Author Topic: Peninsula Village  (Read 393094 times)

Offline Covergaard

• View Profile
    • http://www.carstenovergaard.dk
Abigail Vona
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 05:31:52 PM »
I have leant my copy to a person which actually works with children in Denmark. First he did not believe that such a place could exist. (He is into improving the conditions for children in Russia. They have prisons for youth also, but their conditions actually looks like the conditions at TB before they did improve some of the due to pressure from Europe)

His verdict is: She believe that she is being treated while she describes horrors. I hope that no one can read her book and actually believe that the conditions in any way was justified.

You just dont treat people like that - period! In my country we believe that the social network surrounding a child is anything and everything. A childs needs to have contact with both parents and siblings. If the parents used the children as tools in a divorce, it is the parents which needs to be treated - not the children.

Abigail Vona certainly have some problems with relationships, but I it my claim that almost anyone would end up with such problems, if they are isolated 10-12 months from their social network during their adolescence. Yes the man she dated was old, but she never had a responsible father so she took one from the street herself.

Zen. Your daugher was hurt, but she was so lucky that she had someone that loved and cared for her. Imaging the damage they could have inflicted onto her, if she did not know that fact that you did all in your power to free her and was detained there for a full year.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »
I feel bad for this lady and I know that the nature of these programs is that of thought reform. But I still find it unbelievable how some of these kids refuse to see their treatment as abusive.  When people like Abby Vona endorse this abusive treatment in books it only justifies abuse in the name of treatment, which is the last thing desperate parents need to hear. It's just so depressing knowing that some kids actually feel like they deserve this kind of horrible treatment, it's even worse when they promote it as something to consider for other kids...
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Oz girl

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »
Quote from: ""AtomicAnt""
I cannot imagine Vona's book being at all useful. Her responses in the interview were so cliche, they could have come straight from staff. It is clear that she drank the kool-aid, wants to brag about it, and cash in on it.

http://www.wordriot.org/template.php?ID=469

i dunno. i like to read what any kid who has gone through this sort of system has to say. i think it provides a valuable insight into the mindset  that a program encourages.
n case you\'re worried about what\'s going to become of the younger generation, it\'s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.-Roger Allen

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
    • http://www.freepowerboards.com/strugglingppl/index.php
Peninsula Village
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 10:33:40 PM »
Quote from: ""Covergaard""

Abigail Vona certainly have some problems with relationships, but I it my claim that almost anyone would end up with such problems, if they are isolated 10-12 months from their social network during their adolescence. Yes the man she dated was old, but she never had a responsible father so she took one from the street herself.

I agree she has relationship problems, but starting a relationship with Doug Dechert seemed opportunistic.  They both knew the deal when it started, I believe, so Doug's venting seems excessive.

One of the PV counselors with a Livejournal blog said PV considered suing Vona but backed off, probably due to her pro-PV stance in interviews.  I'm skeptical of the sincerity of her endorsement, especially considering the PR machine that went to work on getting the book actually written and putting Abigail Vona's "bad girl" image out in a media blitz that essentially failed.  Jay Mcinnery was responsible for the book, and he has the common sense to put a spin on a sensational book to avert litigation.  McInnery had the connections, but the book never made the impact  they wanted.  I searched everywhere for a copy and found it at Borders in the children's section, maybe it was hard to classify.  It was too poorly written to be accepted as adult non-fiction, so I can understand it being thrown in the teen-angst section.

Abigail did have the "I deserve to be here" mentality, and that's sad.  I hate to think PV's environment was more stable than her home.  No one stopped to think what would happen after her sudden ejection from PV.  The book may seem like a "break" for her, but I think she was exploited and fucked over by McInerry as well as Dechert.  I worry what will happen to her now that the fifteen minutes of fame are about up.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 10:49:03 PM »
I searched everywhere for a copy and found it at Borders in the children's section

Hell fucking no.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2007, 11:55:12 PM »
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""
I searched everywhere for a copy and found it at Borders in the children's section

Hell fucking no.

Yeah, the next time I saw a copy was at Hastings in the "true crime" section.
\"Allah does not love the public utterance of hurtful speech, unless it be by one to whom injustice has been done; and Allah is Hearing, Knowing\" - The Qur\'an

\"I\'m there to handle kids that are psychotic, suicidal, homicidal, or have commited felonies. Oh yeah, I am also there to take them down when they are rowdy so the nurse can give them the booty juice.\"

Offline stoodoodog

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »
Quote from: ""ZenAgent""
Quote from: ""Milk Gargling Death Penalty""

Hell fucking no.

Yeah, the next time I saw a copy was at Hastings in the "true crime" section.

Actually Borders had it shelved properly in the (tiny) Young Adult non-fiction section but I had seen it at other bookstores in the True Crime section as well.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 12:01:58 PM »
Mokara, could you PM me, or use [email protected]?  I've posted your story on here before, and we're trying to get something done.  I've been trying to get a message to you since I first read the horror story you posted. Your account was the first thing my wife read about PV, you can imagine her reaction.

Abby Vona' book is a joke.  I don't mean to bash her, but she comes off as not being the sharpest knife in the drawer.  She never realized the treatment she got was illegal, unethical, and hellish brutal.  I don't know if anyone read the chapter of her newest book that was posted on MySpace, but she didn't seem to be doing well, PV's "treatment" didn't have any lasting effect in the real world.  She's still sober (she didn't have any real "addiction" to begin with) but look at how she got her book published.  She slept with a guy old enough to be her father, offered him fellatio for favors, and dropped him when the book was a done deal.

Why are you blaming her? Why not the older, sleazy publisher guy who slept with her and offered the publishing deal for a bj? And if she did do this, guess what? There are women out there doing this every day in many professions to get in, get promoted, etc. Does that make it right? NO.

Mental illness is a life long disease. I know, I have one. I have periods of doing great and periods of not so great. I take meds and I go to therapy. I was sexually abused. Taking responsibiity for the abuse doe not mean I caused it or asked for it. Far from it. It means that I accept that I was violated and can not change that. And rather than live in the misery and oh woe is me mentality, I decide that i have control over how it now effects me. It doesn't own me, I own it. And NO, I did not go to PV or any other behavior modification boot campt.

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 12:24:37 PM »
She sought the guy out.  I agree she was used.  I also think she used him.  I never defended Dechert.  As I said, "I think she was exploited and fucked over by McInerry as well as Dechert. I worry what will happen to her now that the fifteen minutes of fame are about up."  So no, I don't blame her, but I find the whole thing a bit sordid.  He blasted her on his site, she cracks on him in interviews and her MySpace.  Also, the "BJ" did not get her the book deal, that was a later enticement.  Once again, I don't mean to bash her, I think she's going to have a rough time of it. So...?  If I'm aware that she was victimized, as I said earlier on, what's your point?  Best of luck to you and Abigail.

Offline stoodoodog

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 05:22:31 AM »
Quote from: ""DBT4ME""
Why are you blaming her? Why not the older, sleazy publisher guy who slept with her and offered the publishing deal for a bj? And if she did do this, guess what? There are women out there doing this every day in many professions to get in, get promoted, etc. Does that make it right? NO.

Mental illness is a life long disease. I know, I have one. I have periods of doing great and periods of not so great. I take meds and I go to therapy. I was sexually abused. Taking responsibiity for the abuse doe not mean I caused it or asked for it. Far from it. It means that I accept that I was violated and can not change that. And rather than live in the misery and oh woe is me mentality, I decide that i have control over how it now effects me. It doesn't own me, I own it. And NO, I did not go to PV or any other behavior modification boot campt.

Thank you for this...whatever THIS is- other than illucid??????

Offline RobertBruce

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 04:06:48 PM »
Bump.

Offline Kreflo

• View Profile
PV hates gaylords
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2007, 09:38:59 AM »
As I stated in the above thread they don't make any claims to treat homosexuality, but the new influx of Christian majority staffers certainly frown upon it and it is treated very aggressively in the Secure Treatment portion of the program.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2007, 05:50:17 PM »
Mokara, could you PM me, or use [email protected]?  I've posted your story on here before, and we're trying to get something done.  I've been trying to get a message to you since I first read the horror story you posted. Your account was the first thing my wife read about PV, you can imagine her reaction.

Abby Vona' book is a joke.  I don't mean to bash her, but she comes off as not being the sharpest knife in the drawer.  She never realized the treatment she got was illegal, unethical, and hellish brutal.  I don't know if anyone read the chapter of her newest book that was posted on MySpace, but she didn't seem to be doing well, PV's "treatment" didn't have any lasting effect in the real world.  She's still sober (she didn't have any real "addiction" to begin with) but look at how she got her book published.  She slept with a guy old enough to be her father, offered him fellatio for favors, and dropped him when the book was a done deal.

PERSONALLy i dont see how its the guys fault...it sounds like any other relationship turned sour with the fact she probably was borking him for a book deal thrown in......

Offline ZenAgent

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 12:53:14 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

PERSONALLy i dont see how its the guys fault...it sounds like any other relationship turned sour with the fact she probably was borking him for a book deal thrown in......

I thought they both knew the nature of the relationship, but after reading more about Abigail's behavior since the book, I believe she was practicing the manipulative skills PV taught her.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Peninsula Village
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 01:39:19 PM »
Well, what I dont get is that her publishers describe her as barely literate...how can someone who is barely literate write a book?