Author Topic: why MT is so supportive of mms  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
why MT is so supportive of mms
« on: August 07, 2005, 06:30:00 PM »
FREE LABOR- see, labor not just reserved for the benefit for the school/staff (personal benefit)! We've  all heard stories- how MMS has local condon cops in their back pocket,  next we should exam who else they have in their pocket- lobbyist doin' their job well- how about these politicians??

Local residents, assisted by "a bunch of kids," volunteered to help clear about five acres of Forest Service land that had been an old clearcut. They cut down trees, then removed stumps, rocks and debris. Loggers brought in heavy equipment to level the field and plant grass. Local carpenters helped build the log dugouts, concession stand, backstop and toilets. Students from the Mission Mountain School also pitched in. "They picked up lots of rocks and logs and did it willingly," Reed said.

http://www.seeleyswanpathfinder.com/pfn ... lpark.html
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »
my ass, willingly, i doutb that. how many teen girls would be so willing to move rokcs and logs? i don't know, jsut doesn't seem like something most kids would do so willingly. not the ones i've know anyway.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 08:16:00 PM »
while i think volunteer work is lovely, it should be voluntary, not coercively voluntary.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
No kidding, I'm sure staff at MMS encouraged all the girls to reap the benfits of their charity by running down and signing up for pony tail league. What a crock!!!!

Offline kerryberry420

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
wow. i have not been on this site in awhile and looking at whay everyone is writing i wish i ahd never posted on here in the first place because now i feel responsible for the crap people are saying.  the teen help industry is NOT bad, at least 90% of kids sent a way need to be.  i plan on owning my old wilderness program after college, are you guys going to say i am hurting kids? i have NOTHING against mission mountain all i wanted to do by posting on here is have discussion about how i think that there needs to be a government aganecy created to monior all of these programs.  yeah i disagree with some things that were done while i was at mms, but they are NOT abusive and do not need to be shut down. a lot of the people that are posting in here and saying bad things about mms and the staff didn't even go to mms.  so many things i have read on this site make me sick.  you (whoever your are) have no right to be talking about people that you don't even know, i am talking about someone that said stuff about mike's son is particulat, that is disgusting and disgraceful.  i really wish i had never posted on here.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 05:30:00 PM »
Kerry, don't flatter yourself. I'm fairly certain your posts did not cause anybody to think or say what they have. Has it occured to you that these other people with whom you dissagree about MMS might be as intelligent, insightful and competent as you are? More, even?

No? Then I think you'll make a fine and dandy little cult leader. And yes, if you're holding kids against their will and imposing CEDU style mindfucking on them, then yes, I'll call that abusive.

Fear believes--courage doubts. Fear falls up the earth and prays--- courage stands erect and thinks. Fear is barbarism---courage is civilization. Fear believes in witchcraft, devils and ghosts. Fear is religion, courage is science.
--Robert G. Ingersoll, American politician and lecturer

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 06:38:00 PM »
kerry,

just what exactly did u have problems with?  and if it was not abusive then what was it?

btw- i have some legislative thing i'm involved in if you're interested- legit people, shrinks held in high regard and their respective organizations. From what they have heard about this industry and MMS they have expressed to me that their methods are highly suspect especially given they are not based on any methods that has been written for peer review, documented as effective nor scrutinized by professionals.  

Abuse?  I guess it's all up to the individual.  I am glad you have concluded you were not abuse, that must be a big relief for you.  I guess some of us weren't as lucky.  Regardless, as you have said, there were things that were worthy of disagreement...as the PhD's have said to me- we received less rights than juvenile delinquents- this is one problem.  Among the long list of complaints you and I have spoken about I would say that taking away rights may be construed as abuse- but to each his own definition.

I know your stressed- returning to MMS for the reunion after having posted and stated quite angrily all you have I would imagine you are a ball of nerves and anxious to get in J and C's good graces, I don't blame you- but I know my experiences and heard what you have said previously and, now that I understand what shrinks hold as legitamate methods of therapy  I feel even more confident about what I've said and that I'm not some disgruntled alumni- I stand my ground firmly and wonder why coincidently you have had such a strong change of heart when you spoke loudly and clearly before?  

In anycase- maybe you should talk to John about why he lobbied so strongly against regulation (esp since you are so pro regulation) and why there is such strong opposition growing among actual experts.  I would be curious to know. No one is saying, well, at least I'm not and I don't think the experts are saying that these places need to be shut down, but  from what I gather and from what I have been told these programs need to be run quite differently and held to a much higher set of standards, like maybe follow basic standards of ethics.  For instance the labor thing, as mentioned above and we have spoken about is up there on the list of things that are most certainly cause for concern.  So this is a very exciting time and would be cool for you to be a part of it.

wishing u the best,

kat

[ This Message was edited by: katfish on 2005-08-10 16:00 ]
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline katfish

• View Profile
    • http://www.cafety.org
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 07:45:00 PM »
oh, btw- i've been speaking out against MMS for years now- don't feel bad.  I would have started this up again myself if you hadn't.  you can let go of that weight.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:00 PM »
you do have to appreciate at least the irony of Mikes son killing himself.  Maybe it was way out of line to comment otherwise, like placing a certain culpability on him b/c you found Mike was sadistic.  So, maybe the entire thing was said out of disgust and anger- for that reason worth ignoring, but also there is a certain irony that, try as we may, tragic as the story is, can't be ignored.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
KERRY,

you are not responsible for what is being posted here. The issue would have ben pushed any way eventually. Why do you keep on changing your mind about the school? It makes you seem very strange. I think I have seen you change your mind about 5 times. What is the deal? When I post on this site I do even think about you. I think about the real problems of Mission Mountain. I don't think everyone's like "Kerry started all of this." I think that you have concern about what other previous mms students think about you. Some who might be convincing you that you are WRONG. But you need to realize that you are not. If they are your true friends why do they not stick up for what is right? I also mainly believe that you shuld not give yourself all of the credit of this site because you have not been consistent with what you are saying. So basically its hard to read your posts anymore. I know what I believe and I have stuck to it since the begining. Just stick what to you believe in the first place.

Peace

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »
I know do you think your like the Godess of this site?...you make no sence...first you say how terrible the school is then you say how its NOT  abusive at all? Make up your mind...we will all stick to what we believe....you can just twirl yorself around in confusion while the rest of us continue with this matter..and doing something about it.