Author Topic: Back to School Weirdness  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« on: November 14, 2002, 10:34:00 AM »
Being from out of town (I was from Balto., the program was in VA) I did not have to deal with going back to school and facing my "druggie friends", as a lot of you did. That must have been so damn awkward to have to say shit like, "I'm straight now, I don't want to talk to you..." or whatever...this was one of the plusses of being from out of town...of course it also made copping out that much harder...Alex
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 04:04:00 PM »
I was in Boston and from upstate NY. 4 1/2hrs away. totally fucked in the cop out dept. but not stuck with the whole druggie friends at school thing. I think I would of traded the embarassment to be closer to home. I really think I could have gotten away if I was closer to home...who am I kidding I know I was screwed no matter what. I guess my friends got spared my bad haircut at least. :!

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 05:21:00 PM »
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2002, 06:02:00 PM »
...the above post? kaydee? anyone? What do I mean what is going on? I mean is there SUPPOSED to be some kind of 'random quote generator' in effect up there? I'm just curious...and if so, I'd like to know how that works thru html...pretty neat little 'magic trick' there!

[ This Message was edited by: AlexL on 2002-11-14 20:21 ]

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 11:42:00 AM »
Hey Alex,
   Yeah, that's what's going on. You can set that up in your profile (little orange list to the left)
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Budonkadonk

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2002, 05:01:00 PM »
Went back to my old school when I hit 3rd phase.  It sucked.  I had a girlfriend when I went in, as well as a lot of friends who didn't understand why I couldn't talk to them.  I had a graduate at school, but was not allowed to talk to her.

I dressed way different than I used to, and had to make all new friends.  Well, actually, I was able to hang out with soem OLD frineds from before I used drugs, since they weren't "Durggie friends"  I got to be a nerd again.  There were two social workers at my School (Lake Braddock H.S., for any people in Sporingfield VA Straight) who ran a support group for students in recovery.  I ate lunch with one of them almost every day, and looked forward to the weekly group sessions as the only good thing going.  Imagine group therapy where no one yells at you?

The pluses of going back to my old school like this were:

1) Had Tons of faculty and staff support
2) Young people who were sober that I could talk to
3) actually having time to study, since I really couldn't talk to many people, and ate many lunches in the library.

I got to work in the office, and I remember once having to send a note to get my druggie girlfriend out of class once.  I did it since I didn't have to talk to her, and never brought it up in group.

The hard part was that I had to repeat the 11th grade.  There was no school for first phasers, and I missed the second half when I went it.

When I turned 18 and was called in, and saw the writing on the walls during a Thursday dismissal rap that I was going to be set back, I thought about the kids I went to school with who were sober.  I was in 4th phase and had never been to an AA meeting.

These kids were doing it without Straight.  I knew my ass was toast if I went to Friday open meeting and rap afterwards.  SO I woke up on Friday, and copped out.  I never looked back, and have been sober ever since.

After I was out and could talk to my friends again, they were interested in me for .005 seconds before they realized how much I had changed.  Druggie girlfriend had a new boyfriend, and gave her virginity to him.

Man, that sucked hearing that.

Too many memories from that time.

My most prized possesion was my walk man.  I got to listen to it on the Metro bus ride from school and for the walk down Backlick road to the building.  Anyone remeber that you couldn't bring radios into the building?  You had to find a place to stash it outside by the parking lot, and retrieve it when you got out before you got in your car.

Someone stole mine.  That sucked almost as much as the news about the Girlfriend.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Back to School Weirdness
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2002, 10:55:00 PM »
I was a totally FOS 2nd phaser planning split when my parents came up from Fl to visit for thanksgiving 1982.  My kid sis was like 13 and had this new radio thing called a walkman.  I had never listened to one as I had been in for almost 2 years.  I will never forget hearing Don Henleys "Dirty Laundry", as it was my first walkman tune.  My parents couldn't get the damned thing off my head, as we toured Atlanta on a special 2nd phase permission.
I split for good soon after, and got one of my own.  
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82