

I saw a lot of stuff go down at Hyde, and while I may not know you or your specifics, I never saw a situation rise to your level that wasn't justified.

So the real question is, who are you?  Once we know that, we can get some informed opinions about why you and Hyde didn't get along, and then parents can make an assessment on the facts.

Which even if true, without a lot more factual info, may or may not have had a relationship to why you aren't getting paid what you think you deserve.

Anyway, bling Hyde for your life 20 years later, well, you should hear how absurd you sound.  (first job, blah blah, second job, blah blah).  Good God man, get a grip.  Stop blaming others for your life and your problems.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »
On 2005-10-05 03:48:00, Anonymous wrote:

"In my reasonably extensive experience with Hyde, the one thing I saw that they promised parents they were NOT about was being a fix-my-kid school.  I regularly saw Hyde tell parents, if you think this is just about the kid, then you are at the wrong school.  And I saw them reject applicants on that basis.  I even saw them eject teachers on that basis.

And you know what, there was a time when I was refused admittance to Hyde because my parents....WHO WERE TOTALLY WILLING TO PAY THE MONEY....won't take part in the process.  They wanted me fixed, and Hyde said, um, no, sorry, we don't work that way, because that way doesn't work.

I should also point out you jumped from making a point that a new book is about Hyde....to "Gauld made sure that I was out of his school and could not graduate" kind of skips over some minor details.

I saw a lot of stuff go down at Hyde, and while I may not know you or your specifics, I never saw a situation rise to your level that wasn't justified.

So the real question is, who are you?  Once we know that, we can get some informed opinions about why you and Hyde didn't get along, and then parents can make an assessment on the facts.

Which even if true, without a lot more factual info, may or may not have had a relationship to why you aren't getting paid what you think you deserve.

Anyway, bling Hyde for your life 20 years later, well, you should hear how absurd you sound.  (first job, blah blah, second job, blah blah).  Good God man, get a grip.  Stop blaming others for your life and your problems.

"

Hyde does play games with graduating seniors, but there is usually a reason when someone is kicked out.  On the other hand I have seen kids HELD BACK for no reason, although many of us believe Hyde does this to keep the student and the dollars coming in for another year.

On the contrary to what "Anonymous" is saying, I see lots of hypocracy on who Hyde graduates and who they don't.  One year a 19 year old student who was having sex with a minor graduated. Another student who clearly broke ethics towards the end of the school year also graduated.  So when this former student says Hyde ruined his life, I understand the anger involved, and believe that indeed Hyde picks and chooses who graduates and it is not neccesarily consistent, but 20 years is a long time to blame!

To say your life is ruined at this point in your career is a cop out!  Even if Hyde screwed you over unnecessarily, it is time to take responsibility.  Hyde messed with me too, more than you can imagine. I could have allowed what they did to me to ruin my life, but I would NEVER succumb to this.  I did what I needed to do to mend the damage, and I have gone on to have a successful career.  It wasn't easy, but one has a choice in life.  You either give up and continue to blame everyone and everything in your past, or you fight to survive.  I chose the later and you might want to think about doing the same.

Don't get me wrong, I do think Hyde is very distructive, but we can't sit back blaming Hyde forever.  Many of these negative posts are true and hopefully the intelligent parents will make a choice based on both the positives and the negatives.  Hyde isn't for everyone.  I think this website is very informative and hope that anyone considering Hyde reads all the posts.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
You have a good attitude Anonymous.  You see the flaws at Hyde, but you have moved on!  I too am a survivor of Hyde from 9 years ago.  I dislike Hyde's methods and am glad this forum exists to inform students/parents of the facts.  These posters can debate all they want, but the truth is there are a few successes of each graduating class, but many more failures!!  I doubt Hyde completed any studies to see where the graduating students are today. I doubt they would want to do this as it would expose facts that Hyde would not want published.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 03:01:00 PM »
I hope you don't mind...

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... forum=24&0

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
--Robert Frost, American poet

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 03:32:00 PM »

Hyde does play games with graduating seniors, but there is usually a reason when someone is kicked out.  On the other hand I have seen kids HELD BACK for no reason, although many of us believe Hyde does this to keep the student and the dollars coming in for another year.

When I was there in the '70s there were a few kids
who were called "PGs" which stood for "post-graduates".
These were guys who had completed Senior Year but
were too valuable as athletes to let go. The league
that Hyde was in allowed this.

The most important bill in our whole code is that for the diffusion of
knowledge among the people. No other sure foundation can be devised, for the preservation of freedom and happiness.

--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2005, 12:03:00 AM »
As horrible as my experience was there, I don't let it affect my life anymore, despite my lingering anger at my folks who just can't bring themselves to admit that they f&^%$d up by buying into the Hyde mentality.  

Warm weather, palm trees, beautiful girls and a real educational experience (college) helped wash it all away.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 08:55:00 PM »
MMM hyde in the 70's.  Those were the days.  Where is henry milton now?

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 01:30:00 PM »
On 2006-02-23 17:55:00, Anonymous wrote:

"MMM hyde in the 70's.  Those were the days.  Where is henry milton now?  "

I've often wondered about that myself. I always thought that he'd end up working for an outfit like WWASP or Straight, Inc. but I've never seen his name come up in any posts about either one.

You know....if the Seed was in Utah, who knows how many "wives" the old bastard would have.
http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=10274&forum=8&start=26#155924' target='_new'>Jupiter Survivor

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 11:04:00 AM »
I think we were there at the same time.  I was there the summer the mansion burnt. I some times wonder what became of Phil. I actually liked Henry.  I kind of felt bad about his wife running off with Todd.  Todd and Marsha sang well together.

A survivor of the Joe and Ed show

Offline tommyfromhyde1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 02:54:00 PM »
On 2006-02-27 08:04:00, Anonymous wrote:

"I think we were there at the same time.  I was there the summer the mansion burnt. I some times wonder what became of Phil. I actually liked Henry.  I kind of felt bad about his wife running off with Todd.  Todd and Marsha sang well together.

A survivor of the Joe and Ed show

"

I was there the year after the fire. Never heard any story about Milton's wife running off with anyone.

Don't let your dogma run out in front of your karma.
--Anonymous

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 03:29:00 PM »
Yeah...Marcia was pretty weird and ended up leaving Henry and running away with Todd Donahue..Actually they taught there for a year after they got together.  Henry ended up dating and then marrying Mary, a sec'y and they had a couple kids.
Henry's in FL.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 04:47:00 PM »
I remember Henry and Mary.  The thing I have always been curious about was what went on after I left.  The Whole thing between Joe and Ed when the "book" and National Committment fizzled.  I heard a number of rumors. Like Larry Kennedy embezzing funds. Joe and Ed having sex with various students, all of which I enjoyed with a certain sagenfroid, being a disaffected former student. I have run into folks that are very pro one side or the other. Kind of like kids taking sides in a messy divorce. Joe is back and Ed is in Kennebunk plotting a coup perhaps.

anon