Author Topic: Peninsula Village  (Read 393248 times)

Offline DieYuppieSkum

• View Profile
Re: Peninsula Village
« Reply #1995 on: February 04, 2008, 06:36:56 PM »
McCallum was my math teacher (she stunk at teaching me)

Poore was a slack jawed redneck with a huge overbite whose  breath smelled worse the a dead coon on the interstate. He too was a teacher for me and my "homeroom" teacher before Jones left.
(it was hard to take Poore seriously because he sounded like a stereotypical hillbilly)

I vaguely remember Taylor.

Did she kind of have a coppery colored hair with very slanted eyes that made her look as if she was always stoned?

Anyways all these people can and will burn in hell.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline act.da

• View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: February 04, 2008, 07:34:33 PM »
This may have already been posted, but here's an interesting webpage I came across:
http://hipmama.com/node/21441
<&/PV>
[size=85]"that protester guy is still coming"[/size]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: February 05, 2008, 01:51:31 AM »
that was an interesting web page,
what i like is how this woman grows up and suddenly she gets A's and is fine
i've found something similiar, it's like as soon as you are old enough to have some ability to know what the hells up and are not just a kid and can navigate your own life and don't need others to do it for you everything is sane, hmmm
so pv people are leaving and being fired huh?  
that's good news

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: February 05, 2008, 02:11:05 AM »
does anyone know anything about Dr. Rudolph being fired?  
he was the hairy therapist from when I was in, and abigail said he was her shrink so i'm guessing he was fired in the early 2000's
one of the weird pv alumni over on Myspace, they are weird zen sorry, like angry zombie red guard the top three are, i was yelling at them, they are very rude and foul mouthed creatures
 interestingly, although they are very good at literally chanting PV slogans, they still tell weird pv stories, there are some good ones under the topic "your funniest pv moment."
  not very funny moments, most include restraints
but the one says Dr. Rudolph was fired because he had abused his own child?  
I was just wondering if anyone knew how to find out more about that?  
knoxville papers?  maybe

Offline DieYuppieSkum

• View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: February 05, 2008, 03:05:14 AM »
Dr Rudolph was my individual therapist... never heard anything of that nature.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
« Reply #2000 on: February 05, 2008, 02:59:17 PM »
_ Zen Agent:_________
Thanks for posting, it's interesting to hear from a PV counselor who went through the Covenant transition. The program is off the rails these days. If you don't mind me asking, were you there when Dr. Vance Sherwood was clinical director, and do you know if Bob Pegler has a degree in Psychology? I appreciate any input you might have from your time there.

Reply from expvstaff
Honestly, I'm a bit unsure about posting here. It is very upsetting to me to read from folks (you included) about what the Village is seen as now or how it was experienced. This guy Turtle was there when I was there, and I surely worked with him. I felt like most of what I did (what PV did too) was helpful and therapeutic and probably unique. I worked with an Administrator who often agreed to keep a kid for an extra 2 or 3 months after the expiration of insurance benefits because that's what they needed. We did discharge kids who ran out of benefits sometimes but I really felt like we had a good relationship with many families and many insurance companies.

It's hard to reconcile that spirit of goodwill and energy with what is being related here. Not saying we saved everyone or turned every kid around, but I was proud of what we did and knew that I was making a difference. That was very important to me, because I knew that we were tough and demanding.

Covenant opened up the floodgates of state-custody kids (foregoing the majority private insurance kids) and that brought in huge numbers of very challenging patients who were facility-hardened and not interested in therapy. They were much angrier on the whole, and staff assaults (and consequently, PCI's) went up.

I worked with Dr. Sherwood and found him to be a pretty brilliant guy, actually. His ideas on group dynamics (treat the individual by creating a group dynamic that rewarded the group for an individual's efforts) were a key to what we did. He felt that since peer pressure is one of the biggest influences on adolescents, then that should be used to help in positive ways. Working with Dr. Sherwood was one of the better things about working there for me. He struggled with the Covenant transition and left by the 1997 or so.

Bob Pegler, as I said, doesn't resemble to me the person described in some of the posts. Bob's "gift", to me, was a natural ability to get to the heart of the matter with kids who desperately needed to be understood. He was a no b.s. kind of guy but I never

Zen Agent
29 November 2007, 11:52

Thanks for the insight into the old PV. I think they suffer from program drift and the corporate bottom line mentality. DCS quit referring kids to PV after some unknown disaster, so PV may be suffering from a drought of patients.

expvstaff
1 December 2007, 11:50

I absolutely think that bringing in more kids in state custody compromised the program in many ways. You ended up getting more patients who spent longer times in STU or whose goals for treatment were modified to no longer include a stay in the cabin program. We saw kids come in and we knew that we'd only have them for 3 or 4 months; once they were "stabilized" in STU, they were discharged to group homes, foster care, home, or other facilities. Naturally, they often had little motivation to progress as they knew they were short-timers. The use of group dynamics and treating the individual by treating the group seemed, in my opinion, less effective. Some of the state patients had no interest in progressing. When you've been in 15 different placements in 3 years and you're hopeless as a result, it is really difficult to believe that anything that you do is actually going to make a difference or that somehow you can break the cycle.

Beyond that, some of the newer patients were nuts. Just totally screwed up and at times psychotic. Pardon my frankness, but they weren't budging from their orientation to the world, and it didn't matter to some of them if they destroyed the group dynamics. They were scared, scarred, and damaged and they weren't giving in, no way, no how.

An unused cabin on both the boys and girls campuses were then utilized as "STU cabins", with round-the-clock awake staffing (as opposed to regular cabin staffing in which the counselors slept at night). Some cabin staff and some STU staff transferred to those programs; others were hired directly and trained specifically for these hybrids.

I believe that a security alarm system was rigged up for the STU cabins, in the event of a restraint or something. I know that lighting was an issue, and so a system with car batteries and lanterns was used so the overnight staff could record patient notes and more easily monitor the patients.

These "developments" further moved PV away from its origins as a unique environment designed to treat the treatment-resistent adolescent and into a place that seemed poised to mine whatever they could from whatever was out there.

Dr. Sherwood eventually grew disillusioned with the changes and left as well, I think by 1997. 

Message from expvstaff
1 December 2007, 14:36

after reading here (and on Fornits) about that counselor, I searched a bit and found the links and your email exchanges with her. It looks like her MySpace pages are gone, by the way.

One of the great fears about bringing in new staff is that, especially after Covenant came in, salary and standards were lowered (high school diploma okay instead of BS degree preferably in psych) and you got people with all manner of experience and inexperience. I know that there were a few people hired who had worked up at Mountain View in Dandridge, which was pretty different from PV at the time. PV ended up taking people who were less qualified and were willing to work for less money. A bad combination, as it turned out. We could no longer be as exclusive and picky when it came to hiring, as other places paid more.

I'm trying to remember some specifics about family therapy. FT was required but it usually wouldn't start face-to-face until after the kid had been in STU for about a month or had reached the 2nd level. That was one of the "carrots" that was held out to newbies. "See your family when you get to level 2."

I worked with some awesome family therapists who pushed and prodded, supported and examined, and worked those family dynamics. That went really well when there was an actual family involved. As I mentioned before, that happened a lot less with patients in state custody. Therapists began to come and go a bit more around 1993 or '94 and also as before, when that happened you lost that history, that sense of purpose that PV had early on. The newer FT's were professional but, if my memory is correct, were often pretty new and inexperienced. FT was a key component of what we were doing since the family was the preferred placement upon discharge. Patients were given TA's (therapeutic assignments) home for the weekend to "try out" coping strategies with the family in the months prior to discharge. Again, that was something that happened with kids who were at the Bear level (level 2 of 4) in the cabins.

I don't recall many instances of parents who were actively questioning what we were doing in the early 90's. Certainly we weren't given carte blanche and did whatever we wanted; I think it was more of a comprehensive approach to treatment that kept them involved and informed.

We had kids who got pulled out early (according to our treatment plan) by parents who had issues or grew impatient o

Zen Agent to expvstaff
1 December 2007, 16:41

Your last message got cut-off at the end - is there a word limit? The staff's blog disappeared after I emailed a link to PV's administrator and CC'd it to HIPAA/OHRS.

We were not allowed to question the program, anywhere. All we were told was "If you're against the program you're against your child". We were given a guideline that made the rounds of the mental health professionals we know, including some from CAFETY- to a person, all were shocked.

The program lost its direction, that's obvious. Every PV clinician we encountered seemed de-sensitized and intolerant of parental concerns, openly laughing at some questions and occasionally losing their tempers when questions came up they did not want to think about. One psychologist flipped when questioned about PV's success statistics - my wife knew they were based on a questionnaire sent to 121 people, I believe. Anyway, only 33% returned them, and that was PV's database. The psychologist got angry when this was brought up and growled "Why are you ASKING these questions?'

expvstaff
1 December 2007, 16:57

oh shoot...hate to see that it got cut off. It was a good one

I guess my main point is that parents were involved in therapy from the beginning, even if their kids were in STU and unable to attend FT meetings due to their level. Parents still came in for sessions. Dr. Sherwood believed that kids needed to take responsibility for what they were doing now as a result of things that had happened to them earlier in their lives...that they couldn't go back in time to figure out what had happened to them but would benefit instead from trying to understand how things in the past (and at home) were affecting them currently. FT was a big part of that, so I don't think that it is necessarily correct that he (or PV at the time) didn't promote FT or attempt to treat the family as a unit.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: February 07, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
when i said the pv alumni were foul mouthed critters i didn't mean swearing
it's one thing to use foul language as an adjective or an explanative, ie "i hate the fucking tv"
as opposed to using it as a verb. 
think about it, it's true
they are very aggressive the top three pro pv alumni, i bet they were charming in group
you basically have to leave so you don't have to kill them. joking and speaking metaphorically about the human condition.
in the words of the bumper sticker website "I can see you are going to be a major obstacle on my path to enlightenment."

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: February 07, 2008, 02:48:10 PM »
They have no regard for anyone who didn't "get with" PV's program.  I imagine they were unholy terrors in group.  They are evil, they were so obnoxious I decided to go ahead and post something on "Camp PV" that I knew would get me banned.  I called them the epitome of PV's success - a bunch of harping, ball-busting bitches...
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline act.da

• View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 07, 2008, 06:31:19 PM »
Just a factual FYI to all - in the following photo, Girls STU is on the top floor of the building and the meds facility is on the bottom:

http://www.fornits.com/pv/PVSTU.jpg
<&/PV>

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: February 07, 2008, 09:20:30 PM »
act.da -

More pics of PV with maps of the facilities, buildings explained and labeled, etc, would be very useful!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline SettleForNothingLess

• View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: February 07, 2008, 10:38:19 PM »
Oyy just seeing a pic of GAAU makes me want to hurl.
Yours Truly,
Ms. Vigilante
Im standing on the frontline, there waiting for you PV bitches. Lets rock n roll.

Offline DieYuppieSkum

• View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: February 08, 2008, 01:39:45 AM »
girl STU looks..... pretty.

Ours did not look like that with the flower and such.

Also ours was reverse of girl STU.

We had the YC on top and we were down below in a dungeon like setting.

Offline stoodoodog

• View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: February 08, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
Quote from: "DieYuppieSkum"
girl STU looks..... pretty.

Ours did not look like that with the flower and such.

Also ours was reverse of girl STU.

We had the YC on top and we were down below in a dungeon like setting.

DYS you can be certain that the "pretty look" of Girls STU is merely a facade. The only windows, the ones in the picture are heavily guarded by staff. I have heard many many stories of girls getting in trouble for looking out the windows and getting caught. They don't call it trouble though, I forget the term they use, some kind of program speak lingo.
The central admissions office looked "really pretty" too in a rustic way. The pretty faces inside were always gushing and overly friendly. Strange though, I could never shake that eerie feeling that would come over me the few times I went out there. I tried, I really did, but it was so quiet. Several times I was startled by a movement I would catch out of the corner of my eye. Do you know what it was? It was lines of kids scurrying like rodents. Really, by the time I turned towards the movement, they were gone.
I think the area is set up like a stage. PV keeps some pretty props around to be arranged and put into place at certain times. I am sure the Congressman's visit pulled out all the PV props...

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »
Jibby told me where the bathroom was in admissions.  He was none too friendly a guy.  I went back and peed in his office when he was away...

Offline act.da

• View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: February 09, 2008, 12:56:25 PM »
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=87739838

I am working at Peninsula Village as a Program Counselor for "behaviorally challenged" teenage girls and I truly believe this job will be the death of me, however at the same time I absolutely love being there!

<&/PV>